Non-motoring > Water stain on a wall. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 23

Water stain on a wall. - Bigtee
I have the pleasure of decorating my grans room and there is a water stain on the wall were she had a burst pipe a few months back, It's all dry but this brown stain from mucky water is very visable.

So what is the best option for removing this so i can re paint the room?

The walls will be Magnolia colour type so it will have to be comlpetly gone or will come through.
 Water stain on a wall. - madf
Paint it with StainBlock
Thanks a trip to B&Q they may sell it.
 Water stain on a wall. - VxFan
Borrow L'escargot's dehumidifier. Recent posts have suggested it's not doing anything in his garage ;o)
lol.............
 Water stain on a wall. - L'escargot
>> Borrow L'escargot's dehumidifier. Recent posts have suggested it's not doing anything in his garage ;o)
>>

VxFan, just to put you straight ........

1. I put my car in the garage soaking wet and in the morning it's bone dry ~ regardless of the outside ambient conditions. That's proof enough for me of the effectiveness of my dehumidifier.

2. Drying the air in a room won't get rid of an old water stain on a wall. What's needed is Polycell Stain Block or something similar.
 Water stain on a wall. - VxFan
>> VxFan, just to put you straight ........

Did you miss the smilie L'escargot ?

If I put my car away soaking wet, it's also dry in the morning, without the need of a dehumidifier as the garage is well ventilated. Mind you, if it rains overnight, then the car is wet through in the morning as the garage roof leaks like a sieve, which is probably why the garage is so well ventilated ;o)

Sorry BT for the thread hijack.
 Water stain on a wall. - BiggerBadderDave
"I have the pleasure of decorating my grans room and there is a water stain on the wall were she had a burst pipe a few months back"

Tell her to try these:

tinyurl.com/38o76yo

Won't stop the "burst pipes" but should stop it spraying the walls.
Wash your mouth out with soap you silly man.
 Water stain on a wall. - FotheringtonTomas
Paint it with decent undercoat, "oil", not acrylic, by roller, do not drag it out. When two coats have dried, go over it with your off-white.
 Water stain on a wall. - Clk Sec
>>Paint it with decent undercoat
>>When two coats have dried

That's the way I would hide the stain if it was fairly small. Just don't try it with emulsion, unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands.
 Water stain on a wall. - henry k
>>Stain blocker
I have found that some of these even after several coats are not that good.
>>
Paint it with decent undercoat, "oil", not acrylic, by roller, do not drag it out. When two coats have dried, go over it with your off-white.
>> IIRC most paint is now water based by law
>>

Water stain on a wall. - Dog
This'll do the job - no worries!

www.blackfriar.co.uk/Shop/Product.aspx?cId=86&pgId=102
 Water stain on a wall. - The Nut
We had a bit of a leak at the begining of this year and I tried a spray can of stain block, found that it didn't cover much area and stunk the house out as well. A decorator happened to be working next door and he recomended using white undercoat like you would use before gloss on wood. Worked very well, once painted over with emulsion you can't tell where the stain is and this is on a white ceiling.
>> IIRC most paint is now water based by law

I have no idea wgere this particulat gem came from. There are more acrylics available, but "oil" paints are very common.
 Water stain on a wall. - henry k
>> >> IIRC most paint is now water based by law
>>
>> I have no idea where this particulat gem came from. There are more acrylics available,
>> but "oil" paints are very common.
>>
e.g. www.grumpyoldsod.com/paint.asp :-((
I suggest you pop along to your DIY place or Dulux Decorater Centre or Jewson's or wherever and have a look if you want to buy some.
 Water stain on a wall. - Mapmaker
I met an interior designer who told me he now imports all his paints from the States where he can buy "proper" oil-based paints.

Use Zinnser Bullseye 1-2-3 to cover the stain.
 Water stain on a wall. - Mapmaker
Zinsser, sorry.
 Water stain on a wall. - hawkeye
Light stain; let down some PVA glue so you can work it with a paintbrush. 2 coats and paint on top when dry. Watch out for brush marks. This is the cheap and cheerful solution.

Heavy stain; stain block.
 Water stain on a wall. - Dulwich Estate
Zinsser is great stuff - the only stuff, as I recall, which would effectively cover the nicotine staining on what were once white ceilings.
 Water stain on a wall. - MD
Concur, but get the right one. Speak to a paint merchant and not B&Q. I could tell you, but I am going to the land of nod and info is elsewhere. Sorry.

M
Forgot to say that the paint merchant can lightly tint some Zinsers or however it is bloomin' spelt.
P.V.A = PANTS.
Latest Forum Posts