Non-motoring > bbc iplayer on da big screen Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 26

bbc iplayer on da big screen - Bellboy
just ordered one of these
will give a further opinion in a while when ive checked it out bruvs
www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=476764&ordercode=A34KC&C=Email-Newsletter&U=10P11-1-A34KC&T=314556&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=A34KC&utm_campaign=10P11-1
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Alastairw
What you need is a Virgin cable subscription. iPlayer, 4OD, ITVPlayer all available ondemand, on the big screen.
no i dont
i pay them for internet subscription only
dont want to pay for a free service month in month out
im from yorkshire you nose
sick of using an s -video lead across the carpet as well
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Stuartli
I use my Panasonic plasma TV to watch BBC iPlayer (key in 7001 via the Red button) via an Ethernet cable connected to an Ethernet switch - great if I want to watch a programme on a 42in rather than 23in monitor screen.

Computer based items arrive the same way, but using (PS3) media server software.

I use an Ethernet cable because the Panny is playing up, configuration wise, on being linked wirelessly...:-(
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 20:30
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Tooslow
At the same price you'd be better with one of these www.whathifi.com/News/UPDATED-Sony-set-to-launch-budget-video-streaming-Netbox/
or a Blu Ray player :-)

John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 20:35
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - CGNorwich
My Wii console provides iplayer channel

bbc iplayer on da big screen - R.P.
I can plug my MacBook via a HDMI cable.
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Soupytwist
I've been messing about with this on my work Macbook - www.plexapp.com/

It's open source and looks quite good but the Iplayer functionality is currently not working as there's only one UK developer and presumably the US lot can't actually test what they do to try and fix the Iplayer bugs!
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - spamcan61
>> My Wii console provides iplayer channel
>>
>>
Yeah, I use that method with Spamette minor's Wii to view iPlayer material, certainly good enough quality for me (OK I'm still watching on a 28" CRT)

I'm quite tempted by one of these, but I'm not prepared to get my wad out until EBuyer provide a user manual or a full spec-

www.ebuyer.com/product/227440
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - RattleandSmoke
My TV doubles up as my monitor so the problem is solved. The only problem I have is it is 1080p but the source is a standard none HD PVR.

I cannot afford the luxery of an HD PVR.
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - movilogo
If you computer and HDTV both have HDMI sockets, the TV screen can act as a big computer screen.

bbc iplayer on da big screen - sherlock47
I am surprised at how good the iplayer quality is on a 32" Bravia with content derived via the internet from the Humax HD Freesat 'red button'. Internet running at just less than 4.8Mb/s

The only failing of the Humax HD box is that is too difficult to swap between the Freesat and Non Freesat modes. It really needs a handset option, rather than having to visit the depths of the setup menu every time! (I need to use both modes so that the second dish can be used for French Channels on a different satellite).
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 8 Oct 10 at 08:48
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - WillDeBeest
We've been using iPlayer on the PS3 for the purpose for a couple of years. Quality was patchy at first but took a leap forward in mid-2009 and now very seldom sticks or cuts out. My only gripe is that controlling it with the wiggly-stick games controller is fiddly.

We now have a Humax Foxsat HD as well. I haven't cabled that up for Ethernet, but will as part of a larger decorating project. How do people find controlling iPlayer on that with an ordinary set of buttons?
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Fenlander
I keep meaning to try linking the laptop to our Panasonic LCD TV so we can watch IPlayer in the sitting room. Seems my laptop just has the choice of a monitor output socket or S.VHS. Wonder which I should use?
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - WillDeBeest
The monitor output won't do sound, although you might manage with the laptop's own sound output. I've no experience of S-VHS but I think that's your better bet.
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Felix
>> I keep meaning to try linking the laptop to our Panasonic LCD TV so we
>> can watch IPlayer in the sitting room. Seems my laptop just has the choice of
>> a monitor output socket or S.VHS. Wonder which I should use?
>>

I might be accused of thread drift here but we plug our laptop into our panasonic LCD TV via HDMI and watch iPlayer a lot this way. However the colours are way too strong and artificial looking compared with regular DTV (and compared with how it looks on the laptop screen). Has anybody else experienced this and is there anything can be done about it? There don't seem to be any controls on the HDMI input on the TV that would make any difference, though haven't really experimented with the laptop's control panel yet.
well it works well enough on bbc i player but sometimes hangs for ages loading and the remote is a pain if you want to fast forward
cant watch say 4od on it because it needs a flash upgrade and seeing as the operating system in linux based it will need more work and is unsupported at this time if ever
cant say im particularly happy with it and as a stand alone web browser its hopeless
£100 wasted me thinks
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Stuartli
Send it back as Not Fit For Purpose...
Send it back under distance selling regs. They have to give you your money back in full, none of this "restocking fee" nonsense. It'll only cost you the postage. Make it registered post!

John
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - Dog
Affirmative ~ www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/distance-selling-regulations/
 bbc iplayer on da big screen - spamcan61
If you're going to invoke DSR the goods have to be returned in 're-sellable condition' don't they? i.e. pretty much unopened and unused.
I have returned electrical goods with no problem. Using them does not mark them in any way. I simply repacked them carefully in the original packaging.
John
thanks for all the comments but i will keep it and probably put it with all the other useless junk i get offered over the internet on a weekly basis and get suckered into buying
 drift - panasonic tv - AnotherJohnH
>> we plug our laptop into our panasonic LCD TV via HDMI and watch iPlayer a lot this way.
>> However the colours are way too strong and artificial looking compared with regular DTV
>> (and compared with how it looks on the laptop screen).
>> Has anybody else experienced this and is there anything can be done about it?

I have a suspicion that your Panasonic TV may be capable of remembering different brightness/contrast/colour settings for the individual input types.

IE you could turn down the colour on HDMI without affecting the TV's own tuner pictures.

Works on ours - I've just tried. Just select the HDMI input and then go into the menu settings and adjust to suit.
 drift - panasonic tv - Felix
Genius! Didn't quite know what you meant to start with as I'd combed the manual for this and gone through the menus for an option to change the HDMI input settings. But you're quite right, it works a treat. One satisfied customer.
 drift - panasonic tv - AnotherJohnH
>> Didn't quite know what you meant to start with...

That's quite normal for me.

I usually know what I mean, but don't always commit anything intelligible to print.
 drift - panasonic tv - Felix
>> I usually know what I mean, but don't always commit anything intelligible to print.
>>
It was more intelligible than the manual - though that's not saying much :-) thanks anyway
Latest Forum Posts