Non-motoring > First Cut...is early. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

First Cut...is early. - R.P.
Grass needs cutting, recent mild weather has made it spring despite the lack of meaningful rain in the last month. It was as dry as a bone. I don't particularly note when I do the first cut, but this year it feels earlier than ever. It was last cut in November and the green bin took five loads of grass - normally is 3 to 4 every other week in the "season".....the local river is as low as it was last summer, with a historic fish trap that was visible in last year's drought starting to poke it upper stones through the surface...
 First Cut...is early. - Kevin
First cut...is the deepest.
Hahaha...just had the same conversation with Mrs RP, along with the usual, "you've missed a bit" quips
 First Cut...is early. - Bromptonaut
We had the same thought about the lawn earlier in the week but just after it rained on Wednesday/Thursday. The mower clogs if the grass is too wet.

Won't get done over the weekend as we're down in Kent with Bill the caravan until Tuesday.

Passed the mower over it in late November but as much to pick up leaves from next door's walnut as to meaningfully reduce the height of the grass.

Latest I've cut ours was Boxing Day around ten years ago as it was growing like billy oh.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 18 Feb 23 at 16:36
 First Cut...is early. - Robin O'Reliant
That reminds me, I've got to get a new blade for my Qualcast as the old one was deformed by a large stone on the last cut.
 First Cut...is early. - bathtub tom
Thought about doing mine, but the council don't do a green collection until March. Did see a few ants and stamped down their workings.
Denbighshire collect every two weeks all year round. We've managed to put a full bin out ever since we're here, apart from last week. Made up for it today
 First Cut...is early. - Bobby
My lawn is the exact same length as it was before winter hit. And at summer. And at spring…..

Might need to run the hoover over it though…
 First Cut...is early. - Dave_
Our front lawn is shaded for nine tenths of the day, and barely exists at all within 2 feet of the front of the house. SWMBO has decided we're going to chuck a load of wildflower seeds all over it and not mow it this year. Just have to hope the council don't think it's part of their verge when they come past on the ride-on.
 First Cut...is early. - Duncan
Did mine this morning. First cut of the year.

I feel so pure.
 First Cut...is early. - henry k
I did two cuts earlier this year and considering another one.
Since I have parked my heavy petrol mower and gained a lightweight battery rotary one it is so easy to grab it and "zoom" round.
 First Cut...is early. - CGNorwich
Make sure you get a shade mix when buying the seeds. Many wild flower seed mixes are designed for sunny meadow type areas.
 First Cut...is early. - Zero

>> SWMBO has decided we're going
>> to chuck a load of wildflower seeds all over it and not mow it this
>> year. J

Go the whole hog, put the car on bricks and throw the wheels on the lawn.
A 20 year old caravan with flat tyres and covered in mould and moss are also popular modern adornments to the house frontage. An old pushchair and some discarded plastic toys will complete the look totally, transforming your house and be the envy of your neighbours.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 20 Feb 23 at 10:05
 First Cut...is early. - Clk Sec
Not the view from your new 4 bed detached residence, I trust, CGN?
>> A 20 year old caravan with flat tyres and covered in mould and moss are
>> also popular modern adornments to the house frontage. An old pushchair and some discarded plastic
>> toys will complete the look totally, transforming your house and be the envy of your
>> neighbours.
>>

If you can run to a piebald pony, you can truly say that you have cracked it.
When I had double glazing installed some years back I was speaking to one of the fitters who told me they had a contract with North Norfolk council to install double glazing in their properties.

On visiting a property near Mundesley they found that the French Windows to the living room had been removed and the room converted to a stable with horse in situ
>> On visiting a property near Mundesley they found that the French Windows to the living
>> room had been removed and the room converted to a stable with horse in situ
>>

Which is what the rest of the country calls NFN.
Allegedly it was a term used on their notes by doctors in Norfolk. I like Norfolk, it still for the most part retains it’s identity unlike most of the homogenised South East. I’m not actually from Norfolk although I have lived here for fifty years
 First Cut...is early. - Zero
>> Allegedly it was a term used on their notes by doctors in Norfolk. I like
>> Norfolk, it still for the most part retains it’s identity unlike most of the homogenised
>> South East. I’m not actually from Norfolk although I have lived here for fifty years

Oi likes Norfolk, but oi prefers Suffuk. Its me Essex upbringin init.
Latest Forum Posts