Non-motoring > Insulation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Insulation - Bobby
Signed up to the latest free insulation scheme mentioned by Martin Lewis through my energy provider.
Guy coming out on Friday to survey.
I wonder whether real insulation will provide as much heat saving as the tonnes of stuff I have up in my loft!!!
Seriously I just know he is going to say, yip we can insulate this fully but you need to empty it!!

Considering we lost all the contents in our loft when we had the house fire in 2008 it has fair filled up again!!

Might be easier removing some tiles and just lobbing everything directly into a skip!!
 Insulation - Bromptonaut
Daughter's house, a 1930s semi of the type that makes up Metroland but is in Wales, has the insulation fastened to the rafters.
 Insulation - CGNorwich
Never understood why people put stuff in the loft space. They forget what’s up there and never take it down again. Just chuck it and save someone a job in 20 years time.
 Insulation - Bobby
Christmas trees and decorations
Suitcases
Tent and camping stuff for starters
 Insulation - legacylad
Loft.
Skeletons up there.
My cupboards are full:-)
 Insulation - CGNorwich
Get a real tree each year
Nest suitcases one inside another and put under bed
Stay in a hotel

There you go.Sorted. You need never climb that ladder again
 Insulation - sooty123
>> Christmas trees and decorations
>> Suitcases
>> Tent and camping stuff for starters
>>

Ours is the same, plus some other bits and bobs we use.
 Insulation - Bromptonaut
>> Ours is the same, plus some other bits and bobs we use.

Lot of stuff we could get rid of or, in case of toys made by Mrs B's Dad, pass on to grandson. But there's still a family tent and associated kit, Christmas in a bag, suitcases and other stuff there's no space for elsewhere.
 Insulation - bathtub tom
Worst thing I ever did was flooring the loft in the old house. SWMBO could put stuff up there at will! When we were thinking about moving house, I made a rule that if either of us went up there and saw anything we hadn't used for a couple of years, it was out. Made moving to this place much easier.

SWMBO made a rule that her old doll's house and sewing machine were sacrosanct. We've three grandsons and the latter hasn't been touched in years!
 Insulation - bathtub tom
Missed the edit!

There's a scam going round, where a 'free' inspection will advise having foam sprayed under the tiles.
There's two types, closed cell and open cell. If the first's, installed, any future purchaser may find it impossible to obtain a mortgage or insurance, because the lack of air circulation rots the timbers.
After having this stuff installed, you receive a call from someone saying they're aware this stuff's been installed and they'll give you a free quote to inspect it and give a price of thousands to remove it!

I suspect Brompt may be able to expand.
 Insulation - Ted

I enjoyed the telephonic company of two separate loft insulation cold callers today.

When I told the second one that my loft contained a bed, 2 chests of drawers, a chair, carpet and was fully plastered and decorated, she seemed to lose interest and put the phone down on me !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts