Non-motoring > Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 11

Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - VxFan
www.itv.com/news/meridian/2023-10-05/moment-man-blasts-police-officer-caught-throwing-bread-crusts-out-of-car

twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/status/1709532279553274140 (contains naught words)
 Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - zippy
Well it is an offence:

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/section/87

and a bit embarrassing that they say it's not - they are supposed to know the laws.

Also, the arrogance of them. Rather than picking it up, they go on about how it's not a crime etc.

Let alone not caring a jot about the neighbourhood he's littering.

If you or I did it, we could expect a fine - and he should be fined as well.
 Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - Fullchat
Cant we feed the birds now? :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 7 Oct 23 at 11:04
 Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - James Loveless
Feeding the birds by scattering scraps of bread or whatever on the ground in your garden is clearly not an offence.

In a public place it might not be so obvious. I suppose if there birds nearby and therefore a reasonable expectation that the scraps will be picked up quickly then there's no problem, but just dumping a heap of crusts on the ground in the hope that it will be eaten at some point might not be legal.
>> might not be legal.
>>

It's not.

Further, from the RSPB: "Bread does not contain the necessary protein and fat birds need from their diet, and so it can act as an empty filler. Although bread isn't harmful to birds, try not to offer it in large quantities, since its nutritional value is relatively low."

If in the road, it can encourage wildlife in to the road where they can be injured or killed by traffic.
 Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - tyrednemotional
>>
>> If in the road, it can encourage wildlife in to the road where they can
>> be injured or killed by traffic.
>>

...does that work with squirrels...?

(asking for a friend)
>> ...does that work with squirrels...?
>>

Don't let Mrs Z hear you say that - she loves the things!

They annoy me because they damage the bark of our eucalyptus tree in the back garden and the oaks and beeches in our wood.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 7 Oct 23 at 12:10
 Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - smokie
Talking of eucalyptus trees, did you know that "...a eucalyptus tree's lateral roots spread up to 100 feet outward, they are known to grow into ditches, plumbing pipes, and septic tanks, damaging, clogging, and cracking them. In fact, eucalyptus roots penetrating or lifting foundations is a common complaint when this species is planted too close to a home."

In fact, also:

Water – Eucalyptus trees have a terrible reputation as extensive water users and significant contributors to soil depletion. While they do need copious quantities of water, their colossal taproot can find moisture even in the most barren areas. This voracious appetite helps maintain their incredibly rapid growth.

Toxicity – Some homeowners place eucalyptus leaves around their homes for their aroma or will plant eucalyptus in their landscapes. However, eucalyptus plant foliage is toxic to animals and humans if ingested.

Toppling – Eucalyptus trees are prone to falling because of their shallow spreading roots that don’t do an efficient job of anchoring or steadying the tree in loose soil or when an external force places overwhelming pressure against the trunk and branches.

Exploding – Eucalyptus oil gives off flammable fumes, and these fumes can be ignited by lightning, flying sparks, and cinders, causing the tree to explode.

Fireballs – During brush or forest fires, the eucalyptus species releases great quantities of flammable gas that mix with air to produce fireballs full of sparks and embers exploding out in front of the fire.

Source: www.72tree.com/eucalyptus-tree-information-pros-cons/#:~:text=Since%20a%20eucalyptus%20tree's%20lateral,too%20close%20to%20a%20home.
>> Talking of eucalyptus trees, did you know that "...a eucalyptus tree's lateral roots spread up

I know, I know.

It's about 100 years old and if it falls it will take the back of our house off.

Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - Kevin
You can buy little packs of pellets to discourage squirrels.
 Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - tyrednemotional
...the ones that fit in air-rifles...?
 Copper gets grilled for discarding his sandwich - Kevin
Oh, I wouldn't recommend an air rifle. Too much risk of not getting a clean head shot which is the ony way with an air rifle to satisfy RSPCA requirements of not 'causing unnecessary suffering'.
It's better to use the little packs marked 20G or 12G I've been told by a bloke down the pub.
Latest Forum Posts