Non-motoring > happy new year Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 17

happy new year - Zero
Today, Last day of 2023, I spent in the company of a working (in steam) 1929 62 feet high, 800 ton, Worthington Simpson triple expansion steam engine (same engine as the titanic).

But wait, I was also able to gaze into the glowing ultra violet orb of a 1920's 200 amp mercury arc rectifier, like staring into the warp drive of the starship enterprise

Its a man thing

Happy new year
 happy new year - Runfer D'Hills
Happy New Year to you, and indeed to all here.
I took my dog for a long walk this morning, came home, had a little nap and then watched a film on Netflix.
This retirement lark is going to take some practice I suppose, so I thought I’d get some training in.
;-)
 happy new year - legacylad
Quite so. Early morning spirited drive to Skipton for provisions. Best part of the day TBH
A less spirited drive home as there were more automobiles around
Stocked up my old mums freezer with sharpy labelled M & S microwave meals
Cooked her a Snake & Pygmy pie with all the trimmings. And a pudd.
Cleaned out two long patio drains between downpours
‘Negotiated’ mates rates on a pals available apartment in warmer climes.
Booked flights, airport parking, car hire. Paid mate by BACS.
Far too much excitement for one ( alcohol free) day
Lashing rain oop North....feel sorry for the soggy tourists in their rental properties trying to make the most of this atrocious weather.
HNY
 happy new year - Kevin
>...a 1920's 200 amp mercury arc rectifier..

Thyratron?

They used them at British Steel (probably still do) for switching thousands of amps at Glub knows how many kV. Stand watching them for a while and you'll get a lovely tan.

Bah, humbug.
 happy new year - Crankcase
Got to 6 pm before I discovered it was New Year's Eve at all, but then I rarely know the day or date these days. And now it's definitely bedtime. No change there though, never in my life have I "seen in the New Year".
 happy new year - Ted

Up at 0930. Wife was up. Had a cuppa and some Weetibangs, then all my drugs. Wife went for a bath listening to 'The Shouty Show ' also known as the Archers. All arguing, I only listen to learn about rapeseed yields and pig futures.

Been suffering with a foot ulcer and bone infection since May and she won't let me do anything so installed myself on the sofa with the crossword. Only walking, until now, was to get the remote from across the room. She changed my dressing and noted the wound had improved a lot. The infection was declared gone last week. Still have to wear the Sandal of Shame though.

After lunch, friends came with a birthday card and some fancy cheeses for me...nice. Had a stinking head cold for a couple of days, so bad the old diaphragm hurts when I cough. I think it will be gone by AM though.

Telly, naps and dinner then decided to come up at 2130, check on line, have a glass of Jura and an early night.

Happy New Year to one and all !

Ted
 happy new year - zippy
Happy New Year!
 happy new year - Dog
>>Been suffering with a foot ulcer and bone infection since May

Think I've seen ewe on GP's behind clothes doors?

Hanuka honey is good - I haves it on me toast :)

HNY, honey.
 happy new year - Ted

>>
>> Hanuka honey is good - I haves it on me toast :)

I takes it on me foot, Perro. That's wot the Podiatry clinic does !

Ted
 happy new year - Dog
>>I takes it on me foot, Perro. That's wot the Podiatry clinic does !

I wish you a healthy new year, Teddy. And no. it's not just the Doom Bar talking.

Hic!
 happy new year - Ted

Finest New Years felicitations to you too, Doggychops.

Thats not the John Smiths bitter talking either !

Also hic !

Teddy
 happy new year - Duncan
>> Today, Last day of 2023, I spent in the company of a working (in steam)
>> 1929 62 feet high, 800 ton, Worthington Simpson triple expansion steam engine (same engine as
>> the titanic).

>> Happy new year
>>

Kempton?

Happy New year.
 happy new year - Zero

>> Kempton?

First past the post
 happy new year - Duncan
I haven't been paying attention.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV1AZ5IAUl8&ab_channel=MrKnowwun

I've been a few times, I like to watch the big steam engine being started by the little steam engine. It fascinates me.

Hypnotic.

www.kemptonsteam.org
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 1 Jan 24 at 06:08
 happy new year - Manatee
>> I spent in the company of a working (in steam) 1929 62 feet high, 800 ton, Worthington Simpson triple expansion steam engine (same engine as the titanic

Kempton Steam Museum? I keep meaning to go, I will do it soon.

HNY all.
 happy new year - Bromptonaut
>> Kempton Steam Museum? I keep meaning to go, I will do it soon.

Another one for my list of attractions accessible from CAMC Wyatt's Covert.
 happy new year - Robin O'Reliant
Happy New to one and all from a very wet (It hasn't stopped raining for two months) west Wales.
 happy new year - Bromptonaut
And HNY to all from soon to be wet (yet again) South Northamptonshire. Ground waterlogged so any new rainfall is just going to flow off.
Latest Forum Posts