Non-motoring > Software for house design Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 6

Software for house design - hawkeye
We have renewed planning permission for a house in our garden and propose to build it next year. I'm looking for anyone who has experience of transferring plan measurements to a piece of easy-to-use software that will give Mrs H and I a 3D view of what we have just drawn or tweaked. The finished article should give us a view like one sees in e.g. the TV prog. Grand Designs. Like all the other over-confident numpties with no experience, I shall probably be doing the project work myself and employing local tradespeople.

We know what the exterior is supposed to look like but the plans are 20 years old and we need to completely re-jig the interior.

I wondered if Google sketchup would do or if I should shell out some hard cash on something or other.

We are drowning in paper, we are out of fresh coffee and the bin is full of pencil sharpenings. Please help:-)

TIA

PS I anticipate this is the first of many posts on this subject.
 Software for house design - movilogo
Google Sketch Up is quite powerful but has a steep learning curve.

For ease of use, try some web based tools like www.floorplanner.com/ etc.
Movilogo,

Floorplanner rocks! Just what I was looking for. Mrs H and I have spent an interesting couple of hours designing this afternoon.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
 Software for house design - Alastairw
Why not contact 'Grand Designs'? They are always looking for new projects.
>> Why not contact 'Grand Designs'? They are always looking for new projects.
>>

I imagine I'll have enough to do without tripping over Kev and a camera crew traipsing around in the mud. And it's far far from a grand design; a 3 bed detached.

Movilogo, thanks, I'll give it a go
 Software for house design - BiggerBadderDave
Or you could try Cowboy Builders. Dominic Littlewood will sort it for you.

Mind you, that's assuming you're stupid enough to have already handed over £50k to the first bloke with a hard hat and a hammer to turn up on your doorstep and wonder why he never came back.

Some people...
 Software for house design - swiss tony
>> Why not contact 'Grand Designs'? They are always looking for new projects.
>>
This could be a pilot for a new series.. 'Not so Grand Designs'
Latest Forum Posts