Non-motoring > Bathroom refit - new loo Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 31

Bathroom refit - new loo - smokie
I'm just planning the new bathroom. We're getting rid of he bath in favour of a walk-in shower - but aren't going to the wet room extreme. It's a fairly small room with limited options. We're getting an Aqualisa Optic Q smart shower for control from the internet, so she can start it without putting her arm into cold water :-).

Anyway...

The plumber suggested we look at a "comfort height" loo - it is not a requirement now but do the panel think it'd be a Good Thing to do?

And Mr Gadget here has been looking at Japanese "shower toilets" (aka bidet toilets), does anyone have any experience or views, positive or negative? Or recommendations for brands etc.

I'm wondering if the extra expense of either might pay off as I get older.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Robin O'Reliant
Comfort height loo definitely, I'll leave the shower toilet advice to those with "Problems".
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Bromptonaut
What is a bidet toilet?

Link?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 12 Aug 23 at 20:56
Here's one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3CVnJihLRs

Paperless office :-)

Here's some more.

www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/toilets/japanese-toilets?gclid=CjwKCAjw29ymBhAKEiwAHJbJ8hC5NxML-7wlKhH0Kpjovtl3ZLzDe3ebYY_PwCIHthRmDKDfi3C8vxoCWr4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Kevin
The hotels I've used in Japan have all had those loos. The one in my room in Makuhari had more damn buttons than my TV remote, including temps for water and blow dry.
I couldn't work out what some of the icons on the buttons actually meant so I left well alone in case they did something I'd regret.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - car4play
Come on Geoff, you know you really want this one ;-)

www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/grohe-sensia-arena-wall-hung-shower-toilet-39354sh0?categoryId=a8426e03-05c7-4dc7-b324-892939ad14a1-297E:en-GB
Might have been on my list :-)

Actually wall hung doesn't appeal. Nor does that price tag!!
 Bathroom refit - new loo - James Loveless
And what is "comfort height"?

Despite my advancing years I can't work out whether a bit higher, or a bit lower constitutes more comfort! A loo is a loo, as far as I can see.
They are higher. Not really looked at either that much yet.

On the one hand I hope that I never find either essential. OTOH maybe while I'm doing it I should consider them. I was just wondering what people thought.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 12 Aug 23 at 21:44
 Bathroom refit - new loo - tyrednemotional
>> I was just wondering what people thought.
>>

..I can't speak for anyone else, but I think you're being more than a little bit anal.....
 Bathroom refit - new loo - legacylad
No need to be arsy about it :-)
 Bathroom refit - new loo - bathtub tom
>> They are higher. Not really looked at either that much yet.
>> On the one hand I hope that I never find either essential. OTOH maybe while
>> I'm doing it I should consider them. I was just wondering what people thought.

Wish I'd gone for one when I had the en-suite re-fitted. The old knees protest when I get up from the throne.
>> Comfort height loo definitely, I'll leave the shower toilet advice to those with "Problems".

If you're having a refit and are well past your youth height of the loo is worth thinking about.

Doing benefits advice for Personal Independence Payment I speak to an awful lot of people who, smitten down with a long term health condition, find getting on and off the throne a struggle and need physical support. Might be actual handles or just supporting themselves on a cupboard but it's a real struggle for some.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Manatee
>>an awful lot of people who, smitten down with a long term health condition, find getting on and off the throne a struggle

I suppose some of us are at the age where we should consider this and even discuss it...

I think I must have made a schoolboy error when I calculated the fixing points for two wall hung ones in our build. They were going to be lowish anyway based on the height from floor in the installation instructions, but they looked a bit low and indeed are 20mm lower when I measured them. I think I must have forgotten the thickness of the ditra mat, glue and floor tiles that one necessarily stands on.

However it's an ill wind. My wife says the 'squat' is the evolved position for evacuation. So I got a sort of commendation. For now.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - CGNorwich
I guess if you plan to stay in the house iit probably make sense. If you intend to sell house sometime they can make it look a bit “old people’s home”
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Runfer D'Hills
If I ever get to the point where I can’t get off the bog, then I think I’ll just stay there like Elvis.
;-)
 Bathroom refit - new loo - martin aston
Depending on what loo you are fitting initially, subsequent change out to a different height may or may not be a problem. Discuss with your plumber to see if he can design the pipe work, cistern etc to allow for a simple later change without major work. Keep a few tiles spare if they might be needed for future changes.
We had our cloakroom refitted last year and the plumber chipped the loo pan right at the end of the work. He whipped it out and stuck in a replacement in about an hour. Obviously it’s like for like with no height change but it shows what can be done.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - bathtub tom
>> I guess if you plan to stay in the house iit probably make sense. If
>> you intend to sell house sometime they can make it look a bit “old people’s
>> home”

When we were looking for a bungalow, a large proportion were "dead man's shoes". No upward chain, wet room and grab handles. This one had bannister rails all along the hallway and a fitted seat in the en-suite shower.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Crankcase

>> We're getting an Aqualisa Optic Q smart shower for control
>> from the internet, so she can start it without putting her arm into cold water

Lawks. Our ordinary shower has a pull cord to cut the power in the corner of the bathroom. Turn on shower, nothing happens, go to corner of bathroom, pull cord, power turned on. No bits need to go into cold water.

I’ve never known any other system, but then this house was built in 1825 and the shower probably went in a year later.

A modern electrician would probably have a fit of the vapours and conniptions simultaneously.
Haha, pulling cords - what could go wrong with "Hey Google start the shower with smokie's profile" apart from the internet down - but what do we do when we have visitors?

(I guess they get a wet arm pushing the button!!)

I don't really want the place too over thought or overequipped (or old-age) just yet. I didn't realise swapping out the loo at a later stage might be that easy, maybe that's the way to go for the comfort height - if I don't want the additional bum washing facilities - and even for that maybe have him install the pipework and electrics.

Also I'm getting (at last) an extractor fan, which I'm thinking of controlling via a humidity sensor on my Home Assistant (as well as conventional means if poss). I already have the necessary automation sensors and switches for that.

I suppose if I'm having a bit of tech in the bathroom I could think about a microphone/speaker (wall mounted Google mini or something) to give commands to, and play music or radio while in the bathroom. Have to think about whether it is necessary (maybe take an opinion from SWMBO, though I know what the answer will be!!) and if so how to keep it dry (and me safe from electrocution!).
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Biggles
Alternatively, get a fan with a built in humidity detector. There may even be ones with a built in smell detector for the lady of the house.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Terry
Why rely upon the internet and fancy digitally controlled valves.

Alternative is to plumb conventional shower mixer controls outside the shower cubicle, with the outlet inside (obviously).

As a secondary measure you could connect a temperature sensor - although normally once the temperature on a thermostatic shower is set there is little routine need to change it.
We've had an Aqualise Quartz for years which controls the temp very well (no hot flushes if someone turns on the water elsewhere) and it's been pretty good. So this is really just a replacement, not that much of an upgrade.
Is this a spoof post ? All this technology in a bathroom…all I require is a loo that flushes, doesn’t constantly fill up, a lukewarm shower and a bar of soap.
If you want to raise the height of the loo later then get one of those contraptions I had post hip op. Or glue a rubber ring to the existing seat.
And get the missus to occasionally inflate it…
I thought you'd be happy with just a hole in the ground :-)
 Bathroom refit - new loo - tyrednemotional
...he occasionally has visitors...
I have two bright orange plastic trenching tools…backpacking the Tahoe Rim Trail a few years ago, digging a suitably deep hole for morning ablutions was no mean feat I can assure you.

An end of season 15 day rafting trip down the Grand Canyon ( to celebrate my 60th) we pooped in something called a ‘groover’ and packed it all out with us. You peed in the Colorado to minimise one’s environmental impact…travelled with an amazing company called OARS who took bathroom facilities to a new level. Highly recommended should you ever feel the need for a different’ kind of holiday.
I'm sure it's a lovely view, and beats Radio 4 when taking a dump, but no thanks!! :-)

canyonsinc.com/river-toilet-poop-groover/
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 13 Aug 23 at 13:59
You acclimatise. When ‘occupied’ you raise a flag so you’re not surprised when your pants are round the ankles. Darned good sites for a lengthy contemplation of the meaning of life, and getting your sheet in perspective.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - Aretas
You can buy seat raises for a normal toilet. They are portable and we take ours whenever we visit our family.
 Bathroom refit - new loo - CGNorwich
What a depressing prospect.
>> I'm sure it's a lovely view, and beats Radio 4 when taking a dump, but
>> no thanks!! :-)
>>
>> canyonsinc.com/river-toilet-poop-groover/

Mrs B's uncle bought a semi derelict house in mid Wales for a few hundred quid in the sixties. Outside loo, possibly a chemical job, had a fantastic view down the Tanat valley. Leaving the door open for a number 2 was de riguer.
Latest Forum Posts