Non-motoring > House insurance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 11

House insurance - MD
Just had our house renewal. Very good and comprehensive cover but up 33% on last year.

Anyone else found this?

MD
 House insurance - smokie
Nah and I'm not about to insure your house anyway :-)
 House insurance - hjd
My quote up 79% from last year. No changes in any details.
About to shop around.
 House insurance - legacylad
Oh yes. Renewed both my mums and my own house insurances recently. Shopped around as per usual…both 40% up, and my annual multi trip travel insurance also up 45%, but when I claimed recently they were very efficient at paying out. And I’m now on statins and a year older so that has to be taken into consideration.
 House insurance - Bromptonaut
Not due until May so not worrying yet but it seems it's not just motor insurance that's getting a lot more costly.
 House insurance - Terry
Building materials have increased by ~20% pa for the last 2/3 years mainly due to pandemic + Ukraine. Over the last few months they have declined by much smaller amounts although the impact of Middle East disruption would not have been factored in.

No separate figures for labour costs but may reflect general shortage of skilled trades.

House insurance premiums for policies now being renewed would have been set towards the end of 2022, based on expectations of emerging from the pandemic.

These would be insufficient to cover actual claim costs - increases of 20-40% are unsurprising.
 House insurance - Manatee
I'm expecting a rise simply because last time was ridiculously cheap. We had a big claim in 2019, approaching £300,000 I imagine. After we rebuilt I had to find insurance that would cover us before the house was signed off for building regs, which cost c. £700 - after sign off and on expiry, the premium offered was still about the same but Esure offered about £200. I was so shocked by how cheap it was that I double and triple checked it actually covered buildings and contents.

It runs out next month and I expect a big hike. It's on auto-renewal. I can't contemplate not having insurance!
 House insurance - MD
Thank you to all. I feel slightly less bad now:-)
My E sure renewal came through at £252, up from £225. Due in 5 days time. Seems to good to be true.

Having had a major claim in 2019, I don't bother with fiddly add-ons, I just make darn sure I'm covered if the house burns down!

Meanwhile I got an email from Confused dot com based on my search last year, cheapest quote was Halifax at £472, then Hastings £550 and AA £604. I really don't understand it. I have checked very carefully.

About 500k rebuild cost and 50k contents. No "all risks".

House insurance - CGNorwich
I agree. It’s the catastrophe you need to insure against. Never bother with insuring anything I can afford to lose.
Yes, your catastrophe approach worked for us.

42 years with no claims to speak of, then a major fire that would definitely have messed up our retirement!

Just checked the schedule before confirming. It appears I did actually specify about £4k of bikes and the policy by default I think includes £7k for personal possessions removed from the house, also home emergency and legal.

I don't mind them bundling this at this price! And the buildings cover is actually "unimited".

Still hope I don't need it.
 House insurance - Clk Sec
We had our home/contents auto renewal last week at just under 12% increase on the previous year.

I wouldn't be too happy with some of the increases up-thread.
Latest Forum Posts