Non-motoring > Catapult elastic Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 21

Catapult elastic - L'escargot
In my younger days I had a catapult which had 1/4" square elastic. I can't remember the make of the catapult but it was a silvery colour. I yearned to be able to give an effective pull on 3/8" square elastic but I was too puny. What's the strongest catapult elastic you can get these days?
 Catapult elastic - Lygonos
Sir will be wanting one of these...

www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Barnett_Diablo_Slingshot.html

Or for a more discreet "tooling up" perhaps....

www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Barnett_Black_Widow_Slingshot.html
 Catapult elastic - Old Navy
Valve cap problems, L'es?
 Catapult elastic - Cliff Pope
Peashooters are more discrete.
 Catapult elastic - Clk Sec
BBD will be working overtime on this one, L'escargot.
>> Valve cap problems, L'es?
>>

I wouldn't think that projecting valve caps from a catapult was very exciting!
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 18:26
 Catapult elastic - hawkeye
I see they are referred to as "slingshots". Rubbish; they're catapults. A slingshot is something you whirl around and let half of it go to release the missile. Something to do with catapults being illegal I believe.

Cliff, while I'm in grumpy pedant mode; it's "discreet". "Discrete" = separate.
 Catapult elastic - CGNorwich
"Something to do with catapults being illegal I believe."

Don't think so - Amazon have dozens for sale and you can buy one in any fishing tackle shop. - Used for groundbaiting
 Catapult elastic - FotheringtonTomas
>> I see they are referred to as "slingshots". Rubbish; they're catapults. A slingshot
>> is something you whirl around and let half of it go to release the missile.

A catapauly is that thing with stretchy elastic; a sling is the thing you attack Goliaths with. A slingshot is normally a pebble. All this is down to creeping americanisation - and that's down to crap cartoons and cheap imports on TV.
 Catapult elastic - FotheringtonTomas
You're nowhere near being pedantic - just correct.
>>
>>
>> Cliff, while I'm in grumpy pedant mode; it's "discreet". "Discrete" = separate.
>>

Yes, I'm so sorry. I felt something didn't look quite right as I typed it, but hovering between looking it up and pressing the button, I went nuclear.
 Catapult elastic - DP
>> Sir will be wanting one of these...
>>
>> www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/Barnett_Diablo_Slingshot.html

I've got one of those somewhere, which I bought about 15 years ago. Would effectively put a marble through a shiplap shed wall at about 5 metres. So I was told... ;-)

I have absolutely no idea what happened to it. ISTRC I paid about £15 for it back then, so it's actually got a lot cheaper since, with inflation factored in.
 Catapult elastic - Dog
>>Would effectively put a marble through a shiplap shed wall at about 5 metres. So I was told... ;-)<<

Shouldn't that be :-(
 Catapult elastic - madf
I had one of those catapults as a kid. rather inaccurate. i preferred a slingshot which was brutally efffective - hurling a pebble at very high speed.

I never hit my target with either... rabbits...
Moving up scale a bit, I've sometimes hankered after a trebouchet (I think they are called). I'm not sure where to get the elastic, but the performance is said to be impresive - hurling a piano half a mile, can that be true?
Half a mile might be a bit of an exaggeration and pianos are not the ideal missile but they were very effective machines. They have a full size working model at Warwick castle and I watched a demonstration last year. Rather graceful to watch - Like a very slow bowler!

Build your own:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_trebuchet_gl_toy?keywords=trebuchet&tag=lpo_ixdpamusukentrebuchetgl_toy-21&index=blended
 Catapult elastic - DP
Used to great effect on a Nissan Sunny by a relatively youthful looking Jeremy Clarkson in 1996, too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIbpVkxLKc
 Catapult elastic - hawkeye
Trebuchet; now you're talking! Youngest and I built one out of scrap as a school project using this handy online calculator. The machine is still around somewhere. We could lob marbles 15m across the garden and have them land consistently in a small wooden bowl. It was commended by class vote; it was the only machine that didn't naff out under test. Heh heh!

You don't need elastic for a trebuchet; it's all done by a falling weight and a long lever.

www.algobeautytreb.com/

Wouldn't mind one of these:

videos.howstuffworks.com/science-channel/29114-what-the-ancients-knew-the-roman-catapult-video.htm
 Catapult elastic - MD
Sounds like two parts of my anatomy.
I've remembered. My catapult was made by Milbro.
 Catapult elastic - MD
Milbro
Latest Forum Posts