Non-motoring > Robot vacuum cleaners Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 16

Robot vacuum cleaners - sherlock47
Anybody had good or bad experience?

My success with my robot mower has inspired swmbo to get her own best friend.
 Robot vacuum cleaners - zippy
You need one for each floor. We had one from Amazon Eufee something or other, kept getting tangled in the cables, books, rugs, etc.

BTW, can the robot mowers cope with terraced gardens and do you need to transport it between front and rear gardens?
Terraced - depends on the slope between the sections. I was worried that my rough and sloping patch would cause problems, but it copes very well. The most problematic issue is the front wheels dropping into small wheel depression on the boundary, causing the driving wheels to skid/spin when wet. But typically runs for a week cutting for 5 hrs a day without intervention.

You can link front and back gardens by a corridor if you have the necessary path space.
 Robot vacuum cleaners - Zero

>> My success with my robot mower

It would last three seconds in my house once the dogs spot it.
 Robot vacuum cleaners - bathtub tom
Had a(n?) eufy for some months now. SWMBO wanted one, despite me doing the vacuuming. It works well in our bungalow and runs daily for around 45 minutes, until it runs out of charge and tries to find its charging station.
It bimbles around at random, but seems to cover the most of the floor each day. It found some interesting things in its early days, we're more careful now. I like the fact it goes under the beds and I suspect that's where most of the fluff comes from. We keep the bathroom doors shut, as it doesn't like the mats in there and shouldn't get wet, although I don't know if it'll transform like a Gremlin!
SWMBO christened it Dobby, although I wanted to call it Davros after the progenitor of the daleks (can't go up stairs).
 Robot vacuum cleaners - smokie
My daughter's one is also called Dobby. Her new kitten is scared of it :-)
 Robot vacuum cleaners - Bobby
My 92 year old dad has one. He lives in a bungalow. Think it patrols his house at night. He calls it Penelope. Works off an app on his phone.
I am not convinced it is as good as a standard vacuum cleaner but is certainly better than no vacuuming getting done!
But he does like his technology.

Has his Apple Watch, iPhone and iPad.
Alexa in every room. Every light connected to Alexa. Uses it for his shopping lists, timers for cooking dinner.
If he falls his Apple Watch will call me. Or he can shout to any Alexa to call me.
Ring doorbells and apps.
Yi camera and app.
Skygo on the iPad.
Virgin TiVo on the TV.
Has a “4 gen” WhatsApp chat that has every direct descendant of his on the chat as well as spouses etc.

Only issue is his house is falling down round his ears and his answer is always “that’s your problem when I am no longer here”
 Robot vacuum cleaners - zippy
My mother in law is 92 this summer.

She struggles with a mobile phone (simple mars bar type), let alone other tech.

A modern flat screen TV and free-view recorder is a struggle.

That said, she is as sharp as a tack with everything else.

Robot vacuum cleaners - Fursty Ferret
I have two. Suckleberry Finn handles downstairs and Whitney Hoover does upstairs. No problems with them at all once I made sure that loose cables were clipped to the wall or added to the "keep out" zone on the map.

They're a lot better than earlier models. Both have LIDAR navigation and will find their way home to recharge and empty the dust container.
FF

Make and model please?

I take it that one is black, and the other white?
 Robot vacuum cleaners - BiggerBadderDave
We have one on the ground floor and it works quite well - probably because it's all open plan and tile/wood flooring. It means stacking the chairs on the tables though and pushing the coffee table away from the sofa so it can squeeze through. It mops too but we never bother with that - too much of a faff and only really a gimmick.
 Robot vacuum cleaners - Fursty Ferret
>> Make and model please?

www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/7FBBF7F8-4CEB-4542-AA1C-9A3EFD7E1339

They're about as cheap as they were on Prime Day last year. I think anything with LIDAR navigation is as good as another these days, they're all probably running the same software inside and this works with the Tuya app.

Obviously you need to accept that the Chinese government is building a detailed map of your home at floor level and probably eavesdropping on conversations.
So far very impressed with my purchase of a TP-Link Tapo RV30plus with self emptying docking station.

Copes well with a mix of engineered wood, tiles, carpet and even the long haired shower mat. I have chosen not to use the wet mopping feature, as it would need some close supervision to make me feel comfortable and that feature is the weak point in the reviews. I chose the brand because previous experience with TP-Link Tapo products (cameras, routers, wifi adapters) has been positive, although integration into node red has caused a few problems.

The only criticism so far is if you you use in on a second floor, when it has completed the scheduled program it gets a little confused looking for the docking station on the floor below. At least it does not attempt the stairs!

The capabilities and accuracy of the Lidar mapping and display in the Android app are evidence that we are well down the route to self driving cars.

Robot vacuum cleaners - CGNorwich
Do these things really save you any work or time? Vacuuming my entire house only takes 20 minutes or so and presumably you still have to do a manual job from time to time to clean behind and under items which the device cannot access.

Robot vacuum cleaners - bathtub tom
>> Do these things really save you any work or time? Vacuuming my entire house only
>> takes 20 minutes or so and presumably you still have to do a manual job
>> from time to time to clean behind and under items which the device cannot access.

Our EUFY runs for around 45 minutes a day in the bungalow. I give the place a good vacuum (Spangler) once a month and haven't had to replace the bag in the Miele for over a year. Seeing the (mainly) fluff that comes out of the EUFY I'd suggest they do a reasonably good job.
 Robot vacuum cleaners - CGNorwich
So not really a replacement for a conventional cleaner then.
 Robot vacuum cleaners - VxFan
Who cares.

It's a big boys toy.
Latest Forum Posts