Non-motoring > Mobility Scooters Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Mobility Scooters - Bobby
Ok, forget to my message in the Insurance thread, my 91 year old dad is going to give up his car and wants me to source him a mobility scooter.

Will use it to go to church, his voluntary work at the local hospice, and to the Aldi for his shopping. All within a mile of his house.

I understand there are pavement ones and road ones. He is adamant he wants a road one that can do the 8mph but I am hoping to talk him out of that for obvious reasons.

Would appreciate any input/ experience/ recommendations of this situation.

My gut feeling is I would like one with bigger wheels that look a bit more robust for up and down kerbs etc.

Wouldn’t need it to fold for car boots or anything.

Would be stored and charged in his garage.

To access his garage there is a steep road at side of his house. Would need to be able to comfortably go up this. And down it. I assume these are drive wheels only so no chance of it freewheeling away down the hill?
Would need to have space or storage of some sort for his shopping.

Not sure about weather proofing? Have seen scooters with a zip up transparent cover over them but don’t believe that would give any level of visibility.

And finally, how do you secure these when parked outside shops etc?
*further not forget
 Mobility Scooters - bathtub tom
As my previous reply, I sourced one for my (now late) MIL. I didn't tell her about the 8MPH jobbies, as I didn't trust her to be on the roads and I'd seen enough pensioners using the higher speed (illegally) on the pavements, at risk to pedestrians.

The slower version was more than enough for her to get about to shops, library, GP and us. It had more than enough range. It was more than adequate for the hills around here and fine going up and down dropped kerbs, but I doubt if it would manage full kerbs. The brake was a 'dead mans handle' that would hold it on the steepest slope.

It was stored in her (now redundant) garage that had a 13A socket.

Security was a simple ignition type key, which no doubt could be easily bypassed.

She used to put her handbag in the front basket, until I convinced her it wasn't safe. She then had an old bag with a few coins in it and her purse elsewhere.

I did find out they were supposed to be registered with the DVLA, but not requiring any plates or insurance. I did check her household insurance covered her in case she run anyone down.

I suggest you get him to try a few, to satisfy him he gets one he likes and then shop around for that model. I found these 'mobility' type shops charge a premium.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sun 17 Dec 23 at 22:42
Cheers BT for that, very comprehensive.

There seem to be plenty used versions available and look to be some local “companies” selling refurbished etc. When I used to work in the hospice charity shops we occasionally got one donated from a bereaved family. I remember road testing one that seemed to have an intermittent fault where it would keep cutting out and that is the fear for me. If he gets one that is too big for the boot of a car and it “breaks down” while he is out on it what do you do? Just unlock the driven wheels and push him a mile back home? :)

I plan to do a walk of his chosen routes to check exactly state of play with dropped kerbs and obstacles ( I visited him yesterday and it was wheelie bin day - there would be no chance of him getting along the pavement).

Yeah the 8mph gives me the fear!! 4mph is slightly faster than I walk normally and no one else will walk with me cos they say I walk too fast!

Mobility Scooters - bathtub tom
I recalled googling: mobility scooter forum

Gives you hours of reading over Christmas!
 Mobility Scooters - VxFan
One suggestion is to buy toe protection footwear if any family members have a mobility scooter.
Sooner or later they will end up running over your feet.
 Mobility Scooters - Ted
www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/hayabusa-overview-boom-trikes--413205334536422784
/
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Dec 23 at 11:23
 Mobility Scooters - tyrednemotional
>> One suggestion is to buy toe protection footwear if any family members have a mobility
>> scooter.
>> Sooner or later they will end up running over your feet.
>>

...and you'll be able to kick them really hard when they do.....?
 Mobility Scooters - Fullchat
I've got mine order :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=19wYCVGJBcM

Latest Forum Posts