Non-motoring > Verruca Bazooka ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 29

Verruca Bazooka ! - R.P.
Went for a much needed spa afternoon at a local luxury hotel in late February - what a treat, amongst the highlights was an outside hot tub, superbly warm and a real treat as there was snow all around...like being in Scandinavia !

Fast forward a couple of weeks later had some pain on the ball of my foot....and bingo some unhygienic clown with a verruca had infected me :-(.....most of the treatments seem to be chemical (aka painful) until I stumbled (!) on an NHS article about using Duct Tape....yes you read it right, Duct Tape. So off I went followed the instructions, Duct Tape for a week, take it off file down then Emery board the b****r down, leave uncovered for a weekend, then repeat. Triumph tonight - took it off for a bath and the thing had gone ! No pain at all - result. I've looked after my feet all my life and this episode was horrible.
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Ted

I went swimming at our new leisure centre three times a week until 5 years ago or so.

Then I contracted cellulitis in my right leg. It was a killer. I succumbed to a trip to A&E eventually where I was given IV anti bios. I had to go back for the same for nearly two weeks...every day !

That's when I gave up the swim, although I still wish I could. The changing areas were unisex with all and sundry walking about to get to the cubicles. Heaven knows what could have been trodden into the place. I bought some rubber socks but I had trouble getting them on at home so didn't bother.

It wasn't very user friendly for us old folk. Half was always roped off for schools, even in holidays. the Olympic style swimmers seemed to resent us old folk getting in the way....I was threatened by one but he backed off quickly when I said I'd rip his face off....he got told off by the lifeguard for selfish lane hogging and apologised to me. To cap it all, they reduced the water temperature quite a lot. No doubt trying to kill us all off with hypothermia !

Td
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Duncan
Where I swim, some people wear flip flops to the edge of the pool. I suppose they would have to be in a distinctive colour or pattern, so that nobody walked off in yours?
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Dog
>>To cap it all, they reduced the water temperature quite a lot. No doubt trying to kill us all off with hypothermia !

:-D
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Lygonos
Think I linked this a few years ago, but here is the link I give to patients describing just how to use the duct tape - it works very well compared to salicylic acid or liquid nitrogen:

www.nottinghameczema.org.uk/documents/using-duct-tape-to-clear-viral-w
arts.pdf

Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 3 Apr 23 at 08:58

Hmm won't let me link it without forcing a space between the 'w' and 'arts'
 Verruca Bazooka ! - R.P.
Thanks, I must have missed that - what an amazing cure !

Had to be extra careful at home ! I bought a pair of the rubber socks for future use.
tinyurl.com/c4p-warts-tape

Hope that works - not sure why it wouldn't let me post the link correctly.
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Duncan
tinyurl.com/5fp8wwvm
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Runfer D'Hills
I off road mountain bike at least twice a week, walk the dog 5 miles every day and swim half a mile every day too.
Apart from that, I take no exercise at all.
But I guess duct tape might help to hold me together on occasion…
;-)
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Zero
Its rained so hard here for so long I combine the swim and dog walk.
Might have ever so slightly fallen off a bit yesterday. Landed on my “bad” arm.
Smarted a touch.
;-)
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Zero
One might be tempted to believe that age is eating into your ability to carry out this activity.

The Woodland Bluebell Appreciation Walkers will be starting soon. I'd sign up soon if I were you. Think they will let you take the pooch if on lead, but the lead tends to interfere with your alpine walking poles.
Is that one of those groups where you have to tuck your trousers into red socks?
I’m not sure I could bring myself to be quite so edgy.
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Zero
Yes!
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Zero
>> Might have ever so slightly fallen off a bit yesterday. Landed on my “bad” arm.
>>
>> Smarted a touch.

ChatGPT says:

It's great that you're staying active and enjoying mountain biking at the age of 60! Falling off your bike can be a normal part of the learning process, especially if you're new to the sport or trying to push yourself to new limits. However, if you're finding that your falls are becoming more frequent or serious, it's important to consider your safety and whether continuing with mountain biking is worth the risk.

Before giving up on mountain biking altogether, there are a few things you could try to improve your skills and reduce your risk of falling:

Take a lesson: Consider taking a mountain biking lesson from a qualified instructor. They can help you improve your technique and give you tips on how to stay safe on the trails.

Start small: Try riding on easier trails to build your confidence and skill level before attempting more difficult terrain.

Check your equipment: Make sure your bike is in good working order and fits you properly. A poorly fitted or maintained bike can make it harder to control and increase your risk of falling.

Ride with others: Consider joining a group or finding a riding partner who can help you stay safe and provide support if you do fall.

Ultimately, the decision to continue with mountain biking is up to you. If you're finding that the risk of falling is outweighing the enjoyment you get from the sport, it may be time to consider other forms of exercise or outdoor activities that you find more comfortable and less risky.
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Zero
In Poem form

Here's a poem I came up with:

The thrill of the ride, the wind in your face,
A rush like no other, a heart-pumping race.
But with every fall, a new fear takes hold,
The risk and the danger, the pain and the cold.

At sixty years young, it's time to decide,
To keep pushing on, or to safely abide.
To learn and to grow, with lessons to take,
Or to hang up your helmet, for your own sake.

Start small, build your skill, and your confidence too,
Check your equipment, and ride with a crew.
But if the risk is too great, the price too high,
It's okay to let go, to say goodbye.

To mountain biking, a chapter that ends,
But new adventures await, with new paths to bend.
Stay active, stay strong, with the joy that you seek,
For the journey ahead, is still yours to seek.

Can I wait until after we’ve “done” the Pyrenees this summer? It’s all booked and everything!
;-)
 Verruca Bazooka ! - Zero
Going out with a bang then. Lets hope its not a fatality exit.
Better that than the red sock option!
;-)
 Verruca Bazooka ! - legacylad
>> Can I wait until after we’ve “done” the Pyrenees this summer? It’s all booked and
>> everything!
>> ;-)
>>
French or Spanish ? Andorra and Picos ?
Watch out for a green Hilleberg Akto tent, or some dodgy French folks with a Brit in tow.
Fun all the way...
 Verruca Bazooka ! - tyrednemotional
>> Might have ever so slightly fallen off a bit yesterday. Landed on my “bad” arm.
>>
>> Smarted a touch.
>> ;-)
>>

....jeez, I hope the watch survived ok....

Remember, young man, death is nature's way of telling you to slow down. :-(
That watch seems to be indestructible right enough!
One of my favourite quotes… ;-)

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy s— what a ride!'” ~ Hunter S. Thompson 
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 3 Apr 23 at 16:55
 Verruca Bazooka ! - CGNorwich
Hunter S Thomson - Just had to find out what happene to him in the end

At 5:42 pm on February 20, 2005, Thompson died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head at Owl Farm, his "fortified compound" in Woody Creek, Colorado.

On August 20, 2005, in a private funeral, Thompson's ashes were fired from a cannon. This was accompanied by red, white, blue, and green fireworks—all to the tune of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" and Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Verruca Bazooka ! - Zero

>> Hunter S. Thompson 

Depressed as F---, he shot himself.
Bipolar people can be the best of companions. Some of the time.
;-)
 Verruca Bazooka ! - tyrednemotional
>> Bipolar people can be the best of companions. Some of the time.
>> ;-)
>>

...you might be confusing that with bisexual...
I’ll bow to your wider experience.
 Verruca Bazooka ! - legacylad
:-) :-)
Worth a double grin
Latest Forum Posts