Non-motoring > Oppenheimer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 68

Oppenheimer - Fullchat
Just been to see the film and highly recommended.
3 hours so make yourself comfy.
Cillian Murphy plays J. Robert Oppenheimer, the “father of the atomic bomb.”
Insight into the team that were brought together and development of the bomb. This is interspersed with friction within inside and outside the team coupled with political interference.
Very poignant ending considering where we find ourselves in the current word situation.
 Oppenheimer - Zero
Dont spoil it by giving away the plot or ending......
 Oppenheimer - Robin O'Reliant
>> Dont spoil it by giving away the plot or ending......
>>

It ends with a bang.
 Oppenheimer - R.P.
Plan on seeing it next week. Looks like a great film from the trailers I saw last week
 Oppenheimer - Manatee
>> Dont spoil it by giving away the plot or ending......
>>

That's why I have never seen Titanic.
 Oppenheimer - Timeonmyhands
Or JFK.
 Oppenheimer - tyrednemotional
...yeah, but that's still a "whodunnit" isn't it?....
 Oppenheimer - bathtub tom
John Peel was the man on the grassy mound.
 Oppenheimer - Zero
Apollo 13 wasn't quite the cliff hanger it could have been either.
 Oppenheimer - zippy
>> Apollo 13 wasn't quite the cliff hanger it could have been either.
>>

Credit where credit is due, the director did a good job of keeping it suspenseful, even when you know the outcome.
 Oppenheimer - legacylad
>> John Peel was the man on the grassy mound.
>>
?
Obviously not the copper or DJ…I’ll have to google that.
>> Obviously not the copper or DJ…I’ll have to google that.

The late DJ. IIRC he may have been married to a very young girl at the time (Texas law).
Wiki: While residing in Dallas, Texas, in 1965, aged 25, Peel married Shirley Anne Milburn, aged 15
 Oppenheimer - Bromptonaut
>> Wiki: While residing in Dallas, Texas, in 1965, aged 25, Peel married Shirley Anne Milburn,
>> aged 15

Extract from Wiki:

While residing in Dallas, Texas, in 1965, aged 25, Peel married Shirley Anne Milburn, aged 15. The marriage was never happy, with reports that Milburn was often violent towards Peel. Although she accompanied Peel back to Britain in 1967, they were soon separated. The divorce became final in 1973. Milburn later took her own life.

Not the first article I've seen that suggests it was his second wife who, as it were, brought him down to earth.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 23 Jul 23 at 10:33
 Oppenheimer - legacylad
I never knew JP ( the DJ) lived overseas.

I find marrying such a young girl very creepy, given that he wasn’t brought up in such a culture.
Yuk.
 Oppenheimer - Duncan
>> John Peel was the man on the grassy mound.
>>

Otherwise, why would he change his voice/accent?
 Oppenheimer - Bobby
If I remember rightly, JFK was so long it had an interval in it?
 Oppenheimer - Manatee
Coincidentally, I read this post just after watching Storyville: The Trails of Oppenheimer on iPlayer. Quite interesting.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lpk70/storyville-the-trials-of-oppenheimer

Oppenheimer - VxFan
Read about this film in a tabloid paper at the weekend.
There were requests of having a "toilet break" interval for those older people who might not be able to control their bladder for 3 hours and miss part of the film while being excused.
 Oppenheimer - Dog
I haven't bin to a 'picture owse' in decades, but back then there was always an interval where one would buy their chock ice & kia ora.

:o}
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
I can remember going to the cinema in the days of continuous performances. As a child we used to meet my Dad at the cinema after work. We would often arrive in the middle of the film and then stay on to watch the first half.
>> I can remember going to the cinema in the days of continuous performances. As a
>> child we used to meet my Dad at the cinema after work. We would often
>> arrive in the middle of the film and then stay on to watch the first
>> half.

Blimey. Continuous performance with a footnote as to the time the last started I'd forgotten that.

Now it's mentioned I recall a few trips with parents where we came in while the film was running and left when we realised we'd seen this bit already.

Still a thing when I started work in London c1978/9. Watched one of the Pink Panther films where I walked in just as a Pidgeon lands on the hat of a senior person, possibly the President of Fence.

Left when I saw it land again...
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
It’s where the phrase “this is where we came in “ comes from.
...and "Déjà vu" ...
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
>> ...and "Déjà vu" ...
>>

That doesn't work - It would have to be "reste a voir" wouldn't it?
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
There have been some good films around lately in the last month or so. Enjoyed Chevalier and the Indiana Jones movie. Hope to see the latest Mission Impossible film this week. I guess Oppenheimer will be around for a while so will definitely make an effort to see it. Might even see the Barbie film!
 Oppenheimer - Boxsterboy
Saw this last night at Guildford Odeon - premium seat £7 for 3 hour film was good value in my book and the cinema was sold out. Good film.
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
Saw the Mission Impossible film. Non stop action from end to end. You can’t fail to be entertained. The train action was amazing. Far superior to the latest Bond films.
 Oppenheimer - Bobby
I like Bond films. In fact they are pretty much the only time I go to the cinema though did go to Oppenheimer this afternoon. Slow burner and I didn’t think the sound quality was great ie I struggled with some of the accents and words especially when music playing in background.

Re Mission Impossible, have never seen any. Would I be able to watch the latest one or is there a story that runs through them all?
 Oppenheimer - legacylad
Somehow the OMD Classic ‘Enola Gay’ appeared on my timeline
It will still sound as good a few decades down the line...
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
No need to have watched any of the previous films or indeed thd TV series on which they are based. The latest film is actually part one of two parts with the second part apparently due to be filmed late this year.

If you like Bond films set in exotic places with crazy car chases, plans for world domination, evil villans. crashing trains amazing stunts and beautiful women you are going to love this film.
 Oppenheimer - legacylad
Apart from ‘Rain Man’ I’ve seen no other films featuring Tom Cruise.
I’ll make an effort to see the latest Mission Impossible..not having seen any of the previous.

If I want to see crazy car chases I’ll watch one of the TV police series filmed in Bradford :-)
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 28 Jul 23 at 22:53
 Oppenheimer - Bobby
A Few Good Men with Cruise and Nicholson is a great film.
 Oppenheimer - Zero

>> If you like Bond films set in exotic places with crazy car chases, plans for
>> world domination, evil villans. crashing trains amazing stunts and beautiful women you are going to
>> love this film.

Hmmm, Daniel Craig vs Tom Cruise?
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
What did you think of the film though? I assume you gave seen it.
>>
>> Re Mission Impossible, have never seen any. Would I be able to watch the latest
>> one or is there a story that runs through them all?
>>

...I think much of the back-catalogue is available to stream (free) on Channel4 catchup, but only a few days remaining.
 Oppenheimer - Bobby
Since I havent watched them over the years they have been out, the chances of me watching them in a few days is zilch.

Missus currently watching Maverick on the firestick - all the MI are probably on there as well.
 Oppenheimer - Bobby
>> ie I struggled with some of the accents and words especially when music playing in background.

What do others who have seen Oppenheimer feel about the siound quality. I have a hearing aid (that I rarely wear) as like most hard of hearing folk, I believe that I am not deaf! And between wearing headphones on work Team calls and meetings, and wearing airpods when exercising / relaxing, I rarely wear my hearing aid. Of course this means that its not very effective as brain doesnt get tuned in to it.

But I felt some accents were hard to make out and some scenes had very loud atmospheric music playing ( like during the hearing) and I struggled to decipher exactly what was being said.

Should I admit defeat and accept I am hard of hearing?
 Oppenheimer - legacylad
Napoleon..

I keep getting links to trailers. It isn’t released until late November, but one I’ll definitely watch.
 Oppenheimer - Zero
>> >> ie I struggled with some of the accents and words especially when music playing
>> in background.
>>
>> What do others who have seen Oppenheimer feel about the siound quality.

Just seen it. The soundtrack, technically and dramatically, was poor. The dialogue was often muffled, the dramatic music was far far too strident and loud, louder in fact than the thing you needed to be loud, the big bang. We were all deaf by the time that came along.

gripping story tho.
 Oppenheimer - Bobby
cheers Zero, thats reasuring to hear (pardon the pun)
 Oppenheimer - Zero
Christopher Nolans (director) sound mixing always has complaints, this one is better than most apparently.

Surprised to read there was no CGI in the film, the cinematography was gorgeous.
 Oppenheimer - Manatee
Keen to see it. I'll make sure the subtitles are on.

Now that I am the same age as old people, the world feels very ageist. Anybody tried reading the cooking instructions on a ready meal recently?
>> Now that I am the same age as old people, the world feels very ageist.
>> Anybody tried reading the cooking instructions on a ready meal recently?

No but trying to fathom the care instructions for potential cookware purchases - ie can we put it in the dishwasher - is a similar struggle.

Multiple languages and about 5 point text.
 Oppenheimer - Zero

>> Multiple languages and about 5 point text.

in a pale yellow on busy background
>>
>> Anybody tried reading the cooking instructions on a ready meal recently?
>>

...isn't it all "5 minutes in the microwave on high"....
 Oppenheimer - Manatee
>>...isn't it all "5 minutes in the microwave on high"...

You could vulcanize a Tesco individual treacle pudding in half that time. 5 minutes should see it fused with the plastic bowl:)

I found I needed a pair of scissors to open the packaging on a pair of scissors and as for batteries!
 Oppenheimer - Boxsterboy
>> Just seen it. The soundtrack, technically and dramatically, was poor. The dialogue was often muffled,
>> the dramatic music was far far too strident and loud, louder in fact than the
>> thing you needed to be loud, the big bang. We were all deaf by the
>> time that came along.
>>

Agree, and the same complaint can be levelled at many modern films. Not quite sure why they can’t speak a little more clearly.

I find it hard to believe there was no CGI - the depiction of Oppie’s brain at work, the V2 rocket going by are two examples that spring to mind.
 Oppenheimer - sooty123
I think it's an age thing rather than directors aiming for mumbled dialogue.
 Oppenheimer - Crankcase
Just back from Oppenheimer.

Sound was VERY BLINKING LOUD. However, we didn't miss a single word. I inadvertently had bought tickets for a subtitled performance.

This meant there were only six other people in there, and though they talked all the way through they did it in sign language, so everyone was happy.

As to the film, some of it was excellent, and the tension was well done. Came out with more questions than answers, so that's a plus. My word there's a lot of Oppenheimer biographies to choose from.

Some bits were a bit obviously "movie" rather than "documentary", but heyho.

Worth seeing, enjoyed it, but not one I'd want to see again I don't think.

Cost us £25 for on a Monday afternoon. Cripes
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 31 Jul 23 at 19:02
 Oppenheimer - Fullchat
I too had to question my daughter who I went with as I sort of lost track of the main characters and how they fitted into the overall plot at the end. She cleared it all up for me :)
 Oppenheimer - smokie
Yes I have a tendency to nod off at the pictures too. Expensive snooze, as CC says!! :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 31 Jul 23 at 23:12
 Oppenheimer - Duncan
Problem I have (just one of many) is that I don't recognise that the, say, dark haired bloke wearing grey and the dark haired bloke later on wearing blue, are one and the same bloke. But then of course, sometimes it's the other way round.

There is no hope.
 Oppenheimer - CGNorwich
Sae the film on Wednesday. Another Christopher Nolan triumph. Engrossing all the way through. Sound design was I thought excellent. Cillian Murphy absolutely outstanding, surely an Oscar winning performance. Definitely see this film.

(I want one of those Oppenheimer hats)

Oppenheimer - legacylad
>> I too had to question my daughter who I went with as I sort of
>> lost track of the main characters and how they fitted into the overall plot at
>> the end. She cleared it all up for me :)
>>
I’d be worried for you if you were talking about the Barbie film :-)
 Oppenheimer - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0g3j9cp/oppenheimer

BBC are streaming this. From the 1980s - Going to give a go.
 Oppenheimer - HughA
Just started watching this. Very well done even though its 1980 SD. The acting is superb.
 Oppenheimer - Bobby
variety.com/2023/film/news/christopher-nolan-defends-oppenheimer-sound-refuses-adr-recording-1235686895/
 Oppenheimer - R.P.
Went to see it last night. Despite being out for a while now the cinema was quite busy. Too long by far, but well made al the same. I don't thin I would have watched it all at home.
 Barbie - CGNorwich
Anyone seen it?
 Barbie - tyrednemotional
...asking for a friend...?
 Barbie - CGNorwich
No - plan to see it next week
 Barbie - Zero
Identifying as Ken this week?
 Barbie - CGNorwich
It a major film and will judge it on its merits. I like cinema in all its guises
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 4 Aug 23 at 20:43
 Barbie - Crankcase
Sister in law is seeing it today, and I'm seeing her tomorrow. If I get lectured on the patriarchy she will have got the point, allegedly.

Mrs C has no interest in seeing it at all.

Actually, I quite liked the trailer, so might have to see it on TV perhaps.

Both relevant and irrelevant, I really enjoyed the Barbie Christmas Movie a few years back. I thought it was quite clever and funny.
 Barbie - Crankcase
To reply to my own. Sister in law saw Barbie.

She says it was terrible, and the feminism stuff was out of date nonsense that was obvious, American, and old fashioned. But there are a couple of funny bits.

Who needs Barry Norman?
 Barbie - sooty123
Well somebodies watching it, it's WB fastest film to $1bn worldwide.
 Barbie - zippy
>> Well somebodies watching it, it's WB fastest film to $1bn worldwide.
>>

Damn, that means there will be sequel(s).
Latest Forum Posts