Non-motoring > Pigs in blankets Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Pigs in blankets - legacylad
I like them on occasion throughout the year. Sprouts same.
See no reason whatsoever to buy them…far prefer to buy the sausage I like…Cumberland, Westmorland or Toulouse, cut them to size, then wrap them in whichever bacon I prefer. Dry cured, smoked, streaky.
Far better than some tasteless chipolata thing.
 Pigs in blankets - Biggles
That assumes you can source some bacon which isn't half water (so-called dry cured).
 Pigs in blankets - James Loveless
I don't particularly like pigs in blankets, but last year I thought I would give them a go - but only because I reckoned I could cook them in the newly-acquired Ninja dual-drawer air fryer. It's just too complicated to fit them in the main oven with all the other stuff going on.

So I made them myself (using decent ingredients as above), put them in one drawer and put stuffing balls in the other.

Result - a resounding success, which means I shall be expected to repeat it all this year.
Last edited by: James Loveless on Fri 8 Dec 23 at 22:38
 Pigs in blankets - Zero

Love pigs in blankets, as said make your own
 Pigs in blankets - smokie
I was at a minor Christmas do the other night and there were some Fiery Pigs In Blankets lentil crisps - vegan apparently - from Aldi - they were pretty fiery and very tasty. Went to get some last night but none in stock.

I hadn't realised that a number of meat flavoured crisps are vegan/veggie.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 9 Dec 23 at 09:00
 Pigs in blankets - Ted

I asked for sausages and mash the other evening for me tea.

The TQ dug out some Linda McCartney ones from the freezer. Ugh, just like re-constituted grain, no flavour, no fat content. Had to eat them in case of recriminations but sorry, Vegans....not in this house, thank you !

Ted
 Pigs in blankets - Bromptonaut
Some vegan sausages are acceptable - Richmond for example.

However compared with decent outdoor bred pork or Charley Barley's Beef ones from Stornoway there's no contest. I don't think there is any means (yet) by which the fat content and mouth feel of proper meat can be imitated.

Mrs B is vegan and if we want sausages and mash we just cook two lots of sausages. Same if we're being posh and having Saucisse aux Lentilles.
 Pigs in blankets - Dog
I had some Linda McCartney bangers in the week. I fries 'em til thems is well brown, bung some wholegrain mustard on 'em, and stick 'em between 2 slices of my home-made wholemeal bread.

Proper bangers, made from decaying animal flesh, I do's in me air fryer.
 Pigs in blankets - BiggerBadderDave
'some Linda McCartney bangers'

Paul McCartney and her first husband being the most obvious.
 Pigs in blankets - Zero
>>
>> I asked for sausages and mash the other evening for me tea.
>>
>> The TQ dug out some Linda McCartney ones from the freezer.

Like Linda, unpalatable.
 Pigs in blankets - Terry
There are multiple definitions of "sausage" depending on whether it is cured, dried, sold raw etc.

The common denominator is that it contains MEAT - or at least some bit of what was once alive.

Rather than the traditional (although somewhat off putting) original sausage casing using intestine, veggie sausage casings are usually an alginate gel. By comparison the Linda McCartney veggie sausages look positively scrumptious!

Rehydrated Textured SOYA Protein (52%), Water, Rapeseed Oil, SOYA Protein Concentrate, Seasoning (SULPHITES) (Dextrose, Flavourings, Salt, Onion Powder, Yeast Extract, Colour: Red Iron Oxide), Fortified WHEAT Flour (WHEAT Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Bamboo Fibre, Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose, Tomato Purée, Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Carbonates

Pigs in blankets - legacylad
Few years ago I was back packing with friends..either Vosges or Jura, wild camping living off army rations ( friend was a CCF commander) and we dropped into a small border village for fresh food. Local bar had chitterling sausages. The most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted…far far worse than French andouilette ( misspelled ?) sausages.

Sticks in the memory
As it did in the throat
Latest Forum Posts