Non-motoring > Draughty PVCu windows Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 7

Draughty PVCu windows - Netsur
We had PVCu double glazed windows fitted in our bathroom a few years ago. I realised this week that one of the opening lights lets a bit of sound through when closed and has a very slight draught.

On closer inspection, the window does not shut tight against the black rubber seal fixed to the frame and presumably the opposite seal on the opening light does not seal against the frame on the outside. Can these windows be adjusted?
 Draughty PVCu windows - Dog
At our previous property, all the windows were UPVCDG, and they all failed the Ted Moult test,
I called in a chap who advertised in the local rag and he replaced the hinges which had become worn over the years,
Why don't you get back to the Co who fitted the windows.
 Draughty PVCu windows - Clk Sec
>>a few years ago.

The various firms that have installed DG for us over the years have given 10 year guarantees, but I guess you've already checked this.
 Draughty PVCu windows - PeteW
You may be able to adjust the hinges, or it may be that the rubber seals have compressed and no longer fill the space they originally did. If the company who fitted them is still going they should sort this under 10 year guarantee, unless they say it falls under a 'fair wear and tear' get out clause.
Some windows have a locking system which pulls in the openers onto the seals - if yours do then again it may just require some adjustments

There are a number of local outfits who will probably be able to sort this, or you could try to DIY!

Worst case is if the actual frame has distorted - no amount of adjustment is likely to compensate for this.
Last edited by: Everest Pete on Wed 13 Oct 10 at 18:21
 Draughty PVCu windows - bottomlesspit
If you can use a screwdriver then DIY it, it's not rocket scienece at all

Slightly different my issue in that I have 11 blown units around my house, so decided to look at getting them replaced. Now I know they easily are removed but wanted to check how much one of the aftermarket repairers would charge.

Two estimates came in at around £550 for all 11, I checked and the biggest unit was quoted from a place that makes up the units @ £35 so I reckon all in I will do it for around £250, just reckon on a morning of my time.

Unless as stated above and it is warped !!!!!!
Last edited by: bottomlesspit on Wed 13 Oct 10 at 18:32
 Draughty PVCu windows - PeteW
Just make sure you also buy a good number of packers to go between the frames and glass units before starting to DIY, these are (usually) small blue plastic strips which I imagine the sealed unit maker can also supply.
 Draughty PVCu windows - FotheringtonTomas
>> Just make sure you also buy a good number of packers to go between the
>> frames and glass units before starting to DIY, these are (usually) small blue plastic strips
>> which I imagine the sealed unit maker can also supply.

This is the most important thing you can do - the edges of the units must not touch the material of the window (the packing pieces come in different thicknesses, and are thicker in the "middle" than at the edges). The next most important thing is that the glass must not be rigidly attached to anything (rubber seals, low modulus neutral cure silicone beads OK, not putty or glue).

I support EP in this.
 Draughty PVCu windows - bottomlesspit
Thanks Guys, I'll put them on the shopping list.

I actually took out one of the units and took it down for them to measure, as 4 of them are the same size, so hopefully it should just fit straight in, and I did see the packing piece when I took the one out.

I intend to do this for all of them as although I can use a tape measure, they all have georgian bars in them so I would prefer not to get it wrong when it come to specifying where they line up !
Last edited by: bottomlesspit on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 13:06
Latest Forum Posts