Non-motoring > Video Doorbell Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 10

Video Doorbell - Duncan
Video doorbells. Nest, Arlo, Ring.

Anybody got one? Recommend a particular one?

I am useless at DIY. I may know a man who could fit it for me.
 Video Doorbell - VxFan
Plenty of choice out there. My mate has a cheap £20 or £30 one. Works fine, and subscription free.

Fix to door frame (either screw or sticky pad). Pair with your wifi and dedicated app, and off you go.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 24 Apr 23 at 14:59
 Video Doorbell - helicopter
I have a Eufy which now works well. It covers my front door and the car parked on the drive. I bought it at the recommendation of my Brother in Law.

I did have a bit of a problem setting it up in particular connecting to wifi but got there eventually. The instructions were not particularly clear.

It is very handy when unwanted callers arrive as you can see them without them seeing you.You just tell them you are not interested in their product for sale, political party or prayer meetings without moving from your chair...

Video Doorbell - Kevin
www.theregister.com/2023/03/17/eufy_lawsuit/
 Video Doorbell - Zero
Depends a bit on what other home automation you have. If you have Alexa, then its ring or blink camera which alerts you to movement and gives a view. if you have google then Nest.
 Video Doorbell - Duncan
We have google.
 Video Doorbell - Falkirk Bairn
Blink doorbell and 2 x Blink cameras covering the garden.
All bought during Amazon discount periods - in total some £120 for all 3.

Local son has Blink internal cameras as well to keep an eye on the dog.

Blinks have been no problem - easy setup & 100% reliable - night vision not as good as some but battery makes installation easy anywhere around the garden, outbuilding etc etc

Aberdeen son has Arlo cameras outside - 2 x back and 1 x front & driveway - it was £400+ IIRC

Texas son has all singing & dancing hardwired cameras & alarms - came with the house he bought 3 years ago. No idea of cost of hardware but the monitoring is eye-watering - his words, not mine.

He travels internally in USA & Canada + internationally for work and can be away for 5/6 weeks in any year so "he can justify the monitoring cost" in his own mind for the safety of wife & kids - it's a gated community with patrols BUT there is the ever present gun problems anywhere in the US.

Video Doorbell - Kevin
>...ever present gun problems anywhere in the US.

No gun problems in Texas - you can buy 'em at K-Mart.
 Video Doorbell - Zero
Yup, just added a 44 Magnum Desert Eagle to my cart for a mere 1700 bucks.

I have to go instore to pick it up tho.
 Video Doorbell - Ted

We were bought a Ring bell/camera for Christmas 2021. Just got round to fitting it with much help on the ' programming ' side. It gives a good clear picture, day and night. It runs off the mains and fires off the Alexa when it's disturbed.

I would like to add a camera to the back of the house, preferably solar powered. Does any of you knowledgeable geezers know if this is possible ?

Ted
 Video Doorbell - R.P.
Ring doorbells back and front. The back one is more for security. All rechargable and work well for months. Also got a dedicated outdoor camera on the shed - just on the cusp of the Wi-Fi - totally reliable. Paid full price for the front door ones, the others were bought massively reduced from Amazon. Cracking bits of kit.
Latest Forum Posts