Non-motoring > Petty Theft Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 19

Petty Theft - zippy
A bit of an annoyance.

Went to a local supermarket for some essentials for the week.

Popped the "bags for life" on the hook on the front of the trolley.

Left the trolley next to, but behind me, to bag up some loose fruit.

Turned around and the bags had been nicked!

Nothing of value in them, but annoying none the less, and of course I had to buy new bags at the check out.

If it's not tied down!
 Petty Theft - bathtub tom
Saw a big argument over a trolley after someone accused another of nicking their's. I suppose it was over the quid in it.
 Petty Theft - zippy
Must admit to now thinking, if they're that desperate, let them have it, but of course you never know, whether it's desperation or just scumbags.
 Petty Theft - Bromptonaut
Never seen this sort of thing myself but colleagues have reported similar experiences to Zippy's.

Local Sainsbury now need users of the Self Service tills to retain their receipt and scan it so as to exit the till area. Similar systems in France at Le Clerc places but as somebody who habitually opts out of wasting paper on a printed receipt I didn't pick it up in Sainsbo's and was made to go back and collect it.
 Petty Theft - Bobby
So we will get the customer to do something that saves us from having to pay staff to do, but then we will blockade you until we check that you have done it properly.
What’s next? Having you do an online training course and get accreditation before they trust you?
 Petty Theft - zippy
>>Local Sainsbury now need users of the Self Service tills to retain their receipt and scan it so as >>to exit the till area.

It will be interesting to see the first civil case for false imprisonment when you won't be let out because you didn't pick up the receipt.

I guess the police could arrest the store owner that illegally detains an innocent shopper for not having a receipt, but they won't and of course the CPS will claim that there won't be public interest in prosecuting - effectively letting the stores get away with it.

Another interesting new addition to self service tills is a camera that shows your face on the screen whilst you are scanning. Try an get a GDPR copy of that and your met with - it's just a live image - nothing is recorded. Really!?
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 9 Jul 23 at 23:59
 Petty Theft - Bromptonaut
>> It will be interesting to see the first civil case for false imprisonment when you
>> won't be let out because you didn't pick up the receipt.

My mind went a little way down that route but as the receipt was still sticking out of the till it wasn't a problem. If it hadn't printed or was lost then the whole store's covered by CCTV and I'd had a member of staff confirm I was well over 18 for the wine I'd bought. Furthermore, they'd be able to check the till's audit roll/chip for time and my card.

Petty Theft - zippy
>> My mind went a little way down that route but as the receipt was still
>> sticking out of the till it wasn't a problem. If it hadn't printed or was
>> lost then the whole store's covered by CCTV and I'd had a member of staff
>> confirm I was well over 18 for the wine I'd bought. Furthermore, they'd be able
>> to check the till's audit roll/chip for time and my card.

I have had a number of occasions where I haven't been given a receipt (out of paper, or where the receipt has jammed).

Worst was where I collected the outputted receipt, only to find that it was for a previous shopper and they weren't coming out in order. That could cause problems in stores where they go through your receipt and basket before you leave (Costco for example).

Imaging these machines in 10 years time when they become worn and don't produce receipts or audit rolls properly.
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 10 Jul 23 at 00:28
 Petty Theft - Zero

>> Imaging these machines in 10 years time when they become worn and don't produce receipts
>> or audit rolls properly.

They get fixed Zippy, there is a whole multibillion market place in EPOS maintenance.
 Petty Theft - CGNorwich
>> It will be interesting to see the first civil case for false imprisonment when you won't be let out
>> because you didn't pick up the receipt.

Which of course they will not do. They will simply offer to rescan your groceries. Difficult to see how you can legitimately refuse.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 10 Jul 23 at 10:23
 Petty Theft - sooty123
> It will be interesting to see the first civil case for false imprisonment when you
>> won't be let out because you didn't pick up the receipt.

Do let us know how you get on ;)
 Petty Theft - Fursty Ferret
Discovered the other week that I'd been stealing from Morrisons for months. Self-checkout asks how many plastic bags you've used, and so I assumed the paper ones were free. Apparently not.
 Petty Theft - bathtub tom
Local LIDL introduced ANPR cameras and you had to scan a bar code on the receipt and enter your reg number on a screen at the door.
They then started using grey till receipts that the scanner couldn't read so they had to print a bar code on an A4 sheet of paper.
 Petty Theft - VxFan
>> I assumed the paper ones were free.

Still are free in Tesco. Sod paying 30p for a reusable bag to put my carrots in. I just nip down the bread aisle and get a couple of paper bags instead. I did notice that M&S charge for paper bags recently.

Pretty sure that supermarkets were required by law to provide free plastic bags for fruit/veg and also cooked meats from the deli counter. Seems not not to be the case anymore.
 Petty Theft - tyrednemotional
...carrots and similar just go in the trolley, loose; it's not quite so easy with mushrooms, though.

Local Tescos have all removed paper bags, but the "delivery pickers" still usually have them on their trolley, so I appropriate those.
 Petty Theft - sooty123
You can buy the reusable veg sacks in many supermarkets.
 Petty Theft - VxFan
>> carrots and similar just go in the trolley, loose

Where lazy children have previously been standing and had god knows what on their shoes. Lovely.

>> Local Tescos have all removed paper bags

Even from the bread aisle where I get mine from?
 Petty Theft - tyrednemotional
>> >> carrots and similar just go in the trolley, loose
>>
>> Where lazy children have previously been standing and had god knows what on their shoes.
>> Lovely.
>>

...do you realise what carrots, etc. grow in....

;-)
 Petty Theft - sooty123
> Where lazy children have previously been standing and had god knows what on their shoes.
>> Lovely.
>>

You think that's bad, you should see whats in the carrot fields.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 10 Jul 23 at 14:45
 Petty Theft - smokie
We also put fruit and veg directly in the shopping bag after weighing printing and scanning the label.

We used to have regular Tesco deliveries and started collected the thicker carriers, also keeping the smaller red plastic bags which they put fruit and veg in. We keep a few of them in the bottom of the bags we take shopping. I'd also retained some of their paper bags from deliveries. As a result I cant' remember the last time we used a new bag of any kind.
Latest Forum Posts