Non-motoring > Passport turnaround Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 4

Passport turnaround - Manatee
If you need a new passport for next year I think now could be a good time to get your application in before people start booking holidays between Christmas and New Year.

Ours haven't actually arrived yet, but I did the online applications last Thursday, posted the old ones back on Saturday, and today we have had emails to say the new ones are approved and being printed.

Our old ones were due to expire next June, but apparently we now need at least 3 months validity left for most destinations and 6 months for some others.
 Passport turnaround - Bromptonaut
Now is probably a very good time. The rush seems to be on the cusp of school holidays when people going away shortly remember to check them. Some people don't even then.

My sister and family were on the M1 towards the Channel when her husband discovered his had expired!!

That was some years ago when UK departure checks where skimpy and arrival in France on Sunday evening usually found the checks non existent. Getting back into the UK involved a few questions but no real delay.

I think renewals where there are no complications are more or less automated unless somebody intervenes to demand extra checks.
 Passport turnaround - Rudedog
Reminds me I need to get mine renewed ready for next year - mine also expires in June.

I've heard that there could be extra digital checks coming in to enter Europe, I go through dover so bet it will be fun!

Passport turnaround - Bromptonaut
>> I've heard that there could be extra digital checks coming in to enter Europe, I
>> go through dover so bet it will be fun!

Facial recognition and fingerprints akin to entering the USA is what I've seen.

Maybe only once though in which case there's an overwhelming reason for a midweek/midwinter trip, just into the Pas de Calais region for a couple of nights.
 Passport turnaround - Manatee
Incredibly, I have just had a text saying Royal Mail are delivering my "HM Passport Office parcel" between 10.00 and 12.00 tomorrow, exactly one week since I did the online applications and 5 days since posting them our old ones.
Latest Forum Posts