Non-motoring > Impossible beeping Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 5

Impossible beeping - Crankcase
We have a redundant and now replaced smoke alarm. I took the batteries out over a year ago. It’s not connected to the mains.

Last night, it started beeping, a regular pattern of three short beeps. I opened the flap, it stopped and didn’t restart.

How did it do that after a year with no battery? Could the warm night temperature magically charge a capacitor or something?
 Impossible beeping - Bromptonaut
How old is it?

Can't remember whether it was smoke or CO but one in the caravan started bleeping. Thought it was low battery but it carried on with new ones. Turned out to be an end of lie thing; ten years from manufacture.

I'd guess there's a capacitor or something in yiurs.
 Impossible beeping - Crankcase
I guess it could be ten years old, yes. So is there a timer in there, and how is that powered for a decade?
 Impossible beeping - Bobby
I mind when I worked with the hospice, one of our charity shops had battery operated smoke alarms. Three on the shop floor.
One started chirping so replaced the battery. Chirping continued.
Replace the next one. Chirping continued.
Replaced the last one. Chirping continued.

Absolute head scratcher for a wee while. And then I had a brainwave.
Popped one of the suspended ceiling tiles and there was an old smoke alarm chirping away on the original ceiling!!
 Impossible beeping - Bromptonaut
All but thirty years ago when smoke alarms were new my father had a few installed around the house.

A year or two later he became convinced there was a bird chirping in the loft. I could hear it too. It was only when I stood at the top of the stairs for a few minutes that I zoned in to the smoke alarm by the loft hatch.....
 Impossible beeping - Robin O'Reliant
>> All but thirty years ago when smoke alarms were new my father had a few
>> installed around the house.
>>
>> A year or two later he became convinced there was a bird chirping in the
>> loft. I could hear it too. It was only when I stood at the top
>> of the stairs for a few minutes that I zoned in to the smoke alarm
>> by the loft hatch.....
>>

That one caught us too. Early hours of the morning we were searching the house trying to find where the hell the noise was coming from.
Latest Forum Posts