Non-motoring > 1st world problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 9

1st world problems - Bobby
So, this morning I got up, ready and walked across the hallway from bedroom to my office. iPhone in hand.
By the time I reached the office the phone died which was strange as it was on charge all night as usual.
Signed into work laptop Crossing everything that this wouldn’t be the day that I got the Microsoft Authenticator prompt. Alas it was and I couldn’t authenticate cos my phone was dead and showing no sign of life.
So I couldn’t log in to do my work. I couldn’t text my boss cos I had no working phone.

I chanced my arm and put my phone on charge and miraculously it started charging and after 10 mins I got enough juice in it to let me sign in to laptop.

But for a wee while I felt absolutely paralysed without the use of a mobile. No one else was in the house, I have no landline. The only phone number I know is my dad’s landline and he doesn’t answer that!

Now after a bit of rational thinking set in I realised I could email my manager from my personal laptop but no idea if she was in, on leave or what.

I think I may be a bit over reliant on my mobile phone……

And as a footnote, phone fully charged so I am guessing I couldn’t have had the charger cable properly inserted last night!
 1st world problems - zippy
Similar problem - but not power related.

Didn't use my work iPhone over Xmas so when I tried to use Outlook on the phone it required MS Authenticator to run but wouldn't allow MS Authenticator to be opened whilst it was open for some reason. Because I was half awake, this was more of a problem than it should have been so I logged on to my laptop and email required MS authenticator as well.

Rebooting the iPhone allowed access to MS Authenticator, laptop Outlook then iPhone Outlook.

I used to get texts with OTP codes. They seemed simpler, but "when" MS Authenticator works, it is seamless.
 1st world problems - Dave
That’s why I keep my previous iphone regularly charged and updated, as a mirror copy of my current phone. Its got a payg sim that has a bit of money put on it every year to keep alive.
 1st world problems - Rudedog
That's being brought in for all NHS staff to access their emails/Teams on nhs.net in about a months time.

Loads of staff will have issues, many struggle with remembering their current password let alone try and use a phone app (assuming they have access to a phone while at work) - also I know there are many staff who refuse to have anything remotely linked to work on their personal phones so I can see this not being straight forward.

Great if you are used to apps but believe me we have many staff who are boarding on IT illiterate.

1st world problems - CGNorwich
"we have many staff who are boarding on IT illiterate."

Perhaps they are better at English? :-)

1st world problems - sooty123
also I know there are many staff who refuse to have anything remotely
>> linked to work on their personal phones so I can see this not being straight
>> forward.

What happens in that case? Or if their phone doesn't work with the authenticator?
 1st world problems - Kevin
IBM introduced a BYOD scheme and punted it as if they were doing employees a favour. BS - they wanted to save a few $ for C-Suite bonuses. I refused to have any work related app on my personal phone. Especially one capable of wiping it.
 1st world problems - Zero

>> Loads of staff will have issues, many struggle with remembering their current password let
Fujitsu have a solution for that
 1st world problems - smokie
While I am full of admiration for the front line staff and what they do, from what you've said I do think that "the NHS" needs do something to encourage their staff to up their game a bit on some things. It seems a bit odd to me that people have been appointed in this day and age into a fairly computerised organisation who are bordering on computer illiterate, and that the situation has been allowed to continue.
 1st world problems - zippy
>>NHS...

Miss Z relies on her bleeper (pager) at hospital.

So often mobile phone signals can't penetrate the concrete bowels of hospitals so using that as an authentication service wouldn't wash if they can't get a signal, though I guess authenticator works via wifi as well.

Faxes are still used - can't recall why.

We had a BYOD for IT staff and IT contractors. A few years ago the bank discovered some security risk and overnight, significantly over 1,000 new laptops, pre-installed to the banks specs were delivered from a lucky IT distributor.

I would never use my main device for BYOD, heard so many horror stories from clients in the health care services where staffs personal details have been reviewed or leaked and they are now taking legal action.
Latest Forum Posts