Non-motoring > Cling Film Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 11

Cling Film - Zero
It has been a historical trend to make the boxes that contain cling film to become less and less effective and more and more annoying*

After another recurring frustrating moment I have ended up throwing the damn box on the floor and stamping on it in a childish tantrum.

Now the nub of the post. has anyone any recommendations for a cling film dispenser.

*Ok you had to read the instructions, open the box in the correct way, however it worked, but the days of the steel serrated blade have long gone.
 Cling Film - Slightlyfatdirector
We use a Wrapmaster from Lakeland.

We actually have two. One for foil and one for clingfilm and we have been using these for years. A decent investment for smooth easy use. Faultless really.

Their clingfilm and foil is a step up from normal stuff too. Much more substantial. Quite often they have vouchers in leaflets that fall out of the weekend papers and we stock up on the consumables then.
 Cling Film - Kevin
AliExpress has just what you need.

www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005886965985.html
 Cling Film - Zero
>> AliExpress has just what you need.
>>
>> www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005886965985.html

Expensive, over specified, requiring a lot of ongoing support. No idea where you got that thinking from.
 Cling Film - Kevin
>Expensive, over specified, requiring a lot of ongoing support.

Call it a 'character assessment'.
 Cling Film - CGNorwich
The stuff is not great for the environment so we gave up using it.
 Cling Film - Bromptonaut
We use very little too.

Avoid using it to directly wrap food.
 Cling Film - Slightlyfatdirector
That's interesting. My brother nearly had kittens when he saw we use it to do exactly that.

It's sold to be used in direct food contact (as well as sealing containers) and whilst I have heard people raise concerns about it's safety, I would expect that it would be a major issue massively broadcast if it was unsafe. Or am I ill-informed?

Maybe I am opening a can of worms here, but if that were not the case (and risks proven) then it wouldn't exist surely?

Having said that, their site is only showing PE film at the moment with them being out of stock of the wrap master refills. Not sure what the other stuff was - maybe PVC - and that's probably more of an environmental issue rather than safety issue as PVC ain't great environmentally.

Bear in mind that PVC is still used widely for infusion bags at hospitals delivering drugs into people..

I use it to wrap food directly and and I fully respect others (including my brother) who don't, but I am happy to keep on using it in direct food contact.

It will be used like that in most food establishments too.

In many cases it is keeping food more safe than less due to it sealing against air / bugs / bacteria.

A risk I am happy to take anyway.

Cling Film - Bromptonaut
There was a big thing some years ago about cling film in direct contact with fatty foods like cheese. Something to do with particular components in the (then?) formulation of the film.

In reality I think it changed subsequently but stuff that was big news at time x might change your behaviour whatever happened afterwards.
 Cling Film - Kevin
>There was a big thing some years ago about cling film in direct contact with fatty foods like cheese.

That reminds me of the 'Frito Lays Wow' snacks introduced in the US when we lived there. They were advertised as guilt free 'fat-free' potato chips.

All fine and dandy until the side-effects became apparent.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lay%27s_Wow_chips
 Cling Film - Ted

We use the Lakeland dispenser. Can't be fiddling about trying to find an end.

I also use cheapo film in the workshop. When I put the car to bed for the Winter, I go all over the chrome with vaseline and cling film over the top of it. Keeps the grease off yer keks !

Ted
 Cling Film - Bobby
Up at my dad’s tonight.
On top of the cupboard in the kitchen there is a huge cling film box. Mind Makro trade name was Aro??
Well this is a huge Aro box and my dad is pretty sure that the contents have never been replaced.
I reckon must be at least 20 years old??
Latest Forum Posts