Non-motoring > Truss Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 9

Truss - Bobby
I see she is getting a lot of coverage today.

I have never had an ounce of Tory leaning in me and doubt that I ever will have so am obviously biased.

But looking at the mess the country is in just now, what sort of thinking feels that reducing tax, thus reducing the money that goes towards police, health, judicial system, social care, education, potholes, environment agencies etc etc is a good thing?? What planet is she on?

I know Tories are the party of low taxation, which is good if you earn enough to not need state education, NHS etc but she must have a decent following that all agree on this outlook? Oh and no windfall taxes on the energy companies.

Is it simply that she is a mouthpiece for these think tanks that pay her well?

I just can’t get my head round it. The country is stuffed. The public sector needs funding all over to try and get back on its feet. And yes I know there is always some efficiencies to be made but come on, this is much bigger than that.
 Truss - Bobby
And I’ll think of a motor related reason soon !!
 Truss - sooty123
She, and others, firmly believe that best way to pay for things is to grow the economy, the best way to grow the economy is to lower taxes as much as is practical.
 Truss - Manatee
>> She, and others, firmly believe that best way to pay for things is to grow
>> the economy, the best way to grow the economy is to lower taxes as much
>> as is practical.

If you believed that, and had any human decency, you'd direct the money to the poorest people who will spend every penny. Not to your client donors who will hoard it and invest in more attractive markets elsewhere.

Truss has always reminded me of somebody but I couldn't bring to mind who. Then, a couple of weeks ago, rewatching Blackadder 2, I realised it was Queenie, as portrayed by Miranda Richardson. Have a look, think of "Pork markets!!!" and see if you agree.

She is as dim as a TOC H lamp, dishonest, narcissistic and nasty with it.

Great quote from Rory Stewart's new book -

"In 2015, the then environment secretary Liz Truss, for example, had asked me to produce a 10-point plan for the national parks within a week of my taking office, thus revealing that what pretended to be policy was simply a press release designed to give the illusion of dynamism."

www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/16/rory-stewart-tory-mp-decade-incompetent
 Truss - sooty123
I saw the link with, Rory and Stewart and incompetence in the same sentence. Sounds about right. Although like a stopped clock he's right about truss hand in glove with the press.

All the talk of the msm and press out to get her is garbage, she was one of the best sources of info for journalists, particularly the sun.

If for not being PM i doubt she would have had much of a clearance, even the few briefings she had were filtered to a certain extent I'm sure.
 Truss - bathtub tom
>> She is as dim as a TOC H lamp, dishonest, narcissistic and nasty with it.

ISTRC you quite fancied her as a PM?
 Truss - Manatee
>> >> She is as dim as a TOC H lamp, dishonest, narcissistic and nasty with
>> it.
>>
>> ISTRC you quite fancied her as a PM?
>>

I don't recall that!
 Truss - Terry
I can buy in to the proposition that reducing tax can benefit investment and growth. Growing the economy creates wealth and provides the opportunity to improve public services. However:

- there were far more intelligent ways to reduce taxes to encourage investment than proposed by Truss and Kwarteng
- she was truly incompetent in selling her ideas, perhaps under the illusion she was a Thatcher reborn. Hence a financial crisis.
- in her role as justice secretary she failed in her fundamental duty to protect the independence of the judiciary when Parliament was prorogued.

I could not remotely support the woman - an egotistical flawed disaster area!

Truss - Duncan

>> She is as dim as a TOC H lamp, dishonest, narcissistic and nasty with it.

Yes, but apart from that, is there anything you don't like about her?
 Truss - Zero

>> Yes, but apart from that, is there anything you don't like about her?

You have to admire her ability to apply spin. Or is she just delusional?
Latest Forum Posts