Non-motoring > LED lights and drivers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

LED lights and drivers - Bobby
I have bought a few of these lights which are great, dead easy to wire up and give out great white light. My house is quite dark inside.

amzn.eu/d/0bamq2qF

However they don’t last that long, maybe couple years at most in the most used areas and I have just replaced another couple. Very expensive compared to the old bayonet light bulb!
But I was wondering, would it actually be the Light that fails or would it be the driver as I have spotted a 3 pack of the drivers for a tenner.
I will check next time one goes but wondering if anyone knew or had experience of this?

And on a related theme, our bathroom mirror has one of these touch in built LED lights and demister on it. That light stopped working and I am now wondering if that would also be just the LED driver as the mirror is about £150 to replace!!
 LED lights and drivers - RichardW
It will most likely be the driver - the capacitors will have gone pop inside. You'd need to get a meter on the output to see if there is anything coming out. Cheap drivers will also have a short life of course, but if they're cheap enough....
 LED lights and drivers - zippy
Similar are on offer if it's any help:

www.hotukdeals.com/share-deal/4369080
 LED lights and drivers - Terry
The lights you link to are 2400 lumens and draw 24w - equivalent light output would need a ~150w filament bulb.

Assuming a saving of 125w per hour at current rates per kwh of 28p is ~3.5p.

This sound trivial - but over a year for (say) 4 hours per day is 1460 hours pa - saving £51.

Summary - it would also annoy me to spend £14 each time the light fails - but it would cost a lot more to revert to old incandescent bulbs (which will eventually become wholly obsolete and unobtainable).
 LED lights and drivers - Bobby
That’s interesting Terry.
Yeah these lights are sometimes on for more than that each day so a good comparison!
 LED lights and drivers - Zero
Its invariably failure of the driver, capacitors pop, diodes short, resistors stop resisting. Component quality these days is dire
 LED lights and drivers - RichardW
'Tis why G10 LEDs only cost a few pence now though, rather than a tenner or more when they came out!
 LED lights and drivers - Zero
And why car electronics are expensive, remarkably reliable in hostile environments a notable chunk of the cost goes into sourcing, testing, quality assurance, traceability of components used.
Latest Forum Posts