Non-motoring > Manchester 1901 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 4

Manchester 1901 - Ted

A bit of nostalgia for the several Mancunians ( Not ' Mancs '...Ratto ! ) , on the forum.

Filmed in Market Place...the A6...in the year my Granny was 21 and looking forward to her wedding in August.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0QkJNqYpFM

Ted
 Manchester 1901 - RattleandSmoke
I can actually smell the horse muck and the sound of the horses and horse driven trams going by. It will be a very different sound from today. I have actually got a few photos of the city centre from the 1990's and I don't regconise it. I don't think any city in the UK has grown as much as Manchester has in the past ten years.

Of course back then there was some very very rich people and some very very poor people, there wasn't alot inbetween. The amazing thing is our house was built just five years after that footage was taken. It had electricity (lighting only) and hot water as standard. Oh and the bathroom was indoors. Heating was purely coal and one of the fires had a back boiler which was used to heat the hot wate for the bath upstairs. Yet just one mile away there would have been families all sharing a tiny bedroom.

If I was around in Manchester at that time I am not sure where I would have fitted in.
 Manchester 1901 - R40
Thanks for the link Ted. Manchester will always be 'home', wherever I am. Other Mancunians may understand

R40
 Manchester 1901 - RattleandSmoke
Its that feeling that Manchester sucks you in no matter how hard you try and escape. Many students discover that and end up staying putting the house prices up for everybody else! In truth though the diversity is what makes Manchester what it is today.

Back then there would have been diviersity but it would have been a few Irish imigrants, a few Yorkshire folk and maybe a few from as far as London or Wales.

The jobs the folk in the video did back then would have been very different too no doubt.
 Manchester 1901 - Londoner
I found it uplifting and moving at the same time.
Weren't people smartly dressed then!
Latest Forum Posts