Non-motoring > Sun tunnels Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 5

Sun tunnels - Bobby
www.velux.co.uk/products/sun-tunnels/sun-tunnels-for-sloped-roofs

I would like something like this. Since we got our extension done we have no natural light coming onto the top Hall unless one of the bedroom or bathroom doors is left open.

Could be a straightforward job for a competent roofer.

Anyone had one? Any thoughts/ advice?
 Sun tunnels - Zero
Seen them in various homes, they work surprisingly well.
 Sun tunnels - Manatee
We have a long landing with no natural light and I did consider a light tunnel. Didn't do it in the end because (1) for best effect it would have had to have been on the front-facing side of the roof, and (2) it would have been right in the middle of a big, otherwise clear, roof storage space.

I just put 4 downlighters in the ceiling, and hadn't thought about it since. But they do work.

One thing I did wonder about was the effect on insulation, and whether they create a cold spot. Where such a cold spot might be would probably depend on whether you have a warm or cold roof.
 Sun tunnels - Zero
Most of the time, they tend to be warm inside.
 Sun tunnels - Bobby
That could be an issue. Wouldn’t take up any loft space but my apex roof is east west facing. Would most likely be put on the east facing side?
And do they lose effectiveness when they get covered in bird s*** over the years?
 Sun tunnels - Fullchat
We have 2 fitted due to the fact the landing has no natural light other than through the uptairs rooms. One facing East and the other West. Bring plenty of natural light in. A full moon lights up the landing. Never noticed any build up of bird poo. There does appear to be a few dead flies at the end of summer. Don't know how they get in as they appear well sealed. Internal cover comes off easily for cleaning although one of them is over the stairwell and a bit of a stretch.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 16 Apr 23 at 17:38
Latest Forum Posts