Non-motoring > Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 40

Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - RattleandSmoke
After weeks of Phones4U pestering me to upgrade my phone I politely told them to stop phoning me and remove me from their list. Which they did in the end.

Phoned my operator to cancel my contract as its costing me £35 a month for 300 minutes, 500mb internet and god knows how many texts.

I said I can now only afford to spend £20 a month and was looking at sim only options. He then tried to sell me a 12 month sim only contract which I said I didn't want to be tied into a contract in case my Nokia N97 broke.

They then offered me for £22.50 a month a Samsung Galaxy S, 600 minutes, 500MB internet and 3000 texts messages for an 18 month contract. This works out at £405 in total, the phone costs £380 to buy.

The moral of the story don't go to a shop directly when your contract is expiring, phone them up, say nothing, request a PAC code and you might get lucky.

I didn't even haggle really, I just kept telling the options he gave me were no use for x reason.

Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - R.P.
hanks Rattle - 11th October is O2 Day.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - BobbyG
Whats your thoughts Pug? I am also with O2, beginning of Dec is renewal time, think you can do it one month ahead.

Seriously thinking of iphone (but part of me doesn't want one as everyone else seems to have one), have always had Nokias, like them, and see they are bringing out a new Nokia x8 or N8 which may interest me.

Keep us informed.......

[How do you know someone has an iphone - easy, they keep telling you]
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - swiss tony
>> How do you know someone has an iphone 4? - easy, they keep holding a licked finger in the air, trying to get a signal!
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - sherlock47
Last year O2 offered me 75 mins a month (no other extras) for NOTHING for a 12mnth contract!

I paid about £120 upfront that was refunded on the next bill.
I wonder if they gambeled on the fact you would go over the limit?
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - sherlock47
>> I wonder if they gambled on the fact you would go over the limit?
>>

Not over the minutes, but the odd foreign received abroad call and odd non same network mobile numbers. Rarely gets to £5 per month on DD, they had my history for the last 12 years or so. I generally use a second French SIM/phone when abroad.
Last edited by: pmh on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 20:18
Long story with mine my first Blackberry broke (dodgy letter "T" crucial if your password has a t in it) at a very crucial time for me - they took the phone back and gave me a new one - three months later they gave me a £180.00 back if I extended for 6 months - which I did...so we arrive at month 17 on 11th when I get a free month in effect. I will phone them, been with them man and Scrooge for 8 years now - Vodafone's iPhone deal is 20.00 cheaper - so I decided to go the same route as Rattle - time will tell.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Perky Penguin
"They then offered me for £22.50 a month" Are we allowed to know who they are S&R? Wouldn't be naming and shaming and might be helpful, to me at least! I don't mind changing networks but I want to keep my number natch! Does PU's reply tell me that it is O2????
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 18:34
I'm with O2 - (Spanish owned I believe).
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Tooslow
It's been said in here before but.... Asda PAYG.

John
Not sure if I am supposed to say who they are not :) E.g they may not be happy me discussing their deal on a forum when its nearly half price.

I think the above works for all operators though. The phone shops always tend phone you and get you in for an upgrade, what they actually do is sign you up to a brand new contract.

I wasn't even trying to haggle, just simply told them I cannot afford the £35+ each month anymore. Not only is it now cheaper I get twice the minutes meaning I will never go over.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Perky Penguin
Well couldn't you do it in code? The air that we breathe - a fruit from Israel - something a bit like Yoda from Star Wars etc!
Well its the only remaining British operator if that helps, and it was founded in the UK :). Its also been around since yuppies and the BMW 700 series.
Fine if you're a light user, not so much when you're sending emails on a train or using it as a landline.

I have to be connected to the internet all the time :). In fact the only time I not online is when I am working or driving. Even in the pub I am facebooking away!.
oh no! Rats, I was sat in a restaurant a few weeks ago, talking to my wife while we waited for the meal to arrive. The couple at the next table were ignoring each other and texting or whatever away on their posh phones. Life is in front of you, not down a wire.

John
It depends on the context its used. I am not sat all night on my phone but if a certain conversation comes up I need to check Facebook to see the progress. I might be talking about somebody wondering what they are really upto, a quick check of facebook reveals all.

Its the modern social media world we live, I tried very very hard not to be sucked in but once you are its difficult to ever live a normal life again.

Social media is the new world wide web as I much as I hate it.

Its only rude when other people are excluded from it. E.g having a text conversation or a phone call while in a pub with others is plain rude.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Runfer D'Hills
I was once dining with a colleage in a restaurant. When he took his third phone call at the table I quietly got up, left, went back to my hotel and left him to finish his meal alone. Oh and he had to pay the bill. Taking calls in restaurants is just rudeness in my view.
I agree with you and I never do, ok I've once or twice answered a business call but they only take less than one minute.

What I was refering to is using Facebook in the inclusion of others in the table, to find out who else is going to the a club etc.
I think I may have passed through into an alien dimension. I'll shut up and look for the exit ;-)

John
A yeah ago it was alien to me too!
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Iffy
...When he took his third phone call at the table I quietly got up, left, went back to my hotel and left him to finish his meal alone...

Well done, Humph.

I have a friend/contact who answers his phone in mid-conversation during a meal.

In other respects he is more polite and well-mannered than most people.

The mobile answering for him is more of bad habit, like picking your nose or saying 'y'know' at the end of every sentence.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Fursty Ferret
Last time I tried this with Orange, I think I got someone on their last day. Was actually quite pleased with the contract I was on, but wanted to push for a new phone and better deal. Quite a short conversation, really...

"Hi. My contract is up at the end of the month and I'd like to give you the 30 days notice to cancel it, please."

"Certainly, Sir. Your service will end on the 31st and your PAC code is on the post. Have a nice day."

"Ah."
Same thing happened with Directline, they asked what my cheapest quote was I told them. They asked me to hold the line and they then said thats now canceled sir.

So I neesd to switch now :).

I guess my operator realises even after a big discount they can still make more money from me as a happy customer than an unhappy one.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - VxFan
I'm on O2's monthly simplicity plan. £20 gets me 1000 txts, 10 hrs of calls and free O2 to O2 calls that don't touch the 10 hrs of calls.

I'd love an I-Phone but can't justify the expense.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - MD
Orange. 2 Yr Contract. 2 phones. 750 mins. 500 texts. Some data I think 4MB, but could be GB. Lord I don't know. £34.?? + vat. Any good?

MD
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Mark
Galaxy S is a good option only probably beaten by Nokia N8 if you can get one.

as always

Mark
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Pat
All restaurants should make a rule that phones are switched off and left at the door.

Pat
Does that include greasy spoon cafés as well?
Yes, it does VX.

If I can leave my phone in the cab while I eat then I don't see why everyone else can't do it to.

It's my pet hate, and a sign of how the world has become dependent on modern technology.

We're now all expected to be available 24 hours a day.

Pat
Trouble is Pat, a mobile phone is more than 'just' a phone these days. The phone part of it seems to be secondary to all the other features it's got.
I sat in our workshop last Friday for lunchbreak with the fitters and out of six of them, four were on facebook and the other one could actually still hold a conversation in person.

If life can't pause for a meal without phone, text or social networking then people shoud stay out of restaurants, I'm afraid.

Leave them to us who enjoy the experience of good food!

Pat
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Duncan
>> I sat in our workshop ..... with the fitters and out of
>> six of them, four were on facebook and the other one could actually still hold
>> a conversation in person.
>>>>

Doesn't that make five? What was number six doing? Or is there something I don't understand (very likely)?
He was dealing with a breakdown on the phone!

Pat
He works for Samaritans?

John
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - AnotherJohnH
Holding the horses..
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Old Navy
>> I sat in our workshop last Friday for lunchbreak
>>
>> Pat
>>

New canteen not up an running yet?
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - Bellboy
We're now all expected to be available 24 hours a day.
>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>just ignore it if you dont want to answer it
i certainly do especially when the little hand gets to 7.00pm on a night
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - -
Orange, 750 i think any network calls, free to all landline calls, free calls to specified orange mobile's, some free texts which i don't use, free home broadband, £30 a month.

Due for renewal anytime now, any suggestions what i might ask for this time, not interested in mobile internet and i want a phone not a gameboy.

I leave the phone in the truck at break times too, and i ignore the ringing of it (stuffed in me pocket) till i can take a call properly.

One thing really gets me is when people gab on the phone whilst someone is serving them ie at supermarket checkout, they totally ignore the checkout operator treating them IMO as below acknowledgement....a good slap with a wet fish would be a start.
 Contract phone expiring? Don't go to a shop. - rtj70
I assume you will like the samsung galaxy s as much as I do.i might write some red of functions and t ahepps I rate when I get back home.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 9 Oct 10 at 13:11
I am actually looking forward to doing some Android development. Never really got into producing apps for Symbian but I want to create a few very simple apps for it.

The spec excites me quite a bit, 1GHZ and 512MB DDR RAM pretty amazing for a phone, it has a graphics chip too. My Nokia N97 Mini I currently have only has 128MB RAM which is a major let down.

The best thing about this phone will be how much its saving me, the downside is they won't offer me the same deal in 18 months time as I will have nothing to barter them with.
Latest Forum Posts