Non-motoring > Flooding in Libya Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 4

Flooding in Libya - CGNorwich
2,000 dead and 10,000 nissing in Libyan floods. It been a catastrophic summer in the Mediterranean.

edition.cnn.com/2023/09/11/africa/libya-flooding-storm-daniel-climate-intl/index.html
 Flooding in Libya - Terry
Sadly storms of this nature with high winds and rainfall occur a couple of times a year around the Mediterranean.

In Italy or Spain it may cause disruption and sometimes a few fatalities.

But Libya has a crumbling failing infrastructure - roads, dams, hospitals, emergency response are very degraded.

Since the Arab Spring and removal of Gaddafi encouraged by the west, per capita incomes have halved and the infrastructure damaged through internal strife, lack of funds and stable government. Perhaps we should take some responsibility for their current predicament.
 Flooding in Libya - zippy
My a*** of a brother is in Morocco. At first said it was great, never left the hotel as all inclusive and hotel was virtually empty.

He is now moaning that locals have take over the hotel and are sleeping in rooms, corridors and anywhere there's a space because it's one of the few safe buildings around.

The man has no soul.

Miss Z went to Morocco a few years ago and stayed in a hostel. Got friendly with locals and had and was invited to dinner with a couple of families and recounted cheering a trader when her French mucked up 4 for 40 oranges and the trader beamed so much that she let it go - still only a few quid and spent the day making friends with locals handing out oranges on the bus to the mountains.

She said it's one of the most welcoming countries she has ever visited.

So sad to see the earthquake devastation there and of course the floods in Libya.
 Flooding in Libya - tyrednemotional
...once had to eat a lot of croissants for breakfast when a climbing colleague, more "au fait" with Spanish than French confused seize with six. I quite like croissants, but ...

I found Morocco a very welcoming place 40 odd years aga, but the Berbers were considerably more hospitable than the Arab population (at least in my experience).
 Flooding in Libya - Bromptonaut
>> ...once had to eat a lot of croissants for breakfast when a climbing colleague, more
>> "au fait" with Spanish than French confused seize with six.

Nearly ended up with 40 stamps 'pour carte postale a Angleterre' like that. Fortunately the La Poste person looked at me and said quarante? rolling her eyes a mad dogs and Englishmen fashion
Latest Forum Posts