Non-motoring > Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 12

Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - VxFan

Head down to the Kent shoreline for some poop tomatoes.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11789799/Struggling-buy-tomatoes-growing-SEWAGE-beach.html
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - Bromptonaut
>>
>> Head down to the Kent shoreline for some poop tomatoes.
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11789799/Struggling-buy-tomatoes-growing-SEWAGE-beach.html

In the days when train toilets deposited their contents on the track tomato plants were pooping up along the platform at Northampton every year.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 3 Mar 23 at 11:05
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - Robbie34
I shopped at our local Aldi yesterday ands there was an abundance of tomatoes, as well as other fruits and vegetables. Absolutely no shortage of anything except the extra thick white loaves that were sold out.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Fri 3 Mar 23 at 12:55
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - henry k
Certainly not news to me.
i was aware of this happening in my grandma's garden 70+ years ago.
"Compost" was delivered from the sewage works and dumped in the garden.
We had a whole forest of tomato plants from the delivery.

If I have any tomatoes to discard, They are one of the very few "green" items that do not get put in my compost bin but join the food recycling caddy.
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - CGNorwich
I can remember my father buying a product called Dagfert, produced by Romford sewage works.

www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/21478103.heritage-sootigine-dagfert-baxtrol/

Sometimes I take a walk down a disused railway line. There are quite few apple trees along the side of the line. I can only imagine the are the result of apple cores thrown from the carriage windows.
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - Manatee
>> I can remember my father buying a product called Dagfert, produced by Romford sewage works.

Dag from Dagenham?

They used to make 'Organifax' in Halifax. I wonder how many more versions there were?

I have a vague recollection of it being withdrawn, not complying with some fiddle-faddling regulation or other. Perhaps manufacturing could resume now, it might be one of those elusive Brexit benefits?

Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - Bromptonaut
>> If I have any tomatoes to discard, They are one of the very few "green"
>> items that do not get put in my compost bin but join the food recycling
>> caddy.

I suspect it may depend on how the particular composting process works but we've had tomatoes grow in the garden where they were never planted but where we'd spread home made compost.

Similarly Grape Hyacinths. Never planted behind the house but grew multiply there. Loads of then in the front and I suspect seeds found there way round the back after late spring tidying picked up seeds as well as leaves.
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - Manatee
Those with a copy of Richard Mabey's Flora Britannica will be familiar with the fig trees of the River Don.

Found a reference online -

sheffielder.net/2020/02/07/the-fig-trees-of-the-river-don/
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - tyrednemotional
...Blackburn Meadows sewage works, Sheffield's main treatment plant, abuts the River Don and the Canal, the banks of which, in my yoof, were the Sheffield tomato farm. (don't particularly remember fig trees, though).
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - bathtub tom
I know someone with an allotment, opposite the old workhouse. The ground slopes down to the allotments. Locals swear the soil's so fertile because of the 'night soil' that was chucked out of the workhouse windows.

Like ground below railway embankments.
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - R.P.
Popped to the local Morrisons, slightly bare shelves in the tomatoe dept. Two newish Aston Martins in the car-park...strange world
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - zippy
>> . Two newish Aston Martins in the car-park...strange world
>>

Probably (tomato) dealers! :-D
 Struggling to buy tomatoes? Look no further. - tyrednemotional
>> Popped to the local Morrisons, slightly bare shelves in the tomatoe dept. Two newish Aston
>> Martins in the car-park...strange world
>>

...unexpected items in the parking area...?
Latest Forum Posts