Non-motoring > Southgate has resigned Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Southgate has resigned - smokie
Not sure who he is myself but the Beeb put him as headline :-)

Being serious, seems the honourable thing to do and a few others (some senior politicians and business people caught up in stuff spring to mind) would do well to take a leaf from his book.
 Southgate has resigned - Zero
Honourable? How so? The man has taken England to two euro finals and one World Cup semi final, with nothing in return but snide comments, complaints. In this final they were beaten, just, by the best team in the finals by a long way.

Honourable, His resignation speech should be riddled with spite and vitriol, and he should tell them to stick the job up their ungrateful bladders.
 Southgate has resigned - Manatee
It is a truly thankless job. Are the kind of fans who think the manager must resign when the team loses in the final to a better team football fans at all?
 Southgate has resigned - zippy
He's done well and we were beaten by the better team on the night.

I'm sorry to see him go and much of the criticism he got was totally unnecessary and detracted from the game IMHO.

As an arm-chair watcher - with very little experience - I would have liked to have seen less of Harry Kane and more of some of the younger players.

I would also have brought substitutes on earlier.

These are not criticisms of Southgate, just my opinion. I'm sorry to see him go - as Zero said, he has got us to finals! That's got to be worth some significant praise.
 Southgate has resigned - Ted
>> He's done well and we were beaten by the better team on the night.
I would have liked to
have seen less of Harry Kane and more of some of the younger players

I agree, I think Kane is past it now. I would have liked to see Cole Palmer play a full game..he's young and keen...what a cracker of a goal ! I suppose it's down to being a South Manchester lad !

I'd have liked to see Jack Grealish in Deutchland with the team. He may have been a bit out of form recently but that may have been different playing for his country. Jack's role at City is to confuse the enemy and fall over frequently to get free kicks and penalties. Goals are a bonus !

Any road up, I'm gonna watch the girls in a bit...perhaps Sarina Wiegman to replace Southgate ?

Ted
 Southgate has resigned - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I agree, I think Kane is past it now.
>>

Having scored 36 goals in 32 appearances for Bayern this last year, that must have happened rather quickly ;-).

Either England's current system doesn't suit him, or he's cream-crackered after a hard season.

TBH, he hasn't looked to be "at the races" all this tournament, and I've never liked the way he drifts around in an England shirt. IMO, he shouldn't have been in the starting line-up for the last few games.
 Southgate has resigned - CGNorwich
If a couple of near misses had crept over the line he would be being lauded as England’s hero. The best manager since Alf Ramsey. What a fickle and ungrateful lot we seem.
 Southgate has resigned - R.P.
Lot of chuckling in Scotland - they were the only team to beat Spain in the Euros.
 Southgate has resigned - Zero
>> Lot of chuckling in Scotland - they were the only team to beat Spain in
>> the Euros.

No idea why they chuckled, their performances in the euros were excruciatingly appalling.
 Southgate has resigned - Robin O'Reliant
There are two types of football manage - those who go out at the top and those who carry on and become failures.

He took the wise course.
 Southgate has resigned - Lygonos

I thought Southgate had managed a lot in his tenure, getting a team of fevered egos to play well together, and not being a dick dealing with the constant nonsense from journos and pundits.

I'll be surprised if his replacement does any better.
Latest Forum Posts