Non-motoring > Double glazing repairs. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

Double glazing repairs. - henry k
I need a pane of double glazing repaired.

White aluminium frames with plastic Georgian bars between the panes
The external pane has cracked from top to bottom and water is getting between the panes.
It is a fixed upstairs window
I have a strong suspicion that it was caused by poor installation years ago.
The maker appears to say it is too old and the they do not deal with it.
I guess I will have to deal with a "window doctor type company.
Any recommendations in the Esher Surrey area?

I also have another hinged unit in the same room that is not properly located so the seal does not work. It needs some adjusting.

Double glazing repairs. - Zero
My go to double glazing repairer is www.sheerwaterglass.co.uk/
 Double glazing repairs. - hjd
>> My go to double glazing repairer is www.sheerwaterglass.co.uk/
>>
Ditto. In fact had them round today to measure up and quote for a couple of blown panes. Sometimes we measure the panes ourselves but then if they do it and it's wrong they pay.
 Double glazing repairs. - smokie
After mis-measuring a couple of windows for blinds I wish I'd paid the £9 per window insurance against a mis-measuring event. But at £260+ for the blinds it just felt a bit too much, and of course I know what I'm doing!!

Chucked away the errant tape measure now so I don't make the same mistake.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 5 Mar 24 at 11:23
 Double glazing repairs. - Bromptonaut
Mis measuring is easy enough even for the professionals.

Guy turned up to replace one at the hospital when I was there on an outreach. The item he brought in was considerably less in height than the damaged item. Blamed his colleague....
 Double glazing repairs. - Bobby
As a side note, just had to replace a lock on one of our upstairs windows.
These guys were very helpful with information, what to measure etc and delivered the next day

upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/
 Double glazing repairs. - bathtub tom
>>After mis-measuring a couple of windows for blinds

Had a couple of places round here to quote for internal shutters. I thought one of them had got the dimensions wrong on one window by 60mm width and 100mm height. Contacted them and they said it would be corrected by spacers (it was 100mm too high!). Revealed they wouldn't be fitting them, but put out to a sub-contractor. They went on to say they had dodged a bullet as I obviously wouldn't be using them.
The place I did use was measured and fitted by the same bloke - suspect he had OCD, which wasn't a bad thing.
 Double glazing repairs. - Robin O'Reliant
We had a carpet fitted years ago and I measured the room myself. When the fitters were laying it out I heard one of them say, "What idiot did they send round to do these measurements"? I had forgotten to allow for the doorways.

I said nothing and stayed well away till after they finally got it to fit.
 Double glazing repairs. - smokie
My daughter had a new carpet last week which was about 10cm short. Measured by a bloke from the shop so a replacement is on its way.
 Double glazing repairs. - Terry
As a matter of principle I always get these sort of things measured by suppliers - same with window blinds where width and height are critical, kitchen units etc.

Although I regard myself as completely competent with Stanleys best, a mistake can cost £1000s. Better to have someone else carry the responsibility.
 Double glazing repairs. - Ted
Next door had patio doors when they moved in, The window glass was far too big, so not being of any use to them, I scrounged them. Later I did some work to the end walls of the middle garage and used both panels, on their sides, one at each end, as windows

I fitted grilles outside both after another scrounge, from a friend with a shop who had to fit more modern security for the insurance.

We have had youths trying to break windows at the rear of our houses with railway ballast off the tramway. I heard the stones thumping on next door's lawn one dark evening. I crept down the the end of my garden and two youths were sat on the railway fence enjoying themselves. A few minutes later the healthy smack of a .22 slug against a denim clad thigh produced howls of pain and abuse. They never saw me, I was in my bushes like a Japanese sniper. I never did find out who fired the shot but It seemed to stop them !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts