Non-motoring > Any Tarmac experts? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Any Tarmac experts? - Bobby
Council contractors have dug up road and pavement to put in new street lights.
They have filled in and tarmacced the surfaces but they look as rough as a rough thing and there does not seem to be any of the black sealant type stuff that you normally see at the edges of a repair.
Anyone know is this applied later on, once it has settled (or more likely crumbled in this example) or have they just been cutting corners (pardon the pun) to finish the job?
 Any Tarmac experts? - Bromptonaut
We had similar works here but by Gigaclear laying fibre optic cable rather than the council.

Mostly along pavements but on accoasions it crosses roads. Properly restored, rolled level and sealed as you say all as they went on.

It may be that in your case they're wait for it to settle etc. Keep an eye on it and see what happens. If it stays rough and breaks up report it.
 Any Tarmac experts? - bathtub tom
I thought they'd stopped the practice of sealing edges of repairs as it formed a slippery surface when wet. Not good for motorbikes!
 Any Tarmac experts? - VxFan
>> I thought they'd stopped the practice of sealing edges of repairs as it formed a slippery surface when wet. Not good for motorbikes!

That's what I heard too. No excuse not to continue sealing edges on pavements though when filled back in.
>> I thought they'd stopped the practice of sealing edges of repairs as it formed a
>> slippery surface when wet. Not good for motorbikes!

Interesting. As somebody who is biggly into 2 wheeled travel, albeit not motorised, I'd ncer heard of such a threat. Neither have I experienced any issue, even momentarily, myself.

OTOH thermoplastic paint has nearly offed me on multiple occasions. In deed it might have been responsible for me ending up in an undignified heap on Sunninghill high st while on a provisions for my room outing from the (then) Civil Service College.
 Any Tarmac experts? - Zero

>> Anyone know is this applied later on, once it has settled

Nope, its usually left as a rolled in patch.
 Any Tarmac experts? - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Nope, its usually left as a rolled in patch.
>>

....and again, a few weeks later....

....and again, a few weeks later....

....and....
Thanks for feedback- emailed the Council and got this reply:

Bobby
Our maintenance contractor do not use a hot bitumen sealer due to health and safety issues. Due to the poor state of the existing footway which is already crumbling away they have tied in as best as can be.

What H&S concerns are these?
 Any Tarmac experts? - Zero
The "hot" is a clue
>> What H&S concerns are these?

Hot tar/bitumen is a significant burn risk. The vapour from it is probably a risk too.
Yeah I get that.
But surely that’s where you do risk assessments and mitigate the risks? Surely sealing the tarmac is part of the job?
 Any Tarmac experts? - Rudedog
What! How do they do white lines then?

Without sealing the inner and outer edges the repair will fail - water ingress plus hot/cold cycle will cause the tarmac to lift.

The laying of Tarmac including repairs have to to be done using prescribed temperatures for it to work - repairs that don't follow these are just bodges and will fail.

The council ones don't seal repairs around where I am now but the repairs we had made down our unadopted road were sealed and have lasted over five years now.

Last edited by: Rudedog on Tue 28 Nov 23 at 15:44
>> the repairs we
>> had made down our unadopted road were sealed and have lasted over five years now.

Unlike any motorcyclists that found them in the rain.

;>)
 Any Tarmac experts? - smokie
Our logic tells us that it won't be a good repair if not sealed but surely the councils wouldn't embark on a course of action without taking some expert advice, rather than what the man in the street (or on the internet) thinks?
>> surely the councils wouldn't embark on a course of action without taking some expert advice

They would round here, judging from the contradictory parking signs they've put up at each end of roads.
Latest Forum Posts