Non-motoring > Schengen 90/180 rule Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

Schengen 90/180 rule - legacylad
I spent time yesterday planning trips....very unusual for me as I normally travel last minute.

Once I’d booked ferries, flights and accommodation for several trips between now and Christmas thought I’d use the Schengen online calculator to see how many days I have left.....

Answer was zero. When I fly home on 22/12 I’ve used my full 90/180 entitlement, but can return 16/01/25 for ten days.....doubt I could do that again.

I could risk overstaying the 90/180, but if it all went wrong....I’m getting conflicting stories from friends as to whether or not the rule is being enforced in Spain. Or even checked at passport control. At the moment I’m not going to risk it.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - Terry
I could potentially face a similar problem, although I understand the Spanish are keen to change rules, reliant as they are on Brits for the Costa economy..

However I came to the conclusion it is not worth the risk of overstaying. The benefit may be a few more days of winter sun. The risk is being added to some sort of "black list" which could spoil the fun for several years.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - smokie
Surely all you need to do is get a visa????

EDIT: Maybe not, I hadn't realised it wasn't just a fill-a-form/pay-a-fiver visa. For those not committed in some way Schengen area, just go somewhere outside for your holiday when you reach the 90 days. I'll be pretty close next year, will probably keep my two Portugal trips to 40 days each rather than the 49 of this year.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 6 May 24 at 11:22
Never crossed my mind as I’m visiting 5 Schengen countries…shall investigate.

Just realised that in September whilst en route from Dieppe to Malaga, I’m staying in Andorra for a week with my walking group (Arinsal) so that period doesn’t count.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - Rudedog
We've had a French trip around June time for the past few years going through Dover, last year was a palaver going out and coming back having to get out and go through passport control with the x-ray bag scans causing an hour delay each time.

I think these checks are now going to be compulsory for ALL travellers going through ports to Europe plus there is a 'visa' type scheme coming in - luckily I don't think this is until later in the year so we should miss it this year.

Maybe the visa will monitor the days in Europe more closely.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - smokie
It does. I was also told it's important to make sure you get your passport stamped on entry and exit as that can be used as a basis for calculation - so if you haven't had your exit stamped you may be denied entry next time (probably Daily Mail stuff though, as I imagine these days they will depend on machines to do the recoding and calculation not humans!)

I also gather that entry to countries as they introduce the changes could be really slow as they will do retina scans or fingerprinting or whatever of everyone for the first time, but everyone will be caught in the queue. Again, may or may not be so...

EDIT: Coming back into Heathrow in April we breezed through passports - no delay at all. But all that means (if your flying) is you get to tut more while waiting for your bags in the baggage hall, if you have any!!!
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 6 May 24 at 12:06
Especially important to get your passport stamped when entering & leaving Andorra.

With the ‘extra’ few days I’ve found I could ski there in January, and two of those days would be entry/exit days in France…airport job.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - zippy
There are several people at work that have Irish ancestry and are or have applied for Irish passports. I guess it's to avoid this kind of thing.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - sherlock47
Be careful about using Andorra. Whilst not in Schengen I believe it cannot be used to 'reset' the calendar between 90/180 and long stay french visa, which requires you to leave the Schengen area. I have visited twice, and cannot recall any obvious french immigration control. It seems that Andorra is best described as Schrödingers country!

The other thing about Schengen days is that for people who choose to travel on a cruise ship, making successive calls at Schengen ports, is that intermediate days at see count.

Penalties for overstaying seem to be very dependent on the attitude test on leaving. Ranges from nothing to longish ban.

Also try several different calculation apps. They are reputed to give different answers.

Schengen 90/180 rule - Kevin
>..they will depend on machines to do the recoding and calculation not humans!)

It was supposed to be automated last year but they were having problems getting it working which is very unusual for public sector IT projects.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - zippy
>> >..they will depend on machines to do the recoding and calculation not humans!)
>>
>> It was supposed to be automated last year but they were having problems getting it
>> working which is very unusual for public sector IT projects.
>>

Probably allowed someone outside to manually adjust the records.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - Rudedog
Well my trip last year to France got me my first two 'real' stamps in my book - both during the French checks, the UK guys just scanned and waved us through.
 Schengen 90/180 rule - Bobby
I am at no risk of this with my normal foreign holidays so not really paid attention to how it works.
Is there really a record somewhere of every time we leave and enter every country and cross referenced?
Surely those stamps that passport control randomly throw somewhere in your passport aren’t what is used to calculate your overall stays?
Anyone know someone firsthand who has been caught over staying their welcome?

On another note, my colleague and his wife turned up at Glasgow Airport for their 6am flight only to find out her passport fell foul of the 10 year rule from the date of issue rather than the expiry date. Turned away. Which was very harrowing as this was a holiday to help recover from a recent bereavement. He apparently was oblivious to this rule even though it has had huge coverage and I am sure you even get warnings about it when you book a holiday?
 Schengen 90/180 rule fines - sherlock47
I think this link should work......

www.facebook.com/groups/3095316217195803/search/?q=schengen%20overstay%20fines

Whilst not firsthand experience, this FB group is heavily moderated and is probably one of the better sources of information.

Schengen 90/180 rule fines - JohnM{P}
There is a related issue to be aware if you or any of your travelling companions are EU passport holders with settled status:
if the EU passport is renewed after settled status was granted, the passport number must be updated via the app asit the number is the key, not the name, to the settled status record. We had a worrying few minutes at Calais two years ago when the UK Passport Control officer said he could not find the record... (happy to be corrected if this has changed since).
 Schengen 90/180 rule fines - Bromptonaut
JohnM welcome back. Is 9 years a record for gaps between postsss?
Latest Forum Posts