Non-motoring > Cateract Surgery Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 26

Cateract Surgery - Robin O'Reliant
I've got my right eye being seen to tomorrow. One or two of you here must have had it done, how soon were you back behind the wheel?
 Cateract Surgery - John Boy
According to my diary I waited 6 days.
 Cateract Surgery - Duncan
I don't remember waiting any time?

I had both done about 6? weeks apart. Brilliant - in every way.
>> According to my diary I waited 6 days.
>>

Are you going to leave your diaries to the nation when you shuffle orf?
 Cateract Surgery - John Boy
>> Are you going to leave your diaries to the nation when you shuffle orf?
>>
No, just to Apple - it's my iPhone calendar.
 Cateract Surgery - tyrednemotional
...no need to leave it to Apple, they have all your data already...
 Cateract Surgery - Fullchat
I really cant recall. It wasn't that long. As soon as the eye patch was off.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 25 Oct 23 at 23:22
 Cateract Surgery - James Loveless
I was told to wait until I was confident I could meet the legal requirements (reading a number plate at 20m).

In practice, I waited longer than I needed to - about a week.

Everything was a bit blurry at first, though the improvement in clarity was obvious immediately.
 Cateract Surgery - neiltoo
>> Everything was a bit blurry at first, though the improvement in clarity was obvious immediately.
>>

Same for me.

Between operations - about 6 weeks - I took the lense out of my glasses for the operated eye which gave me adequate vision.

I actually found that even without the glasses I had reasonable binocular vision, and could judge distances.

Brilliant thing, the brain.

I think that my myopia required a value of 7 somethings - pretty bad.

I was given a choice for the focal length of the implant. I chose to have the centre of focus at about 4 metres. This means that in good light I can see clearly from reading distance to infinity.

I can read a newspaper in good daylight wihout spectacles, but I generally use them for reading.

The operation is a doddle with just a little discomfort. If you aren't squeamish you can see it on youtube. It's a very clever procedure.

My result has been fantastic. It was done in 2017 and I still wonder at the result. I wore serious glasses from the age of 7 to 71.

Hope you get the same results

Neil
 Cateract Surgery - Kevin
>I was given a choice for the focal length of the implant. I chose to have the centre of focus at about 4 metres.

Don't you get the option of multifocal implants? Mrs K had hers done privately in 2009 (I just asked) and the difference in cost between fixed and multifocal lenses was only £1k. Made by an American Co. called ReSTOR.
She can see clearly at any distance now and the only downside is a bit of flaring in low light situations eg. oncoming headlights at a certain angle. You can see them in her eyes sometimes, they look like a spider's web.
 Cateract Surgery - smokie
Are we saying that the cataract operation can correct pre-existing short sightedness?

My optician said a month or so back that I have early signs of it.
 Cateract Surgery - Zero
Yes we are. they put a new lens in with corrective optical properties. Its more or less the norm now. (if you go private). Planning to have mine done.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Oct 23 at 16:06
 Cateract Surgery - Kevin
>Planning to have mine done.

I can give you the name of the guy who did Mrs K's implants at the Hampshire Clinic if you like.

10mins down the M3 from your gaff.
Last edited by: Kevin on Thu 26 Oct 23 at 17:19
 Cateract Surgery - Zero
I'll be in touch
 Cateract Surgery - Manatee
>> Are we saying that the cataract operation can correct pre-existing short sightedness?
>>
>> My optician said a month or so back that I have early signs of it.
>>

Absolutely yes.

Wife was very short sighted. She elected to continue with moderate short sight so she can do her craft stuff without glasses, but the default would have been to give her 'normal' sight with glasses needed for reading.

She has been really pleased with the result. She had an extended period off driving because she waited for the second eye to be done before getting new specs.
>> Are we saying that the cataract operation can correct pre-existing short sightedness?
>>
>> My optician said a month or so back that I have early signs of it.
>>

I had my cataract surgery on the NHS at Cobham (Surrey) Hospital. I was offered a choice of lenses, I went for the ones that would give me best distance vision. Luckily I couldn't see what the surgeon what doing, the eye drops made everything very blurry.

I use Poundland specs for reading.

One very satisfied customer.
 Cateract Surgery - Zero

>> see them in her eyes sometimes, they look like a spider's web.

She's an alien, you always suspected it.
 Cateract Surgery - Kevin
>She's an alien..

Officially documented by the US govt. as a "Resident Alien".
 Cateract Surgery - martin aston
You can’t swim for a few weeks. You’d expect the doctors to tell you that but they omitted to tell my mum when she had hers done in her 80s. Maybe they didn’t expect an old biddy to be a regular swimmer. Luckily she didn’t get any infections and only found out later she shouldn’t have been swimming.
 Cateract Surgery - Bobby
Hopefully Robin is now through it and was a success so feel able to now say that my dad got cataracts done on one eye, and then the other, and both were not “ a success” in that they couldn’t reattach a lens.
So both his eyes have no lenses in them but instead vision is corrected by his spectacles.

At 91 year old, and having had bad cataracts, this still gives him better eyesight than he had before.

But he had been told for probably over 10 years to think about the op and just kept delaying it. Until they said he would no longer be able to drive and that prompted him.

Yip, now still driving his automatic Nissan Note.
 Cateract Surgery - Ted

I had both eyes done some years ago by Prof. Paulo Stanga. I later got secondaies in both eyes and his waiting list was so long that we opted for him to do them privately....same team, private hospital. Cost about £1200. He invented the YAG laser, which they remove secondaries with. Nice guy, sadly let down by being a United supporter !

I'm back at the Royal Eye Hospital a week tomorrow in the evening....at least we will be able to park ! This is a follow up check after my nearside leg Angioplasty of nearly three weeks ago. I don't know how leg and eyes are connected but no doubt I'll find out.

Ted
 Cateract Surgery - smokie
I think the thighbone comes into it.
 Cateract Surgery - Ted

Ah....Dem bones, dem bones !

Ted
Well, all done now and despite a worry that the vision in that eye was completely blurred last night the improvement today has been remarkable. In fact the repaired right eye is now the stronger of the two.

Back behind the wheel this afternoon and apart from having to be careful for a week or two and a month messing around with drops all good.
 Cateract Surgery - Aretas
I have had both eyes done. Fantastic.
However, do not EVER get anything but clean water in your eyes. I once got some fluid in an eye (can't remember what) and the sight in that eye progressively disappeared. The fluid got under the lens. Once diagnosed, 30secs of laser treatment cured it.
Thanks Aretas, I'll keep that in mind.

Nine days left on these blasted drops, will I be glad to see the back of them,
 Cateract Surgery - BiggerBadderDave
'Nine days left on these blasted drops, will I be glad to see the back of them'

Don't leave them next to the superglue.
Latest Forum Posts