Non-motoring > Not a bad profit ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 7

Not a bad profit ! - Ted

A couple of weeks ago SWMBO and her best pal went for a trip out to a Cheshire town about 15 miles from here to look at a high class furniture shop, frequented by WAGs and the like.
Pal wanted a coffee table and they were also to have a bit of lunch there........Store A.

Pal saw a marble ( probably marble dust and resin ) one that she really liked and would fulfil her desires. It was a tad over £1600 !
As she and Mr Pal are off on a cuise, she put off the decision until she gets home.

Fast forward a couple of weeks....SWMBO and I go to a large, top quality, expensive, furniture store in unfashinable North Manchester to order some new ceramic coals for our fire. ( and have the obligatory coffee )....Store B.

There, on the same floor as the coffee shop, was the same table, same manufacturer, same size......identical........£645...and not in a sale or special offer. Store B gets
the business.
Bearing in mind that store B are, presumably making a good profit, it does seem to me that store A is just taking the urine....'cos it knows it's main customer base has more cash then brains !

Ted
 Not a bad profit ! - RattleandSmoke
Cheshire certainly sees people coming! The mentality is if you pay more it must be better.

But when you earn £300,000 a week what is £1000?
 Not a bad profit ! - Bellboy
i explained to a non customer only today that most products sell because they fit the pocket of the buyer not because its value for money
your example proves this
ps it will be dust and glue,i knew someone who dealt in this rubbish and once its chipped it needs major cutting and buffing
best tell them to buy a few orange boxes to perch their pino's on
 Not a bad profit ! - Old Navy
>> best tell them to buy a few orange boxes to perch their pino's on
>>

Yes you can't beat real wood.
 Not a bad profit ! - Alastairw
Would store A be the Italian sounding one in Macclesfield perchance, Ted? They do provide very comprehensive aftersales service apparently, but I'd expect a three peice suite for £1600.
 Not a bad profit ! - teabelly
The product may or may not be identical. It might look the same but is it? There are plenty of knock offs around.. but I'd always look in said shop's bargain basement section as there are often good buys in there. The devil is always in the detail.

Not a bad profit ! - BobbyG
Try browsing some property websites and you will see some absolute horrendous rents that some shops need to pay. Even in Glasgow, there are some rents which are running well into 6 figures per annum, if not more.

Thats a hell of a lot of profit to be made from their goods just to cover rent, before you think rates, wages etc. No wonder there are so many internet only based "shops" that run from warehouses on deserted industrial estates.

Not a bad profit ! - Ted

It is indeed Alistair........where else !
Shop B is just as classy as shop A, They run a television ad several times a day and have gentlemen in top hats opening the doors for you.

I don't think they'll be into knock off or snide gear !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts