Non-motoring > A bit of woodworm Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 20

A bit of woodworm - smokie
I was up in the loft a while back and noticed one of rafters has had some woodworm. I got some spray stuff and sprayed it liberally and regularly.

It isn't riddled it it but there's a fair few holes. None of the surrounding wood appears affected. The rafter is one of two pieces of wood presumably holding up the roof.

I'm feeling I should get something done about it. Treated and replaced I suppose. I'm not feeling like spending a fortune on it if I can help it.

What would you do?
 A bit of woodworm - sooty123
If it were me I'd get a rough idea off the internet and then get a roofer* in to have a look.

*one you know or know of to be good.
 A bit of woodworm - sherlock47
If it does not look like it is compromising the strength and has not spread beyond one piece of wood, just pile up the boxes in front of it so when you come to sell the 15seconds inspection of the loft area raises no concerns.

Look for 'live' new dust after you have vacuumed.
Ha great plan but no plans to sell...

I'd already cleared any dust there was, and I don't think there is any new. However the holes look fairly recent (fresh wood).

I've been reading up on it and another useful tip is to put some plain paper under the affected area and look for new dust.

I've also bought a well recommended product to paint on. www.permagard.co.uk/woodworm-killer-ready-to-use-5-litres which is rather more than I need at the moment but so be it.
 A bit of woodworm - Lygonos
Don't the nettles live for few years inside the wood before the emerge, creating the 'flight' holes?

I'd saturate the affected piece and those within a few feet with your stuff to be safe.
 A bit of woodworm - legacylad
If reasonable head space in the loft, then as mentioned, I’d spend a few wet hours listening to the radio and treat all accessible timbers just for peace of mind.
Both of the above are in progress. I found a few good recommendations for www.permagard.co.uk/woodworm-killer-ready-to-use-5-litres so I've ordered it. 5 litres will give me oodles to splosh around as the affected are is only about a metre by about 120 at most.
 A bit of woodworm - MD
Stay well away from the stuff. I use to do it professionally. It's not nice. If you must keep plenty of fresh air circulating and keep it off of your skin. Unless there's loads of frass (fresh dust) I'd just monitor it.
 A bit of woodworm - CGNorwich
Effective ingedient is pyrethroid which can, as MD says, be quite nasty especially if inhaled in significant amounts

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid
 A bit of woodworm - MD
I met a guy once who sprayed lofts. It was summer. He was up there sweating like a pig in god knows what temperature. What do you think he was wearing?
Virtual pint of London Pride for the correct answer. Hint: Not many words.
 A bit of woodworm - Kevin
Mink skivvies.
 A bit of woodworm - sooty123
Mankini?
 A bit of woodworm - Runfer D'Hills
I’m not entirely sure I want to think about this. :-(
 A bit of woodworm - Bromptonaut
Nowt.
 A bit of woodworm - legacylad
Butt plug
 A bit of woodworm - tyrednemotional
...a onesie...
 A bit of woodworm - Runfer D'Hills
I mean, it “could” be a coincidence, but has anyone else noticed that it’s all the Yorkshiremen that are coming up with all the weird stuff?
Just saying…

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 24 Aug 23 at 21:47
 A bit of woodworm - tyrednemotional
.. it's only 'cos the outsiders are clueless...

(And LL apparently wants to know what's weird about a butt-plug? (I think that must be a N or W Yorkshire thing))
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 24 Aug 23 at 21:58
 A bit of woodworm - MD
Just a pair of shorts. He died. I’ll keep the beer.

Avoid spraying in a confined space or anywhere for that matter unless you’re upwind.
As it's only a small area I'm just brushing it.

Thanks for the warnings though.
 A bit of woodworm - Dog
Back in the day, I had the whole underfloor area of my 1950's bungalow sprayed with Permethrin.

I got a Jehovah's Witness fellow to do the job but he turned up with a useful idiot to do the spraying.

Praise the Lord indeed.
Latest Forum Posts