Non-motoring > And now RIP Glenys Kinnock Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 3

And now RIP Glenys Kinnock - smokie
Interestingly, "Gordon Brown made her a baroness in 2009 so she could serve as a Foreign Office minister in his cabinet." the Beeb says. Fancy that.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67606751
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 3 Dec 23 at 22:31
 And now RIP Glenys Kinnock - Bromptonaut
>> Interestingly, "Gordon Brown made her a baroness in 2009 so she could serve as a
>> Foreign Office minister in his cabinet." the Beeb says. Fancy that.
>>
>> www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67606751

It happens as per our 'constitution'.

Both sides gribble and whinge about democracy when the other does it but if you've an appointed Upper House it's not exactly shock horror if people get appointed.

Cathy Ashton was placed in the Lords for similar reasons. She was a much better MoS in DCA/Justice than some of her elected (near) contemporaries - of either stripe.
 And now RIP Glenys Kinnock - Biggles
Wasn't she a PuS rather than a MoS? Can't recall any of her achievements but perhaps you can enlighten me.
 And now RIP Glenys Kinnock - Bromptonaut
>> Wasn't she a PuS rather than a MoS? Can't recall any of her achievements but
>> perhaps you can enlighten me.

You're right, she was PUS. Junior Minister under Lord Falconer from 2004-2007.

She was a competent Junior Minister with a proper grasp of her brief. More than could be said for some of the others with variations on the same portfolio.

I met her becuase she had responsibility, after Lord Filkin, for the DCA Quango I worked in and also the Public Guardianship Office in which I had worked and was going through a torid time as it was reformed.

Of the others Rosie Winterton (L) was at best mediocre and a Scruffy Herbert when addressing public events. Jonathan Djnaogly (C) had the air of a kid on Work Experience.....

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 4 Dec 23 at 14:10
Latest Forum Posts