Non-motoring > Mugged Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 1

Mugged - zippy
You may recall that last year I was off the site for a little while. I had been violently mugged - and looking at laptop screens was uncomfortable for a time.

(This as nothing to do with the Witness statements tread btw.)

I was intending on visiting a family friend for a few days.

My friend and his family live in a nice area just off the city center and unfortunately there was no free parking nearby.

I went round the block a few times to find a place to park and walked back to my friends place.

I had my overnight bag and my work laptop & bag as I was going to visit a client near to them on one of the days.

Next thing I remember is seeing someone stand over me - a man asking if I was alright and a young man who I found out later was a probationary policeman on his way to work who was on his phone - realised later that he was calling for an ambulance.

I felt absolutely dreadful and I tried to get up but the policeman asked me to stay down and knelt down next to me and kept me chatting until the ambulance arrived and took me to hospital. The PPC arrived shortly after the ambulance and came to check on my well being. He was still out of uniform and said he had let his "boss" know that he wanted to make sure I was OK.

Luckily no serious injuries but there did seem to be a lot of blood as I had been battered around the head and was concussed.

It took me a while to "come around" fully and a short time afterwards the young policeman, now in uniform turned up with his "tutor".

My work phone had gone and my personal phone was smashed so I couldn't let anyone know. (I can't remember phone numbers.)

The PC arranged for my local force to let Mrs Z know what happened and that I was OK and they did, very promptly and she called our friends to say I was in hospital about 5 miles from where they were and they came right over.

The police officers didn't stay long but did ask if I recalled anything - I didn't and promised to come back the following day, which they did and took down the details that I could remember.

By the next morning Mrs Z had turned up and helped me find numbers for work to get my laptop and phone cancelled. That's an almighty difficult task when you don't have any numbers and the main switchboard are set up for customer queries only. I couldn't even remember my boss's or colleagues' numbers. I was being discharged, so we found a nearby branch and spoke to the manager who took us in to her office and got us in contact with the IT helpdesk who remotely wiped the work laptop and phones - and said they could do that even if it wasn't on - though I have no idea how. They also looked up the number for my boss so I called him from there.

I was ok to go back to work a day or so later and a new laptop was couriered to me. It was winter so I still felt nervous walking in the dark.

A few weeks later I got a call from the young PC saying they had some "kids" as they had tried to sell work's laptop in a Computer EXchange shop and hadn't noticed the "This Laptop Belongs to XYZ Bank" sticker on it!

There was a magistrates trial a couple of weeks ago and I travelled up to attend. The two PCs met me before the trial just to let me know what to expect and said that the suspects had all admitted guilt at the first opportunity with their parents present.

There were 3 kids on trial. All under 18 and as they pleaded guilty at the first opportunity got suspended sentences. It came out that they were coming out of an unlit alleyway that I hadn't seen, just as I was passing it and whacked me on the back of the head from behind.

I felt a bit nervous going out in the dark for a while, but that has passed.

The two PCs were excellent and I understand that the probationer has passed his probation. I sent a letter to their CC thanking them, for being efficient and more importantly caring - because they were.
 Mugged - Fullchat
Other than the circumstances its good to hear you had a positive a experience. As it should be.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 7 Jul 24 at 19:08
Latest Forum Posts