Non-motoring > Things in threes oral bridges failed Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 7

Things in threes oral bridges failed - zippy
So not as serious as the TIA.

When I was a reckless youth I had an accident that required some teeth rebuilding including having a bridge fitted.

Said bridge, which lasted ~40 years, has now failed and my dentist and a second opinion dentist suggests two implants will now be needed and then a bridge.

Expect no change from £7,000!!!!!!

Dental insurance has said they would never cover the bridge as it’s pre-existing.

So my question to the forum is has anyone had implants fitted and how have they worked out?

Also, has anyone had them fitted at a secondary provider and how did that work?

And I suppose I should ask if anyone has gone abroad to have them done and what was the outcome?

Now waiting for the 3rd thing….
 Things in threes oral bridges failed - bathtub tom
I was advised by a dental technician not to have implants because of my age - 73.
 Things in threes oral bridges failed - smokie
I had an old bridge which was fine but the dentist said the anchor teeth were now loose. I couldn't feel it but I trust them, so after my next annual appt confirmed it and as I ideally wanted a replacement bridge I was sent to the (private) bridge man.

Replacement would have been the same as yours, two implants + bridge, £7k.

When I baulked at that he offered me a plate for £1.2k, which eventually ended up nearer £1.6k,. When he came to do it, he had a LOT of trouble getting out one of the anchor teeth, so I suspect it'd have had a good few more years in it.

Anyway he made the bridge and I had it fitted, and it was paid for.

Whenever I used it I got pain in the back tooth they had attached it to.

After having to go to another private man, they decided that tooth was loose.

I suggested he hadn't done due diligence and got nearly all my money back, really quickly and with no argument, so I suspect he knew he was on shaky ground if I went further.. I now have an NHS plate (which actually fits better than his) which I think was c £400.

Probably of no help but sort of relevant :-)

PS re going abroad, I'd always thought that might be an option (not particularly for dentistry though) but someone I met recently described an absolute nightmare one of their friends had had, so think carefully if you do.
 Things in threes oral bridges failed - Zero
Implants - success depends on how good your jaw bone is.
 Things in threes oral bridges failed - Falkirk Bairn
Upper right front was the Mark3 crown my brother fitted 51 years ago. The Mk1 lasted 2 weeks, the Mk2 about 6 months.

Crusty roll snapped the root.

NHS plate idea rejected..
Implant was to be almost £3,000
Settled for a bridge anchored on both sides - £300+,
12 months later £280 as my gum had receded.

12 months later quite happy.

Had I been younger I might have forked out for an implant but I am 100% happy with my bridge.
 Things in threes oral bridges failed - zippy
>>
>> Had I been younger I might have forked out for an implant but I am
>> 100% happy with my bridge.
>>

The current bridge has been fine up until recently when the left root tooth failed. The resultant gap is too large to re-bridge unfortunately As that would be my preferred option.
 Things in threes oral bridges failed - martin aston
I had an implant last year. It was about £2.5k. In my case it was to replace a single tooth and I was told that if I wanted it done it had to be within a few months of the extraction or else the bone might have receded too much to allow a fixing.
My dental practice has been mine for 30 years, with my particular dentist and I growing old together and they have a state of the art facilities. The implant was done by one of the younger dentists who has a post grad qualification in implants. He was actually at school with my daughter such are the joys of small town living.
There were about 4 or 5 appointments and, aside from the temporary cap working loose (retightened same day) all went to plan. They now include a free check at each routine appointment but any remedial work will now be chargeable.
Given that background of care, expertise and the elapsed time between the main appointments I would be very vary of going abroad for a quick turnaround job. I admit however that I am very lucky to have such a good local practice. The price seemed a lot when he quoted but having gone through the treatment it felt fair value.
 Things in threes oral bridges failed - R.P.
My wife had one last year around 2.1k
Latest Forum Posts