Non-motoring > Garage shelving units Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 8

Garage shelving units - Rudedog
Does anybody have recommendations for garage shelving - I need to replace one unit where the coating has peeled off and the metal underneath is rusting causing staining on the items on the shelves. Seems the units vary so much from DiY shops and places like Screwfix - rather pay a but extra for units that will last.

Looking at units with five shelves and roughly 900mm x 400 or 450mm x 1850 to 1900mm.

Not sure what is better powder coated or galvanised metal legs?

Garage shelving units - R.P.
I got some plastic ones from B&Q - worked well for the last 10 years plus.

When I was fitting out the foodbank's new place I got industrial grade shelving from the below. They are brilliant.

www.bigdug.co.uk/

We've had a few batches of Big Dug's stuff at the Foodbank, if I was in need of shelving I consider them the ones I'd go for. We had some errors in one order there was no quibble and they sent the missing bits.

Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 27 May 24 at 10:44
 Garage shelving units - neiltoo
I've had Bigdug shelves for five years or so.

Dogs dangley bits

8o)
 Garage shelving units - Manatee
Check Costco's website
www.costco.co.uk/Home-Improvement/Storage-Organisation/Shelving/c/cos_8.8.5

Just bought some of these but probably too big for you - hold loads because they're 2 foot deep.
www.costco.co.uk/Home-Improvement/Storage-Organisation/Shelving/Whalen-5-Tier-6ft-x-4ft-x-2ft-182-x-121-x-60cm-Step-Beam-Heavy-Duty-Modular-Storage-Shelf-Rack/p/956873

They were also quite a bit cheaper in the shop than they are online - I think they were £80 a unit when I bought them. But very very strong even though the shelves are particle board of some kind.
 Garage shelving units - neiltoo
These are the Bigdug shelves I have.

tinyurl.com/2ajc9rte

Adjustable steel frame particle board shelves.

www.bigdug.co.uk/clearance-special-offers-c82640/mega-deals-c411/bigdug-essentials-3x-bay-shelving-kit-p1404

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Mon 27 May 24 at 15:14
 Garage shelving units - Ted

I have a couple of Machine Mart ones..about a metre across with 5 shelves. Hold an enormous amount of stuff including two Jowett engines. The shelves are MDF and have done well apart from one of the bottom ones where some unguent has leaked from a can...possibly brake fluid.

Ted
 Garage shelving units - Rudedog
Thanks all - didn't think I'd get two votes for the same company when I asked.

BigDug were next on my list when I searched Google.
 Garage shelving units - bathtub tom
Local shop had some free standing shelving in a skip, so I asked if I could have it.
 Garage shelving units - R.P.
I should clarify that it appears the error was with "Tuffnels" their courier of choice, rather than Big Dug.
Latest Forum Posts