Non-motoring > Electricity prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 12

Electricity prices - Manatee
Just got my notification consequent on the new caps from 1 Jan. I only have electricity.

"The price you pay for your electricity is changing from 27.92p per kWh to 29.21p per kWh. Your electricity standing charge is changing from 44.01p per day to 43.99p per day."

I use 8900kWh/year which would be £2760 or £230/month were I to make level payments. At the moment they are billing me monthly in arrears which is nice.

I'm on variable rates. There is a new 100% 12m. green electric fix available with a slightly lower unit rate which would cost £2715.

Not too bothered by the £45 difference, and loath to risk missing out on possible price cuts from 1 April next year. I'll stick with the variable. If prices fluctuate during the year I might even get a better fix.

Electricity prices - Dog
I'm with BG, all electric and paid £1250 for the past years energy.

I just did a 'Which Switch', which came up with a possible saving of £31.12 a year!

But the companies it came up with, such as Outfox and Home Energy, I wouldn't touch

I was thinking about switching to an Octopuses garden, for which I can get a £50 referral bung, but the jury is still out on that one.
 Electricity prices - Bromptonaut
Currently on SO Energy's cap tracker.

They've offered me fixes but savings are not worth it.
>> Currently on SO Energy's cap tracker.
>>
>> They've offered me fixes but savings are not worth it.

Yep that's the one, SO Flex. You should be getting your 'letter' about now.

The notional savings are paltry but of course if does offer protection on the upside of prices. Expectations ATM however seem for be for a small price drop in Q2.

SO hasn't actually caused me any grief. But all the T& C's seem to suggest I should be on a level DD. They are actually direct debiting me on about the 13th of each month for my actual usage the previous month. At the same time my statements always say, on a red background, that I am in arrears, my DD might be too low, and I should make an interim card payment. This is baffling because the statement also says that I will be direct debited with exactly the amount of the "arrears" on or after the 13th. So naturally I just wait for that to happen, it's fine by me. I'm sure if I had a level DD they's be holding about £600 of my money by now.

This might have its roots in the fact that I wasn't living here when I got the supply, and I asked for a site supply. But the statements still don't make sense.
 Electricity prices - RichardW
A fix being offered at less than Jan's rates means that they are hedging on the rate being lower later in the year to make up the difference.

I've had similar offer from Octopus. I need to work out if the savings over the 3 (heavy use) months of Jan - Mar save more than the buy out (£150 dual fuel) should rates take a downwards hike later in the year...
>> I was thinking about switching to an Octopuses garden, for which I can get a
>> £50 referral bung, but the jury is still out on that one.

That's pretty impressive Dog. Of our 8900kWh the heat pump tells me it has used 3740 for heating, and 913 for hot water in the last 12 months. I don't think that's bad, but it adds up roughly to your total bill. Are you using your heat pump, or burning lots of logs?

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Dec 23 at 11:54
 Electricity prices - smokie
I'm still on Octopus's Tracker tariffs.

Today's elec is a little below usual at 18.16 but as it's a bit lower still tomorrow I'll charge the car & do the dishwasher then :-)

Today's gas is 4.96p. Gas has been edging higher as the weather deteriorates. The average since 1 July is 4.86p

I have gambled a bit by going with the elec tracker as there is a tariff which gives you six hours overnight at 7.5p and the rest at 31p. I thought as I'm not really doing many miles these days if I charge as much as poss on the cheaper days then maybe it'd balance out. As it happens, since July I'm about 10% up. It si better being able to just do stuff when you want rather than doing the dishwasher overnight but that wouldn't be a hardship if I need to change.

Since July, when I went onto elec tracker, I've used 1909 units at an average cost of 18.26p

For Octopus referrals ask here :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 12 Dec 23 at 14:35
 Electricity prices - legacylad
Manatee…the only gambling I do is going to bed and hoping I wake up.

All the exciting ( for me)!stuff in the mountains is a risk assessment :-)
Yes that's the big one. And yet we won't care...

I don't lose much sleep over electricity prices. Unless I do something really daft I am unlikely to live long enough to get down to my last £1.

It just rankles that the pricing formula means somebody is making superprofits from us.
Smokie, is that the tariff they advertise for folks with EVs?
 Electricity prices - Dog
>> Are you using your heat pump, or burning lots of logs?

I'm a skinflint, Manatee. The thermostat is set at 18C 24/7/365. It's 19 degrees here in the lounge, but the heat pump hasn't come on, yet.

Funnily enough, I feel the cold more than the ole woman, I know it's the other way round with the boss and you.

Unfortunately, we don't have a wood burner here, unlike our previous properties, thinking we might move (AGAIN!) next year - I miss the old cottage, the damp, the mould, the mice running around in the loft etc. etc.

:o}

Electricity prices - smokie
The main EV tariff is Intelligent Octopus, which is the one I'm not using (31p/7p) :-).

You also get occasional random cheap sessions during the day, so if you leave your car plugged in it might get a boost during the peak period at bargain prices. (As all your electricity comes at the cheap rate, you can do your washing etc during the 6h period or, if you have a method to find out when there is a cheap random period, have other automated tasks kick off)

There is also Go which gives you 4 hours cheap, I think the cheap bit is 9.5p and I can't remember the full rate, but most with compatible cars or chargers would now go with IO.
No EV no Go!!!
Latest Forum Posts