Non-motoring > Island Crossings BBC IPlayer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Island Crossings BBC IPlayer - Bobby
Been watching this series on BBC Scotland channel but also available on iPlayer.
One of these low budget , fly on the wall, documentary type programs all about the Calmac ferry fleet and how the whole logistics of the Scottish Island operate.

I know there are some on here like Brompt who are keen island visitors that might like to watch. Lots of interesting stuff on it about the reality of island life.
 Island Crossings BBC IPlayer - Bromptonaut
Thanks Bobby, lots to see there....

Week tomorrow we'll be on MV Hebrides bound for Tarbert in our hired campervan...
You hope……..

Very jealous!

I still intend to cycle The Hebridean Way. Will need to be sooner rather than later.
Logistics is a bit of a nightmare though, trying to get bike and me home from Ullapool.
Last edited by: Bobby on Mon 11 Sep 23 at 21:18
>> I still intend to cycle The Hebridean Way.

Presume you're not going too far off the road - some bits on S. Harris are bloomin hard work on foot!!

>> Logistics is a bit of a nightmare though, trying to get bike and me home
>> from Ullapool.

Bromptons make surprisingly good tourers :-P
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 11 Sep 23 at 21:59
 Island Crossings BBC IPlayer - Biggles
Or just prebook your bike on the bus to Inverness.
Night at Ullapool Youth Hostel and ride to Inverness??
 Island Crossings BBC IPlayer - Biggles
>> Night at Ullapool Youth Hostel and ride to Inverness??

Via Durness.
Thought the Hebridean Way was suitable for bikes the whole way? Plenty articles I have seen and always show photos of road bikes doing it?

I mind when we were there in 2015, met a father and daughter doing the cycle from North to South and they said they regretted the decision due to the prevailing winds. South to North is the way to do it apparently.

I can get train to Oban with bike easy enough. Must look into the bus to Inverness possibility.
Mmm
£17 for me from Motherwell to Oban by train
£17 from Ullapool to Inverness by bus
£25 from Inverness to Motherwell by train.

All this on a random date in October.

Food for thought for next year. Problem of course is Scottish weather. It’s the sort of trip you would want to do when you hear the weather is to be good the following week and you just pack up and go.
Booking early enough to get decent train prices I bet would result in a week of wind and rain and misery!
>> Thought the Hebridean Way was suitable for bikes the whole way? Plenty articles I have
>> seen and always show photos of road bikes doing it?

Sorry, bit more checking with Mr Google tells me that the bike route and the walking route are two different things.

Having done Stornoway to Tarbert and vv, the latter as part of a longer tour, I'd agree that south to north is usually better...
 Island Crossings BBC IPlayer - legacylad
Most, but not all, trails in the UK are recommended South to North….Pennine Way, Offas Dyke, Cape Wrath trail, Pembrokeshire Coast Path.
And of course Lands End to Jock oGroats
Latest Forum Posts