Non-motoring > Metered water Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 37

Metered water - smokie
Two neighbours have been telling me they save quite a bit since going to metered water. Is this anyone else's experience?
 Metered water - Bellboy
surely it depends on how many family members you have residing in your tower?
up here in the frozen north we need to leave the taps on full all day so the reservoirs dont break their banks
 Metered water - Bill Payer
Your water supplier probably has an on-line calculator so you can estimate your metered bill.

Ours is with United Utilities and I pay £700/yr (water + sewage). Their calculator (where I was very generous with car washing etc) reckoned £500/yr. My neighbour actually pays £300 year using his meter.
 Metered water - Stuartli
>> Ours is with United Utilities and I pay £700/yr (water + sewage). . My neighbour actually pays £300 a year using his meter.>>

I'm also with United Utilities and pay just under £400 a year (three-bedroomed semi-detached) yet my best mate, who had a meter put in at his one-bedroomed bungalow, pays far more and it's a very sore point with him.

The meter has been checked two or three times, claimed to be OK, but he and his missus aren't extravagant with water usage.
 Metered water - Tooslow
Well it's 14 years ago that we moved here from a 3 bedroomed semi with un-metered water to a 4 bedroom house with metered. The metered option was far cheaper, even with car washing, plant watering etc.

John
 Metered water - Stuu
With a water butt taking care of the garden water needs, our yearly bill is about £350 on a meter and thats with a generous shower each for me and the misses every day, we sure dont worry about it.
 Metered water - devonite
YOICKS!!! >>Ours is with United Utilities and I pay £700/yr (water + sewage).<<

Here at Devonite hovel, i`m with U/U and i pay £168 per year, two half yearly payments of £84 quid - unmetered and unlimited! if you want to live in your Towers and Palaces then you got to pay for it! - but i`d be thinking of diggin a well for that price!!
 Metered water - Bill Payer
>> YOICKS!!! >>Ours is with United Utilities and I pay £700/yr (water + sewage).<<
>>
>> Here at Devonite hovel, i`m with U/U and i pay £168 per year, two half
>> yearly payments of £84 quid - unmetered and unlimited! if you want to live in
>> your Towers and Palaces then you got to pay for it! - but i`d be
>> thinking of diggin a well for that price!!
>>

Nope - it's just a very average 3 bedroom late 60's house in a village.

Is the amount you stated just for water? Just got the bill out and ours is £300 water plus £400 waste water. Based on RV £326. Your RV must be very low.
 Metered water - devonite
>>Is the amount you stated just for water? << = Nope! all in, based on the old rateable value system. I tried U/U`s calculator to see if it would be cheaper on a meter, but found that even if i had one shower a week, (needed or not) did one load of washing and we suffered a severe drought, i would still end up paying twice as much as i do now!
P,S
When i bought Devonite Hovel back in the early 80`s the RV was £56, which at the time was high for this area, this has never changed, although more posh, more expensive places have since been built, to me they are just a more expensive way of "gettin yer ead down" after a hard day, which you now need to do to afford them in the first place!
 Metered water - idle_chatterer
It will depend on your usage, it's supposed not to penalise you and I think it's hard to argue against the principle of paying for what you use of a scarce resource. however having once worked for a water company I try to avoid having a meter where possible - until everyone is compelled to have one then I don't see why I should (I know that's not very public spirited of me).

I suspect that if you have kids at home you're better off unmetered, if you don't then you're probably better off on a meter.
 Metered water - Clk Sec
Having a water meter installed about ten years ago halved our bills.
 Metered water - PeteW
3 bed house, 3 people (2 women!!) = £300 a year on meter. However I am convinced this will reduce now my leak has been sorted because the guys said it could well have been like it (to a lesser degree) since the meter was installed 6 years ago....
 Metered water - Fenlander
Cheap out in the fens... our water is £86-90 a year. Worked out, as a household with two teen girls, metered would be £300-£400 so decision is easily made.
 Metered water - lancara
€25.83 this quarter - water (irrigation going all summer), sewerage and rubbish collection (twice a week)
Last edited by: lancara on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 08:19
 Metered water - Cliff Pope
Private water supply - free. Needs the pump servicing once every 20 years.
 Metered water - spamcan61
Here at Spamcan towers the family of 5 uses approx. 160 m3 of water per year which results in bills of around 170 quid per year for the water and 230 quid a year for sewerage.

In answer to the original question then I did have one chance to have the water meter removed, I did the sums and it seemed we were better of with it; however I forgot the sewerage charge is significantly more than the water charge, so in fact it's probably much the same bill either way.
 Metered water - movilogo
This is what MSE forum says

Flat rate is charged based on number of (bed) rooms in house.

If you have more people than rooms flat rate is better.

Metered water - L'escargot
Try www.uswitch.com/water
 Metered water - The Melting Snowman
We halved our annual £600 bill. But our house is quite big and it's just me and her living here plus a few cats.

It does make you preserve water though - often late at night I will pop out behind a tree before going to bed.
 Metered water - Bellboy
being a melting snowman how do you hide the yellow stains?
 Metered water - The Melting Snowman
I'm a good aim.
 Metered water - Dr Prunesqualler
There was a Dustin Hoffman movie on TV recently where he uttered the immortal phrase:
"If its brown, flush it down. If its yellow, let it mellow"
(I think he meant at night)
Works for me.

We pay just under £300 pa for a family of 3 in a 5 bedroom house, drinkng Yorkshire Water's finest. Not much car washing but a shower for everyone everday.
At the time our meter was fitted we saved a significant amount. Without knowing what the current unmetered charge would be I've no idea what the current saving would be.
 Metered water - Bellboy
One of lifes little pleasures is having a clean bog
No way would i not flush after every use and woe betide anyone else who cant be bothered ,i wonder if those that dont flush dont wash their hands afterwards either?
For the record its my belief that the reason we have so many illnesses in this country from all ethnicities is because dirty habits breed germs

....................................................signed mr grumpy.....

Metered water - CGNorwich
Can't see any link between choosing not to flush the lavatory after urinating and not washing your hands nor indeed what ethnicity has to do with anything.

As a matter of interest urine is the only sterile liquid the body produces.
 Metered water - Bellboy
as i say those that dont flush dont wash and it encompasses all creeds that was my point
 Metered water - madf
Having been in the Far East in WW", my father had an ingrained fear of wasting water. He could and would shave with a cupful of warm water and was frugal in the use of water.

Although not to that standard, I reckon we could halve our water consumption with little ill effect.

But then in Northern Staffs, we usually have LOTS of water... When I see people washing cars with a hose or jet lance and using more than a bucket of water I cringe...

(yes I hose under the wheelarches but it takes 1 minute/arch...and all mud gone..
As for daily showers, if this was Africa I would agree.. But in autumn- winter - spring, most days I struggle to wet my T shirt when running ...)
Last edited by: madf on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 15:10
 Metered water - Tooslow
"Having been in the Far East in WW", my father had an ingrained fear of wasting water. He could and would shave with a cupful of warm water and was frugal in the use of water."

My Dad was in the desert and then India. He too shaved using a mug of hot water.

John
 Metered water - R.P.
We should count or blessings in this country, some people use more clean water to clean their teeth in the morning than some people have to last a day.
 Metered water - Tooslow
True. I can't get wife to turn off tap while she brushes. Why?

John
 Metered water - madf
Running water stimulates the body to emulate the tap...
I guess the daily shower imay be a cultural thing. Mrs Prune is from a hot country where daily showers (often more than one) are the norm . It has rubbed off on me and Prune junior is pushed under whether he likes it or not.
Having said that though, amongst my colleagues a daily shower is quite normal, to the extent that anyone who does not is considered odd.
 Metered water - Perky Penguin
"If its yellow let it mellow; if its brown flush it down"
Probably more to do with not waking the rest of the household with the noisy plumbing than a cash saving measure tbh.
My grandparents got their water out of a pond, so all their water was free. If the pond dried up in summer then they had to take milk churns with their pony and trap to the nearest farm to get water out of the neighbour's pump. We used to go to our grandparents during the summer holidays ~ it wasn't nice having to filter the pond water through muslin before you could have a wash, and then boil it before you could have a drink of water.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 18:53
 Metered water - rtj70
We moved to our new house in May (end of) and just before we came on holiday we had used 21 units of water! That is about £2.50 approx per unit and the fixed amounts on top. In the previous house we paid £60 per month. Same people in the house. Mostly two of us though but the 21 units includes car washing and cleaning a large patio area...

E iveryone know with a meter saves similar sums... They wil l put up the cost when we all have meters :-;
 Metered water - WillDeBeest
Our new house (since June) has a meter (previous owner was retired and solo). We're paying £30 a month on account and that may be too much, since our statement that arrived today shows that the last 50 days have cost us about 67p each.

That's for four people in a biggish four-bed house. Our previous unmetered three-bedder used to cost us about £450 a year, so perhaps not everything is more expensive in the South.
 Metered water - Runfer D'Hills
I wouldn't want to pay a lot for water which has been through several other humans either !
Latest Forum Posts