Non-motoring > Methods of teaching teenagers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 4

Methods of teaching teenagers - L'escargot
In our days the teacher wrote with chalk on a blackboard, and talked to us. I know blackboards were superseded by whiteboards, but what happens now? I suspect (!) that computers are involved, but how? Is homework written in longhand?

We don't want to show our ignorance by asking the grandchildren.

typo in header corrected
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Oct 10 at 12:57
 Mrthods of teaching teenagers - Fenlander
It's all laptops, netbooks and interactive whiteboards where our girls (13 & 15) are. The school has an advanced wireless system throughout and the teachers run/organise 99% of their teaching on their own laptops.

At home our girls can access all details of their set homework (as we can!) via a secure part of the school website and a good proportion of it is completed on interactive educational websites such as mymaths.

Of the homework that's needed in a physical form at least 75% is typed up rather than written. Other work is often taken in on a memory stick.

Also rather than producing as a word document much of their homework is constructed using powerpoint as a presentation (with sounds and images) that can be given to the whole class.

One of my 15yr old's GCSE subjects will be 100% produced on the PC with not a single element of written work.

This hi-tech even extends to a cashless canteen. Each monday morning I go onto a website where I load their meal accounts from my debit card. When they go into the canteen there is a fingerprint reader and this brings up their image, details and available credit.

School trips are also paid for on this system.

If you miss a meeting regarding something like a ski trip the host teacher will mail you the powerpoint they used in the hall so you can get all the information as if you were there.

All school letters that would normally be sent home in their bags are e-mailed home.

Direct contact with teachers to their school e.mail accounts is now routine and enables a much better partnership between parent and school. I'm now on chatty terms with a dozen of their teachers because of this and it makes for a far more natural relationship than the twice a year parents evening stress of my young days. Any problems can be nipped in the bud.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 11 Oct 10 at 10:49
 Mrthods of teaching teenagers - Bromptonaut
Changed a bit I guess but probably not as much as we’d think. Chalk (or drywipe) & talk still used quite widely but laptops and PowerPoint provide variation. Telly was part of the experience even in my day 40 years ago. Having gone through the VCR phase and into DVD a library of suitable programmes ranging from Brainiac to Space Exploration & David Attenborough’s nature documentaries are part of my science teacher partner’s professional toolkit.

My two attend a ‘bog standard comprehensive’ that’s not without fault but good enough to have its catchment mentioned in estate agency particulars. All kids have an IT account which they can also access from home. Computers are used in the classroom but provision is far from universal across the site; lessons with PC’s take place in an IT suite. However, if I email one of the kids at school I usually get a reply within the day so they must log in to their accounts pretty often.

Homework essays can be longhand but others are written on the PC. Rather more drafting, checking and re-writing then went on in my day when you just wrote it up and handed it in. No doubt the result of more marks depending on assessed course work.
 Mrthods of teaching teenagers - spamcan61
Pretty much as Fenlander describes, for my daughters.

Last week Spamette minor (15), had to find fuel consumption figures for current vehicles and compare running costs.

Funny thing was, she was asked to find consumption figures for round town, 56 mph and 'motorway speeds'.

Can you even find those for current vehicles? She ended up using urban, combined and extra urban instead.

Methinks the question was prepared 15 years ago or so and hasn't been changed since.

The one thing that does worry me about their use of fancy PowerPoint presentations is that it makes it very easy to go down the style over substance route.

Mrthods of teaching teenagers - Skoda
>> down the style over substance route.

That was my experience circa 2000. We had a physics teacher, great teacher, who unfortunately had been struck by some kind of motor neurone disease. He was electric wheelchair bound and visibly further impaired year on year by it.

In order to be able to contiune to teach, he invested in a laptop and overhead projector. Along with i can't think how many hours, it must have been more or less his entire home life, preparing lessons on powerpoint instead of on the blackboard.

11 out of 10 for effort but ultimately always fell short in the diagrams & visual explainations :-(

Didn't matter a jot though, i learned more about Physics from him than an able bodied teacher of typical ability could have taught. I hope he's still teaching.
Latest Forum Posts