Non-motoring > Strange helicopter movements. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 10

Strange helicopter movements. - Zero
The 4th Chinook movement of the day passed over my place today. Low - Not on flight radar.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 5 Apr 23 at 15:49
 Strange helicopter movements. - R.P.
Coronation practice thing ?
 Strange helicopter movements. - Zero
Yeah, thats a possibility
 Strange helicopter movements. - zippy
Had a Chinook (USAF not RAF) fly over this afternoon. Departed Lydd (perhaps playing on the ranges there).

If you look around Shropshire / West of Birmingham there are often military helicopter flights, I suspect training Ukrainian forces?
 Strange helicopter movements. - zippy
>> Had a Chinook (USAF not RAF) fly over this afternoon. Departed Lydd (perhaps playing on
>> the ranges there).
>>

My mistake US Army...

www.flightradar24.com/2023-04-05/12:31/36x/EASY30/2fc7df10
 Strange helicopter movements. - BiggerBadderDave
The strangest helicopter movement I saw was in the airport. As my plane was taxiing to the runway I watched a plane taxi to its parking spot followed my three huge helicopters. It was odd to see helicopters trundle around on their wheels, not their rotors. Like three ducks waddling.
 Strange helicopter movements. - DeeW
Yesterday while launching at Keyhaven Sailing Club (near Hurst Spit) six Chinooks, in formation, flew over, heading west.
 Strange helicopter movements. - Dave_
I often find green helicopters (and yellow ones) on ADSB Exchange that don't show up on Flight radar 24. We've had the odd Apache coming past at 200ft lately, quite a sight in the daytime.
 Strange helicopter movements. - Bromptonaut
ADSB exchange makes a selling point of showing stuff other systems remove.

FR24 does not.
 Strange helicopter movements. - Bobby
Our local police chopper doesn’t appear on FR. In fact today the Network Rail chopper was above me but didn’t show on FR?
 Strange helicopter movements. - Bromptonaut
>> Our local police chopper doesn’t appear on FR. In fact today the Network Rail chopper
>> was above me but didn’t show on FR?

As mentioned above some things don't show on FR24 because they're filtered out. This used to include most military transport flights by the RAF such as a Hercs, A330 MRTT and A400M machines at Brize Norton. Now they are and I can tell what's up/down the Daventry Radar Corridor which passes over my house.

Also though the way all these systems work whether FR24, Donny Radar, ADS-B Exchange etc work is by consolidating feeds from multiple users operating ADSB boxes in their own homes etc. While that gives pretty well universal coverage at height machines at low level, even those transmitting their full info, are out of sight of a ground station - it uses UHF radio and is line of sight - then they're invisible to the user.
Latest Forum Posts