Non-motoring > Hand torches Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 59

Hand torches - Iffy
The time of year is approaching for hand torches - particularly if you have a caravan in a field in leafy you-know-where.

A couple of questions.

I have cheap torches which seem to go flat over the summer even though they've not been switched on.

The same cheap torches often flicker rather than give a steady light.

Why is this?

Any recommendations for a decent hand torch?

Is LED the way forward?

OK, that's three questions, but who's counting?

Hand torches - Fenlander
3 answers...
LED
LED
LED
 Hand torches - Perky Penguin
Bite the bullet, and go for a Magilite. They are standard issue to police in USA as they double up as very effective truncheons! I also keep one of those wind-up rechageables in the car but for a tough long life Magilite is the way to go IMO.

www.torchdirect.co.uk/
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Wed 13 Oct 10 at 18:55
 Hand torches - CGNorwich
Bought one of these last winter- staggering performance!

www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Lenser-Police-Focus-Torch/dp/B000VZCV3I/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1286992778&sr=8-17

Hand torches - Old Navy
A Maglite 2D LED is more than adequate for illuminating anything with a crisp white light, the large batteries give long life, and the LED amazing brilliance.
 Hand torches - henry k
No question it has to be LED LED LED

I bought one like this from Tesco ( cos it was half price) but it does not wind up.
direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=208-2390
Rechargable from mains of car.

The LED headlights that strap on your dome are also good. Various number of LEDs in them.

I have many LED torches for all sorts of jobs - all are normal battery types.
Rolson do a wide range. I also have the two types that LIDL sell.

I have forgetten where my small Maglites are.
 Hand torches - R.P.
I bought a wind up torch - turned out to be a radio when I opened the box. :-0

LED for me these days...
 Hand torches - Old Navy
If you buy a LED torch do not buy one with multiple low powered LED's, get one with a single 3watt LED. (just like a VW, sorry Maglite).
 Hand torches - Tooslow
No, not Maglite. Not with a bulb anyway. My 2 * D cell Maglite is very disappointing, so it goes unused. I'll second (or 15th by now) LED. Petzl 3 LED head torch is ace. Pretty expensive though.

John
 Hand torches - BiggerBadderDave
"The time of year is approaching for hand torches - particularly if you have a caravan in a field in leafy you-know-where."

It might work out easier to buy a chemical toilet. Or keep a bottle handy. Two bottles if you're getting to 'that age'
 Hand torches - R.P.
Not so leafy soon either...
 Hand torches - Iffy
...Not so leafy soon either...

Already sweeping the leaves off the deck.

At least the telly reception might improve.

Hand torches - Bigtee
Camping shop supplied mine LED 2x AAA batteries it's fantastic for just under a fiver, waterproof which is more splash proof and slips in your pocket.
 Hand torches - rtj70
I have a smallish LED torch for use on holidays. It's not a ultra bright torch but it's usually bright enough and this year it was still on the original batteries from 2007. Used it every night on the walk back to the apartment this past few weeks.
 Hand torches - legacylad
For probably 30+ years I have used Petzl headtorches. They come in a wide variety...different lumens, sizes etc and are very reliable. I always keep one in my car, plus another in my rucsac. Castleberg Outdoors in Settle have a very extensive range, with discounted prices online. I also have a great mini maglite, but the option of fitting it to my head if I need to use my hands (no tittering at the back please) is the deciding factor. Lots of cheap imitations, but not recommended.
 Hand torches - Dog
I use 2 of these to walk Fido through fields before dawn (don't like LED'z)

www.screwfix.com/prods/18518/Lighting-Lamps/Torches-Task-Lighting/Torches/Power-Lantern-LWT996-1-x-PJ996-Torch
 Hand torches - Bigtee
Your not going to slip that lantern in many pockets are you.

Hand torches - Bellboy
just get some sticky back plastic and attach some of these on your bobble hat
goo.gl/sDdJ
 Hand torches - Iffy
...on your bobble hat...

Oh Bellboy, you are just so old.

I think 'beenie' is the term we should be using.

Hand torches - R.P.
...or Benny, remember them?
 Hand torches - Iffy
....or Benny...

Benny on Crossroads was once asked if he wanted black or white coffee.

"Neither," he replied. "I likes mine a sort of browny colour."

Priceless.

Hand torches - Runfer D'Hills
I've got a sheepskin lined, leather flying helmet I used to wear when driving the Westfield at night in Scotland. ( did I ever mention the Westfield?...)

My wife and son won't let me wear it now for winter walks and such despite its excellent thermal insulation properties...Can't see the problem myself...
 Hand torches - swiss tony
>> I've got a sheepskin lined, leather flying helmet I used to wear when driving the
>> Westfield at night in Scotland. ( did I ever mention the Westfield?...)

You drove a West London shopping centre??
I never knew that was possible!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 13 Oct 10 at 21:09
 Hand torches - Dog
>>Your not going to slip that lantern in many pockets are you<<

S'right BigT, But I like a strong powerful beam so I can light up the night sky,

I bought one of those rechargable 2 million candle power jobbies a few years a'back,
20 blimmin minutes and it left me in complete darkness on Bodmin Moor :(
 Hand torches - spamcan61
>>
>> I bought one of those rechargable 2 million candle power jobbies a few years a'back,
>> 20 blimmin minutes and it left me in complete darkness on Bodmin Moor :(
>>

I had a couple like that from Screwfix, I could signal to low flying aircraft with 'em but about 15 minutes battery life. Bloomin' useless for navigating round the village after dark.
 Hand torches - Bromptonaut
Definitely LED. The Cateye headlamp originally on the first Brommy is well good enough for unlit roads. Unclips from the bike and makes a perfect torch.
 Hand torches - Dog
>>but about 15 minutes battery life. Bloomin' useless for navigating round the village after dark<<

Shame really because BOY were they bright!
We've got quite a few mini "Mag-Lites". Little ( about 2.5" long ) metal torches. We started aquiring them when we lived in a very remote house which was subject to frequent power cuts. There's still one on each of our keyrings, in each car glove box, in each bedside cabinet drawer. One in a kitchen drawer and one in every bathroom cabinet. One hangs by the back door ( guinea pig feeding for the expedience thereof )

They give a good bright light which can be focused and if you unscrew the lens they turn into little electric candles.

Old habits etc...
 Hand torches - Bigtee
Ok next time you walk the mutt take this with you and a generator: en.wikivisual.com/images/8/8d/Searchlight_-_WWII_anti-aircraft.JPG
 Hand torches - Dog
>>Ok next time you walk the mutt take this with you and a generator<<

Now THAT is one heck of a Lantern ... I've actually seen those in use in the 60's.
 Hand torches - Ted

So the Beast of Bodmin got lost in the dark, eh ?

I had one as well, Doggo. Gave up in the end, didn't last long enough to even try and bring the Police helicopter down ! Brill beam though.

Recently bought 3 nice LED jobbies at the Shell garage for £3.99 each. Just tagged them on when I filled up. Nice light, about 25/30 LEDs and a smaller one, 8ish LEDs at the end, folding swivel hook and a magnet on the back. Used the workshop one a lot since.

The thread reminded me I have a larger LED, rechargable one, in the garage....I'll dig it out tomorrow. I've got the usual Maglite and two rubber hand lantern types, 4 U2 batteries.
They're ok. A couple of wind-ups make up the collection

A very useful one is the little 1 LED torch on the key ring of the Vitara......came with the car 3/4 yrs ago and has never failed. Useful if a fuse has blown or you need a bit of light under the bonnet.

Ted
 Hand torches - Dog
>>So the Beast of Bodmin got lost in the dark, eh ?<<

I just knew I'd live to regret the day I posted that mugshot!
 Hand torches - corax
>> For probably 30+ years I have used Petzl headtorches.

They are brilliant. I've got one of these and I can't recommend it highly enough.

www.roughgear.co.uk/Product.aspx?product=137&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=productfeed
 Hand torches - FotheringtonTomas
>> I have cheap torches which seem to go flat over the summer even though they've
>> not been switched on.

Poor batteries?

>> The same cheap torches often flicker rather than give a steady light.

Poor connections - either the battery, bulb, or items like "end caps". Clean them and do them up properly to fix.

>> Any recommendations for a decent hand torch?

Lidl have a 4W LED torch tomorrow:

www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_14684.htm

Buy it.
 Hand torches - diddy1234
Halford's once had these torches that do not require any batteries what so ever.
The torch contain capacitors and to charge it up it just needed shaking for 20 odd seconds.

Apparently these are standard issue for the American military.

a quick search shows :-
www.safield.co.uk/waterproof-shake-torch-no-batteries-required--p-503.html

I have had it in my car for over 5 years now and still works a treat.
 Hand torches - FotheringtonTomas
>> Lidl have a 4W LED torch tomorrow:
>> www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_14684.htm

Got one today. Very good.
Don't forget modern torch etiquette and how to hold one's flash light properly. Arm up close to the side of the head, torch turned round so that when gripping the shaft, one's pinky is closest to the lamp. Don't embarrass yourself by holding it at waist level with thumb on the off switch.

Similarly, with one's 9mm automatic. Arm out straight, weapon held horizontally (or sideways) but never, ever at waist level and in the conventional upright position.
 Hand torches - CGNorwich

I've wondered about that BBD - Seems universal with police, both real and the TV type. Holding torch at waist level now very Dixon of Dock Green. Wonder where the fashion came from?
 Hand torches - CGNorwich
A little furhter research reveals that the head level method is the "modified FBI grip.

For more ways of being cool whilst carrying a flashlight (sorry, torch is so last century) see

www.ehow.com/how_6139048_hold-tactical-flashlight.html
"Always practise with an unloaded weapon"

Good advice, I'd say...
 Hand torches - Iffy
..but never, ever at waist level and in the conventional upright position...

Cowboys 'shot from the hip' to get the bullet away faster.

Lifting the gun any higher wastes time.
 Hand torches - MD
cluson.co.uk or cluson. something. Brilliant (sic) products.

Martin.
 Hand torches - Dog
Proper job MD ~ www.cluson.co.uk/index.aspx
"Cowboys 'shot from the hip' to get the bullet away faster."

Cops go in with the weapon drawn though. But you're right to imply that cowboys are way more stylish and look cool.
>> cowboys are way more stylish and look cool.

Maybe so Dave. However, middle aged mancunians who dress up as cowboys are struggling a bit on the cool stakes I fear...Just saying...

:-)
I only wear the boots. You really wouldn't notice them unless I was wearing my bikini.
I've seen your hat too.
Aaah, yes...
Leather hat, Humph, leather.
 Hand torches - Kevin
>Leather hat, Humph, leather.

Oh dear! How uncool is that?

A real cowboy wouldn't be seen dead in a leather hat, it has to be fur felt. Beaver fur if you can afford it.

www.sheplers.com/hats/fur_felt_100x/096b98.html

You need to get them steam-pressed regularly to keep them in good nick though.

Kevin...
 Hand torches - Iffy
...Beaver fur if you can afford it...

Don't mention beaver to BBD, he'll never sleep tonight.

Hand torches - Kevin
>Don't mention beaver to BBD, he'll never sleep tonight.

Worrying about how many beavers he'd need to shave to make a $1000 cowboy hat?

Kevin...
It's been a while since I saw a beaver that wasn't already clean shaven.
 Hand torches - Iffy
...It's been a while since I saw a beaver that wasn't already clean shaven...

Hooray, got there in the end.

Well done Kevin, it was the shaving reference that smoked him out.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 21:49
 Hand torches - MD
Have you two got Gap insurance?
Fantastic. $1000 for hat eh? If I'm not drooling over Daimlers I'm snooping around the Sheplers website.

How about about one of these for the Lexus:

www.sheplers.com/hats/hat_accessories_care/101480.html
 Hand torches - Iffy
...How about about one of these for the Lexus...

If you had a Jag, you could put the hat on the rear parcel shelf.

(Never could understand why owners did that.)
 Hand torches - Kevin
>If you had a Jag, you could put the hat on the rear parcel shelf.

Not in an XJ he couldn't. The electric sun shade that rises out of the parcel shelf would put a nasty crease in it.

Kevin...
 Hand torches - corax
>> ...How about about one of these for the Lexus...
>>
>> If you had a Jag, you could put the hat on the rear parcel shelf.
>>
>> (Never could understand why owners did that.)

You just need a car with 'plenty of hat room in the back' as HJ would say in one of his videos.
 Hand torches - corax
>> ..but never, ever at waist level and in the conventional upright position...
>>
>> Cowboys 'shot from the hip' to get the bullet away faster.
>>
>> Lifting the gun any higher wastes time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvzfyqYm_s&feature=related
Latest Forum Posts