Non-motoring > Doorbell Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 11

Doorbell - bathtub tom
We missed three callers yesterday, because they didn't press the (very loud) doorbell, but two of them sent texts saying "I'm outside". I don't carry my phone around with me, it's often in a different room to me (when I bother to switch it on).
The third caller sent a text saying "I called, but you were out" - we weren't. They eventually came back, rang the doorbell this time and told us they thought that because they couldn't see any lights, they assumed we were out. They further asked if we were asleep!

Is this a modern trend, I haven't come across it before?
 Doorbell - Zero
Would indicate that maybe your doorbell aint working every time.
 Doorbell - smokie
Yes that's a good possibility. Cos I'm a bit mutton I have loud repeaters round the house and it'd be difficult to not hear it unless you were dead (not a mistype).

Quite often I seem to miss a caller, and when I test it all seems to work. But my testing involves a forceful push on the button whereas I know that a weaker push doesn't trigger all the repeaters.
 Doorbell - bathtub tom
>> Would indicate that maybe your doorbell aint working every time.

I wondered that, but it's a new bell push and I can't make it not work (if you see what I mean).
 Doorbell - Bobby
I am guilty of texting people to say I have arrived or I am at their door……
 Doorbell - Ted

We have two doorbells. My son bought us a Ring with camera to our phones and I left the old chimes in place. Even with two bell pushes, a large proportion of people bang on the front door.

Ted
 Doorbell - Dog
I don't need a doorbell, my dog tells me whenever there's anybuddy about.

He even 'nose' when 3 dogs (as I call her) goes by, even though he can't actually see/hear them.
 Doorbell - Falkirk Bairn
A son lives in a quiet street but is busy with local school traffic so I mostly reverse into a space in front of his garages. Due to fencing/stout gate the dog cannot see out.

His dog appeared to know the sound of my car exhaust and got excited. I did not need to ring either of the bells (old / Blink) she was always behind the front door.

New CRV is in battery mode for slow speed parking - I now need to ring the bell!
 Doorbell - bathtub tom
We had a springer, she wasn't allowed on the furniture. Babysitters would report that as soon as we left the house she'd climb up on the settee and settle down. Around five minutes before we'd get home, she'd climb down into her basket.
 Doorbell - Manatee
>> Around five minutes before we'd get home

That's uncanny, but there are numerous stories of dogs who can detect their approaching owners from the next street. I'd love to know the explanation.

Do you think it's like the mice in HHGTTG? The dogs are really in charge and much more advanced than we are?
 Doorbell - neiltoo
When we were working, we had two cats, who were confined to a hall at the rear of the house, with a cat flap. When we were arriving home in the evening, they were waiting for us on the drive. We arrived at different time every day.
Uncanny.

8o)
 Doorbell - Ted

Must be a trait, Tubby. Our Springler wasn't allowed on furniture either.

Funny how there was always a warm armchair when we got home ! Lovely girl though !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts