Non-motoring > Sycamore Gap Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 23

Sycamore Gap - CGNorwich
The news that some 16 year old idiot has sawn down that iconic tree is so depressing. Why just why?
 Sycamore Gap - Biggles
For 'likes'?
 Sycamore Gap - legacylad
It’s all over my FB outdoor friends pages. They’re spitting feathers.
Better not post what they’d like to do to the individual but it makes Tarantino look like a Mary Poppins film.
 Sycamore Gap - James Loveless
Whoever did it must have gone to a lot of trouble. A large and presumably noisy chainsaw must have been used and somehow brought to the site.

Of course this is an egregious example of vandalism. Do people do things like this because they want the notoriety? There cannot be a logical reason to wish the tree gone.

The awfulness of some people is appalling.
 Sycamore Gap - Terry
I have to confess that I was completely unaware of the sycamore tree or the importance that many seem to attach to it.

Being a rational and fairly objective soul I seriously question the media frenzy -perhaps it is to balance issues like Ukraine war, stabbing of 15 year old girl, getting Brexit to work, building more houses, death of Michael Gambon etc with some complete trivia.

BTW - I certainly don't condone the actions of the 16 year old vandal.
 Sycamore Gap - Rudedog
Seems Google have been pretty quick to now label it the 'Sycamore Stump'!
 Sycamore Gap - CGNorwich
Well if you don’t understand how people reacted to the felling of that tree then I think there is something missing in your soul. That tree was a thing of beauty exquisitely positioned in a unique landscape near a world heritage site. It was part of people’s memories, it was unique. It’s destruction was the destruction of our heritage

What angers people is not simply it’s loss, if it had been struck by lightning it would not have produced the same reaction, but the sheer mindlessness of the act. The knowledge that someone could casually do such a thing is depressing.

Sycamore Gap - Duncan
>> Well if you don’t understand how people reacted to the felling of that tree then
>> I think there is something missing in your soul. That tree was a thing of
>> beauty exquisitely positioned in a unique landscape near a world heritage site. It was part
>> of people’s memories, it was unique. It’s destruction was the destruction of our heritage

Robin Hood visited the tree and immediate area on his way from Dover to Nottingham.
 Sycamore Gap - Terry
The tree, I understand, is ~300 years old.

Robin Hood, based on the Sloane manuscripts held by the British Museum, was born about 800 years ago in ~1160.

It seems implausible that he visited the tree - unless (possibly) the sycamores grandpa, or he lived to the grand old age 600.
 Sycamore Gap - Dog
>>It seems implausible that he visited the tree - unless (possibly) the sycamores grandpa, or he lived to the grand old age 600.

Shem (son of Noah) lived to the grand old age of 600.

Sycamore Gap - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Robin Hood visited the tree and immediate area on his way from Dover to Nottingham.
>>

....sounds like he was using Google Maps (or possibly an Uber).....
 Sycamore Gap - zippy
>>stabbing of 15 year old girl...

I really feel for the poor family of this girl, they must feel totally broken and of course for the girl herself and of course all of the other victims to this senseless epidemic of knife crime.

I have no idea what the solution is and stop and search has its problems - perhaps knife arches at bus stops, schools, etc. and serious penalties for carrying knifes.
 Sycamore Gap - Manatee
Social media has a lot to answer for. People do this sort of thing now just to get reactions like those of LL's outdoor friends, and if it 'goes viral' then that's the ultimate success for them.
 Sycamore Gap - sooty123
You're right, probably a dare. If lots of 'old' people /fuddy duddies complain even better for them.
 Sycamore Gap - Robin O'Reliant
Special Branch are investigating.
 Sycamore Gap - Zero
It will just be logged.
 Sycamore Gap - Runfer D'Hills
One theory is that the culprits have fled to Ireland, police there say they are currently looking for tree fellers.
 Sycamore Gap - Bobby
Few folk I know say that tree ain’t been cut down by a mindless 16 year old vandal with a Lidl chainsaw……
 Sycamore Gap - Bromptonaut
>> Few folk I know say that tree ain’t been cut down by a mindless 16
>> year old vandal with a Lidl chainsaw……

Narrative in more than one press report says it was done with a well sharpened chainsaw and by somebody who knew what they were going.
 Sycamore Gap - CGNorwich
Looks like you may be right. A 60 year old man arrested. Perhaps even more depressing.
 Sycamore Gap - Robin O'Reliant
>> It will just be logged.
>>

They've promised to get to the root of it.
 Sycamore Gap - sooty123
Not impossible if the kid lived on a farm to be competent to cut a tree down.
 Sycamore Gap - smokie
I said the same to SWMBO - that Caleb from Clarkson Farm would have known how to do that.
 Sycamore Gap - Duncan
Must be someone with an axe to grind.

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/its-broken-proud-man-pensioner-27255346
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 1 Oct 23 at 06:54
Latest Forum Posts