Non-motoring > Partner and WK1 Tax Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 8

Partner and WK1 Tax - Bromptonaut
Mrs B has been doing a couple of days a week as a Supply Teacher with a well known national agency for that work. They're applying Income Tax on a 'WK1' basis which means she's pating a bit of tax. If it were applied cumulatively she probably would not as her total earnings, bearing in mind holidays and weeks the can't work, will be less than her annual tax free allowance.

The tax code they're using 539T is correct, it's a specific figure taking account of the fact that she has other earnings - an occupational pension. Her payslip contains a message that she's on a temp code and that she needs to contact them. But when she does her contact, Megan, just parrots a message that the code is supplied by HMRC.

I suspect they're missing, or have not processed, her new starter form but because of the 'its up to HMRC' mantra nobody is actually pinging the agency's payroll.

Am I being unreasonable in being on the point of losing my rag with Megan?
 Partner and WK1 Tax - Kevin
It's Covid I'm afraid.

Only 40% of HMRC staff actually attend the office post pandemic.
 Partner and WK1 Tax - Falkirk Bairn
Granddaughter was in same hole - 20 hours per week as a Lifeguard and taxed on WK1 basis.
Phone line to HMRC was always engaged BUT finally got through and a Tax Code issued.

Complication was tax was in previous Financial Year when she finally got a code - HMRC supplied the rebate in some 3 weeks. Had it been the same financial year the employer would have refunded the money.

Last 2 months the employer got some payments wrong and she worked extra shifts before starting university - £600 tax taken - that will be rebated over the next few months as she earns around £9K.
A bit more reading suggests HMRC might be worth a call.

A job for me on Monday.
 Partner and WK1 Tax - smokie
I'm sure I spoke to them on a Sat evening some years back, as I remember being impressed 1) that anyone was there and 2) they were able to answer a reasonably complex question there and then. But no longer.

Their X helpline (formerly known as Twitter !) is open today till 8pm. "Start your tweet with @HMRCcustomers" www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees

Partner and WK1 Tax - bathtub tom
As an ex teacher with an occupational pension, doesn't that take her over the personal allowance?
>> As an ex teacher with an occupational pension, doesn't that take her over the personal
>> allowance?

No, it's about £7500pa.

She didn't work full time after the kids were born and failed to re-enrol into the pension when she could have done.
Blood and sand. These things come in pairs!!

As a result of a merger between local Citizens Advice in the area I've been TUPE transferred to the new organisation.

For all of the time I worked for the old lot, and briefly on an project with another CA my tax code has been BR. That's what it should be as my Personal Allowance is used against my Civil Service Pension.

New employer has paid me today using 1257L. That's generated a refund of my entire tax to date and a payment of £2646 rather than around £1300.

Hopefully payroll can sort it...
And it drags on.

Payroll corrected it so far as money to me for October is concerned and payed me the same sum I always get. However they seem not to have updated their return to HMRC as, when I view my account via the Gov Gateway it still shows me as having a tax refund in October.

As a consequence HMRC are now taking money back from my Civil Service Pension in respect of a (non existent) 'underpayment' - or rather over refund. Approx £300/month less in October.

I've now had my November payslip but while it shows the correct Year to Date amounts HMRC seems not to note them - possibly they're not even on the return.

I've sent a polite but firm email to the person at my employer who looks after payroll - the legwork is done by a contractor. I'm not waiting for it to come out in the wash next April.

I'm waiting for a reply.

Does anybody have any useful advice/experience?

TIA.
Latest Forum Posts