Non-motoring > The horse and the garage door Green Issues
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 17

The horse and the garage door - hawkeye
Having just replaced the lock on the garage double up-and-over door and adjusted the linkage from inside, I pushed it open slowly (as usual; it's got a bit of derailment history) to the spectacle of a horse walking backwards down the street on its hind legs. Naturally I stood around to see what other tricks it could do. Once the rider had got it landed she turned on me and said "Thank you very much; thank you very very much you inconsiderate (I'm not going to test the swear filter here)". I was a bit taken aback; I've never been abused for leaving my garage before so my lame reply was that I was pleased she and horsey were OK but if it couldn't cope with a garage door being opened, maybe it shouldn't be out and about among cars and such.

What would you have said; or should I report myself to the RSPCA forthwith?
 The horse and the garage door - Bellboy
was she on a mobile phone as well?
they usually are round my way
 The horse and the garage door - FotheringtonTomas
When threatened by an animal such as this, make yourself look as big as possible, e.g. by holding your arms wide apart, and make a lot of noise... "YARR! YARR!!" should be appropriate, while jumping up and down.

Does your garage open directly onto the road?
 The horse and the garage door - Bellboy
would it be easier if whilst living near horsie thingies one should wear the attire of batman so the flapping of wings looks even better to old bessie ?FT?
 The horse and the garage door - madf
Of course you know the horse bolts after the stable door is closed...so it's all YOUR fault. And you're a MAN.

>> Does your garage open directly onto the road?
>>

The garage is at right angles to the road and opens into a yard; easily visible for pedestrians and horse riders alike.

I like the garage door mural.
 The horse and the garage door - Biggles
Sounds like your comments were very restrained. Perhaps she was wondering why your garage door didn't look like this

www.style-your-garage.com/us/motivbig_check_popup.php?id=110

As a safety measure, perhaps we should campaign for a law to be introduced to make these cumpulsory?
 The horse and the garage door - Robin O'Reliant
I never trust horses. Any animal that can crap while it's walking is one to be wary of.

It's not natural.
 The horse and the garage door - Iffy
...she turned on me and said...

I'm surprised BBD has been unable to resist giving us his views on horsey lasses in jodhpurs.
 The horse and the garage door - BiggerBadderDave
"horsey lasses"

There's a lass that looks like a horse presenting Live at Studio Five. Hideous thing.

I like a bit of riding myself, not done it for a while though. I take the kids from time to time.
 The horse and the garage door - Iffy
...There's a lass that looks like a horse presenting Live at Studio Five...

I see Sugar binned the one with equine features in The Apprentice last night.

'Plain Jane' would be a kinder description.

The horse and the garage door - BobbyG
Visited the local Dogs Trust yesterday, they have viewing windows with an area for the dog and then there is a small door with a flap over it that the dogs can go through into a bigger pen at the back.

One dog came running backwards from outside and jumped the step and came through the hatch whilst we were there. It was like watching a tape being rewound it was so perfect an entrance!
 The horse and the garage door - Pat
>>Visited the local Dogs Trust yesterday<<<

Did you come away with the one with the big sad eyes that no-one else would ever want?

Pat
 The horse and the garage door - Fenlander
>>>Did you come away with the one with the big sad eyes that no-one else would ever want?

I think Bobby's married already Pat :-)
 The horse and the garage door - R.P.
Iffy,

At this point my MiL would respond by saying, "you're no oil painting !" :-)
Thing is H riding a horse/pony about is a bit like someone pulling the pin on a grenade and asking you to look after it for the afernoon. No matter that the advert would have said bomproof there is always something that will spook them. The horse in question probably needs an extended garage door aclimatisation and I see you as the caring local guy to offer this. A couple of hours spent spinning/rearing with horseshoes grinding into your drive and a torrent of blue language from the young lady should sort it :-)
Ah, F, the voice of reason.

Not keen; "the young lady " should read "the tubby old harridan".

I wouldn't mind but the street is a horsey route marked by piles of horse poo visible on Google Earth and many's the time I've belayed starting up mowers or other machinery while they walked past. Once years ago I had to break into conversation between 2 riders to ask if they minded me firing up a mower as their mounts were fidgeting around in my gateway.
>>>the tubby old harridan

Oh that changes things... run as fast as your legs will carry you.
Latest Forum Posts